Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just went to take the new bike for the maiden voyage. got 100ft and heard something on the back tire. look at that, I ran over a small pointed piece of glass and the tip was stuck in my tread area. I see sealent hissing out of the wound. I pull out the shard and sure enough all the air comes out along with some sealant. I have brand spanking new hutchinson spider tubeless tires, olympic rims with olympic rim strip, and 2 cups of stans sealant. what did I do wrong? I see pictures with 40 screw drivers stuck in a tire and mine cannot handle a 1/8" cut? I popped the tire off, took out all the sealant and replenished with 2 fresh cups. it still will not seal the wound. any ideas?

·
Registered
202 Posts
My first reaction is, wow, that must be some cut, but you say it's small, so I don't know. I've been running Stan's in UST tires for almost two years, with no flats. And I almost never use even one full scoop per tire! I have seen it work with small goathead-type stuff that can otherwise flat tires fast. I do ride with it almost exclusively off-road, though, so maybe I haven't had the pleasure of glass-on-UST yet. I don't know about the Stan's marketing stuff, screws, nails, etc., though I often have wondered. As far as I know, some cuts cannot be sealed due to how they were made, where in the tire they are, etc. No setup can be 100% flat-proof, of course.

My guess: you were unlucky. With what you describe, this situation probably would have flatted anything. If the tire can be patched, try again.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, after all I heard I am surprised. it is a small cut. after putting in the new sealant I set the tire vertical with the wound at the bottom. after some minutes it appears to be sealed, but now I am somewhat afraid to ride it thinking as soon as I do it will go flat. guess I will order a new tire, so much for the 100ft of use on this one!

·
Registered
202 Posts
vortrex said:
... after some minutes it appears to be sealed, but now I am somewhat afraid to ride it thinking as soon as I do it will go flat. guess I will order a new tire, so much for the 100ft of use on this one!
I have no personal experience, but how about patching it?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I just got back from a 4 mile park ride and did not lose any air. it seemed to seal after letting the wheel sit vertical with the sealant/slice at the bottom for a while. I'll watch it and see what happens. still confused why it did not seal the wound when it occured (I thought that was the whole point?).

·
Gimme my MOJO!
174 Posts
vortrex said:
well I just got back from a 4 mile park ride and did not lose any air. it seemed to seal after letting the wheel sit vertical with the sealant/slice at the bottom for a while. I'll watch it and see what happens. still confused why it did not seal the wound when it occured (I thought that was the whole point?).
When the cut occured, did you just watch it deflate? You should have let the cut be at the bottom of the wheel as the air was escaping.

How stans works is the little rubber granules jam themselves into the hole and the liquid holds them together like glue. If you rotated your wheels so that the cut was on top, sure, you may get some spray of sealant coming through the cut, but you wont get enough granules to jam the hole.

You do know what granules I'm talking about right? You did the "shake the bottle and pour out while fully inverting the bottle" thing right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My stan's worked about the same way

When I tested my Stan's in nearly the same way, my experience was nearly the same. I ran over a piece of glass and I heard a hissing noise getting louder and softer in a doppler kind of way. I stopped and sealant and air were hissing around a piece of glass stuck in my tread. I pulled out the glass, the hissing continued and sealant continued spurting. I held my finger against the wound for a second and the hissing diminished and withing a second or two the hissing stopped. I put a few more pounds of air in the tire with my hand pump and finished my ride to work. My tires had little tread left, so I ordered new ones, the old worn out ones lasted until the new ones arrived, without leaking.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup, the sealant was shaken well. at the time I think I was in a little bit of shock after only getting 100ft on the first ride of my new bike and getting a puncture. at the time I did not think about putting the wound to the bottom. honestly, the air came out pretty fast anyways and I would have needed more put in at home. for some reason I just assummed it would be an automatic seal, not having to stop, hold finger on it, rotate to bottom, etc.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah that was my mistake. I sat there and stared at it too long while I watched my sealant spurt away. next time I will know the routine to (hopefully) get it to mend the wound quicker.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have used Stans for two years now and have not had a flat. I think a big factor to getting a good seal, is that when you inflate the tire when first setting up the Stans, use a floor pump.... Don't use a compressor, a compressor will cause the Stans to gob up.

The first time I installed I used a compressor, when I took the tires off I noticed small gobs of the Stans. Last year I used a floor pump, just like it says in the directions. When I took off my tires this spring, no gobs just the Stans in perfect liquid form.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Your assumption is right most of the time.

