Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replied to a thread about the new XTR 11-40 and 2x/3x crankset (XTR fail ( for me, at least) - Page 3) and it got me wondering, from a racing perspective, how many of you on 1x have been on the fence going back to a 2x.

Yes, adding a front derailleur, shifter, cable, housing, bar clutter. The "immense" amount of weight and the unclean lines of no 1x. Maybe not the $$$ XTR, but a tighter cassette with 11 gears and a front derailleur that is supposed to be super slick, quick and easy.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
My current bike is running a single 32 tooth front ring with a Shimano 11-36 in the rear.

I live in Fort Collins, CO and have a mixture of endurance and XC races lined up this year.

I wont lie, my last ride hurt (16 miles, 3.3k ft climbing), but I think my gearing should be fine until I upgrade to the XTR 11-40 (Which will probably come in the form of a new bike in a few years).

I still don't see myself going with a front derailleur.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't know why 2 up front is too much clutter but 11 in the rear is fine. I'm sort of into gears, since I'm old and not as tough as I was 10 years ago. I also don't think there is that much more you can do to a groupo that will count, so we have 1x and it seems new or cool or better. Me, I really dig the top and low end of a triple, it doesn't help me drop others, just keeps me in the game as I'm way too smart to show up to a race with a 1x !!!

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
With SRAM's 42t rear cog is pushing the bubble for some 1x riders, I think Shimano's 40t is going to pop the bubble, it surprises me they didn't go to at least a 42t, that's going to elimate more riders to the benefit of riding 1x.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
42t would require a new freehub. 40t is still compatible with current freehubs. I guess this was a strategic decision by Shimano.

I can see the beauty of 1 x 11. However, living, riding and racing in the Alps I already feel too restricted with 38/24 - 11-36. 1 x 11 would be even tougher.

If I raced only "regular" XC races 1 x 11 would be an option.

1,328 Posts
42t would require a new freehub. 40t is still compatible with current freehubs. I guess this was a strategic decision by Shimano.
Don't you have this backwards (in a sense)? 42 tooth wouldn't require a new freehub but a 10 tooth would.

Unless of course I'm missing something which is certainly a possibility.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I go back and forth between 2x10 and 1x10. I am glad there is a group that can switch around as well. I am interested to see how it stacks up in performance. Also there is no release on an electric group. Hopefully it is not a day late and a dollar short.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
The main thing that I'm not very enthusiastic about with the new XTR is that you don't seem to have any choice of cassettes. It's that 11-40 tooth cassette or nothing (unless some additional Shimano MTB 11 speed cassettes are due to be released also? ).

I wouldn't mind going from 10 speed to 11 speed, whilst keeping multiple front chainrings, but rather than a cassette with a wider range I'd want to utilise that extra sprocket in the middle of the block to reduce the jumps in my existing gearing (I use a SRAM PG-1070 12-32 cassette at the moment).

The idea of having a cassette that's positioned closer to the spokes is a little worrying too. It increases the chance of things going wrong. It would have made more sense to me to use the existing Shimano 11 speed road freehub body from the beginning, rather than force 11 sprockets onto a 10 speed freehub body. Once you'd got past the initial howls of outrage about needing to upgrade freehub bodies and re-dish existing wheels it seems like that would be better in the long term.:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
WR304,

There is an Ultegra 6800 11-32 11-speed cassette on the market. Would need to use a disc compatible hub that has an 11sp free hub for that cassette though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re post of my response to the "XTR Fail" thread in the drivetrain forum.

I personally like Shimano componentry and will withhold final judgment until there are some real test reviews of Shimano's 1 x 11 system but there are several issues that concern me and seem to indicate an unwillingness on Shimano's part to start with a fresh piece of paper and really innovate. Like it or not Sram has really eaten Shimano's lunch by constantly innovating and pushing the design envelope. The three disappointments I see with the new gruppo are as follows:

1) Not offering a 30mm PF30 crankset spindle. From what I gather for a PF30 frame you will need to buy Shimano's new PF BB that accommodates their 24mm Hollowtech II spindle. Hollowtech II is a great design but there may be folks that don't want to run an outboard bearing and a 30MM spindle with a standard PF30 BB is still likely less weight (won't get into argument on whether it is stiffer).

2) Not offering a 28T 1X chainring. Can't say for sure but this seems to me to be a sign of reluctance on Shimano's part to really innovate. I suspect that a 28T presents BCD / spider engineering challenges and that is why Sram has a funky BCD on their 1X cranks.

3) Not offering a 42T cog. Same as 2 above ... unwillingness to innovate. Again, I suspect that their are engineering / design challenges with a 10 x 42 11 speed cassette which is what drove Sram's XD1 driver. I applaud Shimano's desire to remain backwards compatible with standard Sram /Shimano drivers but it may not be possible to use this driver for a true wide range 11 speed MTB cassette.

I will be sticking to my Sram 1 x 11 driven train for the foreseeable future. While expensive it works flawlessly and has design advantages and gearing flexibility not offered by Shimano.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts