Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have my Gary Fisher (2003 model) painted. I can have it done for free by some very reputable automotive painters that I know but I'm concerned about voiding the bike's warranty. It's a lifetime warranty and it'd be a shame to screw myself over just to have a fancy paintjob...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Call up GF customer service and find out for reals.

Every company has a different policy. Santa Cruz, for example, voids the warranty if anyone other than Santa Cruz paints it.

If you do get it painted, make sure the auto shop masks off the headtube and BB areas. Otherwise you will find yourself spending a sunday afternoon with a pick and file getting rid of paint on the BB threads and scrapping off paint from inside the headtube. This happens all the time when a non bike painter paints bike frames.

·
Registered
54 Posts
dirtpaws said:
If you do get it painted, make sure the auto shop masks off the headtube and BB areas. Otherwise you will find yourself spending a sunday afternoon with a pick and file getting rid of paint on the BB threads and scrapping off paint from inside the headtube. This happens all the time when a non bike painter paints bike frames.
I just had my frame painted and had my lbs reface the headtube and bb, you can also throw them a couple of bucks to retap the bb threads if it gets a little messy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
deaner said:
I'd like to have my Gary Fisher (2003 model) painted. I can have it done for free by some very reputable automotive painters that I know but I'm concerned about voiding the bike's warranty. It's a lifetime warranty and it'd be a shame to screw myself over just to have a fancy paintjob...
Short answer.. yes, it will void your warranty. Fisher (or TCG actually) can not guarantee the work of anyone but themselves, so if anyone else repaints the frame, they can't be responsible anymore for it. So your warranty will in fact be voided if you repaint it. The longer answer would be that it would totally depend on your local Fisher rep if they honor the warranty or not. I have seen my local rep warranty a cracked frame that was repainted in the past, so it's kind of subjective. But the person who repainted that frame was Joe Bell, and most bike companies are well aware of his qualifications.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Post some pics of painted bikes!!!

I can't imagine it would void your warranty. As long as they don't mess with the serial numbers etc....

I wanna see some pics of painted bikes though!! Anyone?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
thunder said:
I can't imagine it would void your warranty. As long as they don't mess with the serial numbers etc....

I wanna see some pics of painted bikes though!! Anyone?
No offense but is your imagination that small?

Of course they can void your warranty.
They wrote it with all the appropriate escape clauses.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah..

archer said:

My imagination is that small. Actually I work in retail so I have more experience than imagination. I've seen this sort of thing before and as long as nothing major is changed(like the color) the warranty is usually good. It does depend on the manufactor and sometimes talking to the right person. Believe me, I see it all the time. Just because the bike is now a different color doesn't mean they won't cover a part not affected by "paint". Get real.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
archer said:

in fact, most brands have listed "installing accessories" in the escape clauses. Putting a bottle cage on, or applying reflectors/reflectorized tape yourself is actually grounds to void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
thunder said:
My imagination is that small. Actually I work in retail so I have more experience than imagination. I've seen this sort of thing before and as long as nothing major is changed(like the color) the warranty is usually good. It does depend on the manufactor and sometimes talking to the right person. Believe me, I see it all the time. Just because the bike is now a different color doesn't mean they won't cover a part not affected by "paint". Get real.
Please check the forum for previous posts from owners who repainted their bikes and later had the warranty voided. No doubt they may treat each case independantly but there have been several people who had rude awakenings according to their side of the story in the past three or four months.

Interesting that you say: "...the warranty is usually good. It does depend on the manufactor and sometimes talking to the right person. ..."

And then you tell me to "Get real."
All I said was they wrote the warranty they can certainly put in clauses that allow them to void it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thunder said:
Just because the bike is now a different color doesn't mean they won't cover a part not affected by "paint". Get real.
I think when you get down to it the major issue a mfg will have with you painting their frame is how you prep it. If you are using paint strippers, sandblasting, or excessive sanding on the welds you may have some issues. If you lightly sand the frame and have the paint applied properly you might be ok.

The way I see it is if I break my frame the chances of me using the same one are pretty slim, I am sure if something breaks I will be looking into something a little bit beefier.

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an older forum but I have emailed Santa Curz this week about this question and this is their response.

Michae M. (Santa Cruz Bicycles)

Jun 26, 12:18 PM PDT

Hey Brad,

You are welcome to paint the frame (we definitely recommend taking it to a professional for highest quality results) and it will not void your warranty. However, if any issues or damage arise as a result of the paint, we won't be able to support that through the lifetime guarantee. The warranty will still cover you for any manufacturer's defects and you will still be eligible for no-fault crash replacements as well.

Let us know if we can answer any other questions for you. Thanks for reaching out,

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
44,367 Posts
Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

Not just the warranty, but the fact that two people posted in this old thread dating back 14 years but both only have 1 post under their belt. And both with join dates this month. Could it be the same person with two identities? Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is kinda odd. I was researching the topic to make sure I am saving up for the best bike for me. Right now, I really like the SC Bronson and glad to hear Santa Cruz is somewhat on board with painting.
If you give me your credit card information though, I would be willing to let you buy me a Bronson, and I will pay to get it painted and show you the results though :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.