After you get more time on your setup, you'll start to find all sorts of stuff stuck in your tire that normally would have resulted in a flat but that you didn't even notice until you looked for it! It's actually a good idea to get into the habit of checking the inside of your tires for thorns and stuff whenever you dismount them. Otherwise you may end up having to use a tube some day only to have it punctured immediately.

I've had cuts at large as 1/4" seal, but they usually take more time and are not reliable long term - especially those on thinner sidewalls. My general rule of thumb is that I repair all cuts when I get home. I've got tires that look like Frankenstein due to all the stitches and patches! I don't throw tires out until they are bald or damaged beyond repair. Punctures don't ever seem to be a problem.

You may also want to check that your sealant has a good amount of sealing particles dispursed thruout. It should be obviously gritty. If it's got too much liquid, it won't repair cuts nearly as well.

PS. I've also never had issues with using a compressor. In fact, that's all I ever use. Just be sure to keep the valve at the 9 or 3 o'clock position, not 6 where all the sealant is pooled!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Gripshift said:
... Don't use a compressor, a compressor will cause the Stans to gob up.

The first time I installed I used a compressor, when I took the tires off I noticed small gobs of the Stans. Last year I used a floor pump, just like it says in the directions. When I took off my tires this spring, no gobs just the Stans in perfect liquid form.
I have heard of CO2 inflators doing this, but not a compressor. A floor pump is just a manual compressor.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
MY stans works great

I have used it for quite a wile now with no flats I had best luck with specialized non tubless roll x tires they set up easily and never needed any atention. Now I am running Kendas and it took a lot of patience to seal them up but now they are working great. I pulled nails glass and a large screw out of my tires last year and it was purfect. I don't know why so many people have such problems with this stuff I have nothing but good results. I often wounder if diferent climates have an effect on the sealent.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
shiggy said:
I have heard of CO2 inflators doing this, but not a compressor. A floor pump is just a manual compressor.
AIr compressors do have a lot more moisture in the air than a floor pump. This is why they have a valve at the bottom of the container for removing water (which I always forget to do), and why for painting and air finishing they suggest putting an inline water filter.

I wonder if the moisture from compressed air might be causing some of the balling? I might try airing up with a compressor then removing almost all the air and then re-doing with a floor pump just to experiment.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
My compressor/Stan's experience...

I haven't had any of the clumping or balling issues when using my compressor for initial inflation, and to seat the bead. Perhaps my compressor hasn't built up enough moisture, but I've been using Stans (or a Stan derivative) for about three years now, and wanted to share my experience.

The best non-UST tires I've found include the Hutchison Python Gold (not new generation), the S-Works Enduro 2.2, and pretty much any Nokian tire. I've also had good luck with various Bontrager tube-type tires running tubeless.

I've had tire failures running Stans with the following tires: Hutchison Python AirLite 2.3 (new generation -- blew off the rim at 40lbs of pressure); Intense tires (2.25 XC blew off rim; System 2 developed a "bubble" in the casing); IRC Backcountry 2.25 (blew off rim) and the Michelin Hot S "reinforced" (developed a 2-inch tear in the sidewall parallel to the outer casing ply in the second week -- tire ruined).

Good luck!
MG

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
vortrex said:
just went to take the new bike for the maiden voyage. got 100ft and heard something on the back tire. look at that, I ran over a small pointed piece of glass and the tip was stuck in my tread area. I see sealent hissing out of the wound. I pull out the shard and sure enough all the air comes out along with some sealant. I have brand spanking new hutchinson spider tubeless tires, olympic rims with olympic rim strip, and 2 cups of stans sealant. what did I do wrong? I see pictures with 40 screw drivers stuck in a tire and mine cannot handle a 1/8" cut? I popped the tire off, took out all the sealant and replenished with 2 fresh cups. it still will not seal the wound. any ideas?
The tyre has to be spinning for the sealant to work.
From your description of events you had stopped and pulled the shard out. The sealant would have been at the bottom and the stuff coming out would only have been liquid with little or no solid particles in it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
ashwinearl said:
AIr compressors do have a lot more moisture in the air than a floor pump. This is why they have a valve at the bottom of the container for removing water (which I always forget to do), and why for painting and air finishing they suggest putting an inline water filter.
How is that? Compressor or foot pump, it's the same air with the same moisture content that gets compressed

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Air compressors produce tons of moisture. That is why all compressor tanks have drains on the bottom.

I second Spider Airlites not working good with Stans. Mine have stayed on the rim well, but have had two episodes of the knobs tearing off the tire. When a knob rips, the hole is too big Stans to seal it.

UOTE=MikeDee]How is that? Compressor or foot pump, it's the same air with the same moisture content that gets compressed[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.