Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hurt your back???

....I am between sizes so I bought the smaller bike to throw around more......not sure if this is the cause Of my back hurting mid back in the vertibrea not muscle,....doctor next week

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You might consider getting more overall fitness before worrying about "throwing your bike around" more. That big lump up front isn't good for your back. Maybe you should get a bike that fits better for other purposes and actually ride it more, like climbing instead of doing dh/huck runs so much. JMHO.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Back pain comes from a lot of things- you're cleats could be poorly positioned, saddle height too high/low, saddle too far back/forward, bars in the wrong place... etc. If it's not medical, then it will either be your core body fitness or riding position. There's a lot of stuff out there (google) or if you know a good LBS, they should be able to help you out.

Every cycling enthusiast should do some core fitness exercises- I do a '4 point bridge' 8 reps of 30 sec each at least every 2 days. This has made me more stable when I pedal, and allowed me to deliver more power to the pedals as a result. Also eliminated my minor back pain I used to get. Maybe worth a try- it's all about getting the right abs and lower back muscles a little stronger.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
majura said:
Back pain comes from a lot of things- you're cleats could be poorly positioned, saddle height too high/low, saddle too far back/forward, bars in the wrong place... etc. If it's not medical, then it will either be your core body fitness or riding position. There's a lot of stuff out there (google) or if you know a good LBS, they should be able to help you out.

Every cycling enthusiast should do some core fitness exercises- I do a '4 point bridge' 8 reps of 30 sec each at least every 2 days. This has made me more stable when I pedal, and allowed me to deliver more power to the pedals as a result. Also eliminated my minor back pain I used to get. Maybe worth a try- it's all about getting the right abs and lower back muscles a little stronger.
Its worth noting that SMT is a DHer. He isn't sitting on his seat much, and I doubt he runs clipless.

Are you referring to the M3?

I think making your lower back stronger would be as effective as anything. Do some exercises and see how things go.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
majura said:

I repositioned muy saddle back an inch and a half and presto,...it went away first ride.....ythanks for the help

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
You might consider getting more overall fitness before worrying about "throwing your bike around" more. That big lump up front isn't good for your back. Maybe you should get a bike that fits better for other purposes and actually ride it more, like climbing instead of doing dh/huck runs so much. JMHO.
I have gone from 225 to 202...and still working on it....goal was originally 200 but now it is 195

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Good going on the weight loss SMT, I'm no stranger to the lump up front myself, was up in the 230 range at one point, now range between 185 and 195 depending on time of year (i.e. the lump is smaller, but not gone, although it has eliminated occasional problems with back pain I had before the weight loss). FWIW, moving your seat back an inch and a half is a lot and can affect your knees adversely, too, depending on pedalling needs.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Good going on the weight loss SMT, I'm no stranger to the lump up front myself, was up in the 230 range at one point, now range between 185 and 195 depending on time of year (i.e. the lump is smaller, but not gone, although it has eliminated occasional problems with back pain I had before the weight loss). FWIW, moving your seat back an inch and a half is a lot and can affect your knees adversely, too, depending on pedalling needs.
I was running too tight of a cockpit.....trying for more sharper turning

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.