Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting slower and slower loads of MTBR pages. Some threads I just give up on because of the {infinite} load times. Other internet links do work fast so I can't blame the connection itself (Adelphia Cable BTW). Anyone else have the same problem?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
pacman said:
I'm getting slower and slower loads of MTBR pages. Some threads I just give up on because of the {infinite} load times. Other internet links do work fast so I can't blame the connection itself (Adelphia Cable BTW). Anyone else have the same problem?
We need an new ad engine.

For some reason, with about 10% of the users, the page stalls on the ad server, spinbox.

Good news is we got one. We are testing it now on some of our smaller sites. It should be here within 30 days.

francois

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah!

pacman said:
I get slow home page downloads, especially with the Hot Links. The Top Banner ad comes up quick, but all else is slow. Some threads load slow. All of this depends on the time of day too.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
francois,

have you seen a difference between firefox and ie. It seems to me that firefox stalls more on spinbox then ie. I usually use firefox, and I've been hitting the refresh button a lot :)...

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Foxfire gets rid of some adds but I agree the ad server seems to be the hold up may times. In general if you like a faster better browser with very limited security issues Foxfire is by far the bestand soaks up the least resources, warning it does not support many animated gifs so some avatars are a bit dull ;)

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Good news, Francois. Just curious, as I was wondering just last night about this, about how much hardware does it take to run mtbr, can you enlighten us?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I belong to a soccer equivalent of MTBR that has nearly 56,000 members. Several years ago the administrators switched from a free site to a site that offered both free member access and paid member access. The main difference was that if you were a paid member of this message board, you got ad free surfing of the site as well as a speedier connection. I don't know the logistics behind this but it certainly works. If you were a member you also got some additional features such as use of an avatar and bigger private message storage among other things. I've been paid member for the past couple of years and definately will not go back to just being a free member. The surfing experience is just that much better. I think a paid membership is $30 or so a year. Alot of the money was used to upgrade their servers and it benefitted both free members and paid members, but the paid members saw more benefits.

I rarely surf MTBR at home cuz I have an old laptop and dial-up :rolleyes: connection and it's just painful to sit there waiting for a thread to load. Surfing MTBR at work is much more easier.

Nick

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
Foxfire gets rid of some adds but I agree the ad server seems to be the hold up may times. In general if you like a faster better browser with very limited security issues Foxfire is by far the bestand soaks up the least resources, warning it does not support many animated gifs so some avatars are a bit dull ;)
Firefox supports animated gifs just fine. Maybe you have a feature turned off or something or a plugin not installed?

Firefox doesnt support active x which the cause of many security holes in IE.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I also find myself refreshing more frequently.

I'm using Firefox at home and on my work computers but sometimes use IE depending on were at work I am. What I have noticed is that sometimes the pics won't load even after refreshing, could that be related to the poor performing ad server?

Francois, I'm willing to lend a hand if you send me plane tickets and reserve the 5-Spot for me during my stay :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.