Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the vague title, but was thinking about shock placement, horizontal vs vertical!

Basically, when the shock compresses (through rear wheel travelling upwards in relation to the front triangle) the shock in the Rune/Heckler etc is compressed. This acts in a horizontal manner, on the down-tube. For an equal and opposite reaction to occur, wouldn't this have the result of trying to 'push' the downtube forward, thus resulting in the whole bike accelerating very slightly forward?

If the shock is placed vertically (Wildcard/RFX), does this result in a more planted feel where the resulting force from the compression of the shock drives the frame down into the ground?

I'm probably talking about a similar level of physics to those infernal perpetual motion machines... i.e. rubbish.

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Yup, got to remember Newton's laws here! Every force exerts and equal and opposite force.

Although yes, the shock will push the shock mount forward, the overall linkage will exert an overall combined force of zero on the frame as a whole, as the rocker pivot pushes backwards etc etc and everything is welded together. it all balances out and will have no effect on the ride, but obviously has an effect on where the stresses on the frame are experienced.

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duh... I'll go back to dreaming of riding one of the new batches of Runes rather than trying to think how they work!

Are you still looking at Feb for the 30.9 versions to come out?

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.