Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if you are not an American?

Is it still "top shelf" when comparing to some overseas production facilities?

When considering today's global economy, is it fair to demand a Premium for American Made goods and services if we are simply 'on par' with the global market. Even some Asian companies can and will produce to any specification.

The throw away society we live in is not conducive to demanding a premium for "quality" products. DT can only afford to hold on to 'Merican marketeering for so long:skep: .

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jaybo123 said:
Great question. Why do you ask?
Well, even the DW LINK (holy grail) can't go global at these prices and I don't think "Americans" will care too much longer. DT has stated that he will not be moving production overseas. I'm not sure that DW agrees:eek:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Here at PUSH I was recently faced with a "what do I do" decision regarding the long term security of manufacturing for our parts. During this process I received my monthly MotorTrend magazine and in it was this ad:

http://www.weathertech.com/UserFiles/File/amessagefromdavidmacneil.pdf

We purchased the first of three new HAAS CNC's a couple of weeks ago. Not the easy route for us, but one I feel strongly about. For me it's not about the global value, but what it means to my company and the people that work for me.

Darren

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PUSHIND said:
Here at PUSH I was recently faced with a "what do I do" decision regarding the long term security of manufacturing for our parts. During this process I received my monthly MotorTrend magazine and in it was this ad:

http://www.weathertech.com/UserFiles/File/amessagefromdavidmacneil.pdf

We purchased the first of three new HAAS CNC's a couple of weeks ago. Not the easy route for us, but one I feel strongly about. For me it's not about the global value, but what it means to my company and the people that work for me.

Darren
Admirable, but silly..IMO.

It's different in your case. You offer a unique service. If you had competion, HERE, you might think differently.

The "American" bike companies are putting out some damn fin offerings ....IMO

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not American.

I think that Turner could go overseas and the quality will be the same. But, I think that having their own facility in California would make their frames even better. Even if DT travels to SAPA every now and then it's not the same. IMHO building the frames "In House" gets the best results.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Keep it in the USA

It matters to me and the other homers I ride with. A frame made in the USA has soul :thumbsup: I hope Dave holds on to that as long as he can. I drive a VW and a Tacoma but my bikes matter to me a whole lot more than my cars ever did.

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
If you don't care about quality, QC, expedited product refinement, sweatshops, and your neighbor, and only care about cost, then perhaps you could be dense enough to convince yourself that being made in America has no value. We're specifically talking bikes here so please spare us any Detroit analogies.

Push has plenty of competition, including talented and perhaps cheaper bike suss tuners within their own backyard. IMO, Push has equally high product and customer service quality as Turner. Both companies give a damn, have incredible attention to detail and knowledge, and embrace private capitalism and entrepreneurship - which are also inherently American.

Vrock makes interesting points. It would be even harder for Turner to maintain the above quality and performance edge if they were managing a factory in Korea.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It matters to me a great deal.

Outsourcing everything is one major factor as to why America is in the economic trouble it's in right now.

I applaud Dave Turner and crew for keeping in here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not an American, and I don't live there. It doesn't mean any more than made in Britain or made in Japan. Its not the only selling point though is it?

I bought a DW Spot because I perceived it to be a quality product that would suit my riding needs and has excellent LBS and manufacturer support. Could another bike have done a similar job? I guess so.

Although someone else could potentially make the same thing (patents etc notwithstanding) to the same specification, the fact is that they don't. What bike is a cheap copy? A Turner bike is not a commoditised item.

Its also not a throwaway item either, at least not for me. I intend to ride it for at least 2 or 3 years as my main bike. There'll always be people happy on a much cheaper, "generic" bike of course. And they're having just as much fun no doubt. Turner doesn't seem to be competing in that market segment though.

Interestingly, it was about 20% cheaper to buy in the country I live in than in the US. Two other frames I considered were similarly priced, one was made in the US, one in Taiwan.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Admirable, but silly..IMO.

It's different in your case. You offer a unique service. If you had competion, HERE, you might think differently.

The "American" bike companies are putting out some damn fin offerings ....IMO
Yes, but people must stand up, one by one. Companies out-source to increase their bottom line and to increase the top end salaries.

Personally, I admire people like Push and Turner for continuing to build in the country they live.

At the same time, I thought your question was if "Made in the USA" was important to people outside the US. That is a good question. Once upon a time it did...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Vespasianus said:
Yes, but people must stand up, one by one. Companies out-source to increase their bottom line and to increase the top end salaries.

Personally, I admire people like Push and Turner for continuing to build in the country they live.

At the same time, I thought your question was if "Made in the USA" was important to people outside the US. That is a good question. Once upon a time it did...
To me, "Made in Europe" is more important than "Made in USA". But I still think that the way to go is to design and Build in the same place, so if you are in USA you should build it in USA.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vespasianus said:
This is what I meant...thanks.

So if it was "once upon a time"... I don't think it's getting any better, globally. That said how many Americans will continue to buy "Made in the USA" ...at a premium?

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
highaltitude said:
I'm not an American, and I don't live there. It doesn't mean any more than made in Britain or made in Japan. Its not the only selling point though is it?

I bought a DW Spot because I perceived it to be a quality product that would suit my riding needs and has excellent LBS and manufacturer support. Could another bike have done a similar job? I guess so.

Interestingly, it was about 20% cheaper to buy in the country I live in than in the US. Two other frames I considered were similarly priced, one was made in the US, one in Taiwan.
So are Americans getting "stiffed" by our own manufacturers?

BTW...good/great customer service is pretty much par for the course these days:thumbsup: .

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AZ.MTNS said:
I will , and I humbly suggest that you underestimate the American publics level of "care".
I'd humbly suggest that there aren't enough of YOU to satisfy monetary needs of both DT and DW. They are in the business of making a profit and "Great Bikes", afterall.

There are already a lot of "great bikes", though;) .

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm concerned about future prices of Amercian manufactured goods and the staying power of the companies that produce them. The EPA is stepping up man-made climate change:rolleyes: regulations on manufacturing which is going to further drive up the price of products bearing a USA tag. Higher taxes, intensified regulations, less jobs, more inflation. Buy your made in the USA goods while you still can.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.