Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the original chain on my stumpy hardtail after a few years of use and I sized the new chain using the park tool big/big recommendation plus two links recommendation. I compared it to the original chain just for kicks and the original it was about four links longer (the whole link so about 4 inches). I get so much less chain slap now it's great.

Then I looked at the chain on my new Pitch and when I am in the small chainring and the second or third smallest gear on the cassette the derailleur looks like it is about to fold back on itself. I was thinking about shortening the chain, but read the caveat about some full suspension bikes "growing" when the rear is compressed. Does the FSR design "grow" and should I worry about my chain, or just trust that the guys who put it together knew what they were doing?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Remove the rear shock, fully compress the rear suspension by turning the bike up side down or hold it in place with a old tube some how or another (if the bike is on a rack), now size the chain "Big Big" as you say, and never worry about the chain being to short or long again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.