Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Licenses and endurance races

• I won't race if I have to have a license - no matter what.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll race with a license if I can race with everyone else on the same course no matter what class.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I get a license every year so it doesn't matter.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I won't race if the race costs too much....license or no license.

Votes: 12 48.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not an O2 thief.
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting on a long race down here in El Paso. I've got the entry fee down to $40. Additional fees are $4 for park entry and another $8 if you want to camp. It is USAC sanctioned because they are freakin' cheap, but you need a license. I have had more than a few complain about the need for a license. You can race our full 50 mile course in the Cat 2 category using a $5 one day license and still be eligible for overall prize money.

Does the need for a license determine what races you do?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
David -

I love your race idea and with time the Puzzler very well could make the must-do list for those in the southwest. I hope to make it this year but dunno if the schedule will allow. FWIW I think the Puzzler would be an epic early November race. Just my opinion, but back in the day it was normal for us in the North to head south at the tail end of the season just because we didn't want to don on the cold weather gear. That and alot of folks were delaying the inevitable - switching to road bike season. Of course the corss people will tell you November is a bad month for a mountain bike race, so what do I know?

Just my two cents, but you deserve major proprs for putting this on. El Paso would suprise the vast majority of people in how awesome the mountain bike scene is - throw Las Cruces into that mix as well of course.....But El Paso rocks...quite literally!

Thank you for doing this!

Matt

fastmtnbiker33w said:
I'm putting on a long race down here in El Paso. I've got the entry fee down to $40. Additional fees are $4 for park entry and another $8 if you want to camp. It is USAC sanctioned because they are freakin' cheap, but you need a license. I have had more than a few complain about the need for a license. You can race our full 50 mile course in the Cat 2 category using a $5 one day license and still be eligible for overall prize money.

Does the need for a license determine what races you do?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
At the Firecracker50 they use a "mavrick" catagory to allow those with skills and no yearly USAC licence to compete. It's the national and USAC is mandatory for the National jersey, but you can race, and compair times without a full year license. $49 is still a cheap entry, what's to complain about, <$1 per mile=bargain

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Either way works at 24 hr Nationals. Having a USACL outs you in the running for a Stars-n-Stripes jersey. Not having a USACL just puts you in a different category...
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CATS*:
• Men's Solo Championship*
• Women's Solo Championship*
• Junior Championship* (4 riders)
• Masters 30+ * (4 riders, all 30+)
• Men's Team (4 riders)*
• Women's Team (4 riders)*
• Duo Men*
• Duo Women*
• Mixed Duo*

FOUR PERSON TEAMS:
• Coed Open
• Men's Sport
• Coed Sport
• Older Than the Hills (ALL Age 35+)
• Older than Dirt (ALL 45+)
• Clydesdale (ALL 200+ lbs.)
• Singlespeed
• Women Sport (4)

OTHER 24 HOURS CATS:
• Solo Freak Man (non-championship)
• Solo Freak Woman (non-champ.)
• Solo Singlespeed
• 5 Rider Open

• Duo Open

12 HOUR CATS:
• Solo Man
• Solo Woman
• 4 Rider Open
• Duo Open
• 4 Women
• 4 Juniors
• Clydesdale (ALL 200+ lbs.)

* Must hold an Annual USA Cycling- MTN license to compete in National Championship Categories.
If you're a promoter trying to satisfy the most number of riders, having it be an either/or situation would work well.

As far as the entry fee, that's a different story.
HOW MUCH? (PER PERSON)

..........Before May 30....June 1-June 30.......July 1-30.....Onsite.....Mail-in
Per Person........$85..............$95..................$105..........$110....Add $10
Juniors..............$30..............$30....................$30..........$40...........$40
There's no discount for having a USACL, it just puts you in a different category.

·
Not an O2 thief.
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that breakdown Caffeine. When/if our entry #'s get MUCH bigger, that will be something to consider.

We hope to have more than 50 entrants this year. Last year was about 25. We will change our date next year.....maybe in the fall...but more likely over MLK weekend. Much of our racing population is south of the border. Attracting them is pretty tough as their races are usually around $20-$25 dollars...even for their all night 12 hour race.

I think our location is a tough thing to overcome. But sheeez. People fly into El Paso then drive another 5 hours for Mas o Menos....and we've got way better trail, more restaurants, cheaper camping, and real motels. Our race is half as much and we'll have almost the same amount of money for the winners as MoM.

It seems I always meet people whose main excuse for not racing is the fact that you need a license. I guess I could jack the price up for the event and include the license fee and the only things a license holder would benefit from is not having to fill out a one day license application. It's always something. I'm new to this promoting/directing thing and every promoter I meet says that you'll never make everyone happy.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
fastmtnbiker33w said:
I'm new to this promoting/directing thing and every promoter I meet says that you'll never make everyone happy.
That sums it up!

For what you guys are offering, it's a bargain. I've been amazed, for years and years now - at all the whining that goes on about licensing. It's a tiny itsy-bitsy drop in the dang bucket - costing less that a lot of folks spend on a chain for pete's sake - so what is the big deal?

Can you get a less formal permit from USAC? I think they have an informal ride/training race type permit that covers all the same stuff - but am not sure about categories and awards affects.

Hope to make it down - and if I do, it'll be a last minute thing so we'd need to 'work out' the crazy-late registration problem I would present :D .

As Matt T. noted - with a little more promotion and another season or two - you have the makings of one grade A seriously cool mofo event that could get much bigger. MoM did sound lame in comparison - though the event is run by what sounds like a great group of folks who make it awesome despite a less than stellar course...?

·
3,049 Posts
The idea of a license is lame, but I utterly understand how it makes an organizers life easier (insurance, I presume?).

I'll buy a one day if the race is good. I did it for the after-work XC stuff here this summer, cuz I could drink my fee's worth of free beer after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.