Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to order a bike from specialized. The only options they offer for ordering is to ship the bike to an authorized retailer for pickup. So I am wondering, will the authorized retailer assemble the bike for me and have it all set up for no additional charge? Or will I be picking my bike up from them in a box unless I pay them extra to assemble it?

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Call the store and ask them. No one on this forum can answer that question unless they happen to be an employee at that specific store.

I am 99% certain they will assemble and set it up for you. Most brands like that will NOT allow their bikes to be sold without professional assembly. It may seem easy, but I have seen some home mechanics royally screw up new bikes because they don't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would make sense then why they only have the option to ship it to a retailer. There is no option to have the bike shipped to your house at all. Being new to mountain biking I would not be comfortable assembling my new expensive bike by myself sense I know certain parts have to be set to spec, bearing may need adjusted, and wheels trued. All of which I have no idea what I'm doing. Im sure it would seem to go together just fine but then I would be having issues shortly down the line lol.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
That's a big deal in the industry: direct-to-consumer sales. Companies to do that have to take one the risks and complications of customers damaging their bikes and assessing warranties remotely. With bike dealers, the shop has to take on those risks and mitigates them by employing (hopefully, but not always) skilled mechanics.

I think you're making the right choice to get your bike assembled by a pro this time around. Most likely, the cost is the same whether your order it online or buy it in person at the shop, so it might be a good idea to visit the shop to get advice about the sizing and components.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Makes no diff if you order it on line or at the LBS. The shop must assemble it and it's included in the price. The dealer makes the same markup on it as if you walked in and bought it there in the first place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.