Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
28-30 inches. My 20mp m4/3 is better than my 18mp APSC Canon.
What paper are you using? What printer?

edit... I did watch the video, interesting, details of the process/workflow would be nice to know.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Don't know. I just sharpen the files a touch more than screen viewing requires, noise tends to blend in better in prints, the wife then just takes the files to the printer. (Shop) That's their job.
I think you're focusing (pun intended) on the wrong things. m4/3 requires good lenses for good results. I shoot Panasonic Leica, and Sigma prime lenses personally. As long as you have a nice sharp lens, the focus and exposure is excellent, you'll get great results whatever the viewing medium. Pretty basic stuff.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
I have a Canon G9X MK2 that fits perfectly in a Pelican 1010 case. Great low light and video performance in a tiny package. Excellent mountain biking option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks is there a particular model you like? I’m debating between Fuji and Nikon.

Right now, Fuji is in the lead.
It really comes down to your needs and budget. My daily camera is an X100F. Super small, sharp, fast, love the dials on the top so I can pre-set to get ahead of any picture I may want.

Outside of the X-T4 and IBIS, the main difference in all the models is updated algorithms for AF. Certainly nothing wrong with going a used camera from a reputable dealer and a used X-T3 is a good buy. However if you don't need weather sealing and can scale back on video a bit you can get the X-T30 and save a couple hundred bucks. If the budget doesn't go that high then X-T2 is still a very solid camera and the consumer version is the X-T20. Generally speaking the 0 at the end often would be the "consumer" version. I would use cheaper but I don't want it to come off as it's a cheap POS. It's just scaled back a bit on features but would generally share the same sensors.

The X-T200 I have heard good things about. It's got the Bayer sensor instead of the X-Trans. A lot of people seem to like the color of the bayer. I would suggest renting what you want to get before getting it. Borrowlenses.com or Lensrental.com are good resources. I have personally used borrowlenses in the past with good results.

·
always licking the glass
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I have a Canon G9X MK2 that fits perfectly in a Pelican 1010 case. Great low light and video performance in a tiny package. Excellent mountain biking option.

Im pretty sure that’s not a mirrorless camera but a pocket camera. I have the previous generation of it, and it’s not what I’m looking for.

·
always licking the glass
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
It really comes down to your needs and budget. My daily camera is an X100F. Super small, sharp, fast, love the dials on the top so I can pre-set to get ahead of any picture I may want.

Outside of the X-T4 and IBIS, the main difference in all the models is updated algorithms for AF. Certainly nothing wrong with going a used camera from a reputable dealer and a used X-T3 is a good buy. However if you don't need weather sealing and can scale back on video a bit you can get the X-T30 and save a couple hundred bucks. If the budget doesn't go that high then X-T2 is still a very solid camera and the consumer version is the X-T20. Generally speaking the 0 at the end often would be the "consumer" version. I would use cheaper but I don't want it to come off as it's a cheap POS. It's just scaled back a bit on features but would generally share the same sensors.

The X-T200 I have heard good things about. It's got the Bayer sensor instead of the X-Trans. A lot of people seem to like the color of the bayer. I would suggest renting what you want to get before getting it. Borrowlenses.com or Lensrental.com are good resources. I have personally used borrowlenses in the past with good results.
Thanks Ben :).

Budget depends on if I need to replace lenses too.

I would really like to use a Canon mirrorless, especially since I have DSLR lenses from them and it supports both the types (EF and EF-S mounts). My D60 is really heavy for me to carry around, and this includes trips to Japan (we went on a photography trip for Japanese cranes this time) and mountain biking. I love the idea of not needing more lenses and uses what I already have at least to get started. However, the D60 is a pretty heavy camera, and I’m pretty sure the camera tech has improved over time. My husband’s got the full CCD version of it, and that thing is even heavier.

My only issue is Canon is pretty new to mirrorless, and I haven’t seen any reviews or comparisons to them, as they seem pretty sparse. This is why I’m looking at other brands. Usually with DSLRs, it was usually Canon or Nikon, but Sony really changed that with the mirrorless tech.

I’ve also tried the little pocket cameras like the G9, but crap, they’re grainy.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I’ve also tried the little pocket cameras like the G9, but crap, they’re grainy.
The G9x is not a particularly good example of the 1” sensor compact cameras.

They prioritized the size of the body with that camera. So while the sensor is the same as some other good 1” cameras, the lens is just really slow, and pretty soft. So low light takes a hit compared to the nicer specimens of the genre.

The Canon G7X mkIII, Sony rx100 series, Panasonic zs100, LX10, and LX100 are all better examples of that small form factor.

I have carried my ZS100 in my camelback before, and it does well for incidental stuff (unlike a phone camera, it has a good zoom on it). But if I was going out to try to get actual good photos of a buddy riding (actual action shots) then I’d for sure bring more substantial gear (my only other camera is a D750). But that’s half because where I live, you’re riding in deep shade and cloud cover most of the time. So I’d need all the low light help I could get to not get a blurry (either because of ISO, or too low of shutter speed) mess.

I feel like micro 4/3 kind of splits the difference between both of those cameras. It might just be the perfect compromise for you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks Ben :).

Budget depends on if I need to replace lenses too.

I would really like to use a Canon mirrorless, especially since I have DSLR lenses from them and it supports both the types (EF and EF-S mounts). My D60 is really heavy for me to carry around, and this includes trips to Japan (we went on a photography trip for Japanese cranes this time) and mountain biking. I love the idea of not needing more lenses and uses what I already have at least to get started. However, the D60 is a pretty heavy camera, and I’m pretty sure the camera tech has improved over time. My husband’s got the full CCD version of it, and that thing is even heavier.

My only issue is Canon is pretty new to mirrorless, and I haven’t seen any reviews or comparisons to them, as they seem pretty sparse. This is why I’m looking at other brands. Usually with DSLRs, it was usually Canon or Nikon, but Sony really changed that with the mirrorless tech.

I actually came to m4/3 from where you're looking at heading. I owned both full frame & APSC bodies & lenses. The issue with going Canon mirrorless, is that they don't make a decent range of format specific (APSC) lenses to suit. They're slowly, very slowly, making progress, but after 6 years of waiting, gave up & moved.
This is where m4/3 really kicks goals. A couple of pickies to illustrate. The body shown is regarded as really big in m4/3 circles. I deliberately chose it, to suit my sized hands, & the feature set. That's a Samsung Note for comparison. The GX8 (20 MP) has a 12-64 full frame equivalent field of view lens attached, that's a Canon lens cap in front. Just to give you a sense of scale.
phone comp.jpg

If you like larger aperture fixed focal length lenses, then m4/3 rocks. Here's a small selection of my lens kit. These range from f/1.7-2.5. Not shown any of my f/1.4 lenses here. Which is important for capturing more light, to offset the smaller sensor size. They're all tiny, sharp, excellent quality & not super expensive. One thing to note, all later m4/3 cameras have image stabilization built into the body, which works with all lenses. Canon does not have any bodies with this feature. Hope this gives you something to think about.
lens comp.jpg

·
Registered
942 Posts
This is where m4/3 really kicks goals. A couple of pickies to illustrate. The body shown is regarded as really big in m4/3 circles. I deliberately chose it, to suit my sized hands, & the feature set. That's a Samsung Note for comparison. The GX8 (20 MP) has a 12-64 full frame equivalent field of view lens attached, that's a Canon lens cap in front. Just to give you a sense of scale.

If you like larger aperture fixed focal length lenses, then m4/3 rocks. Here's a small selection of my lens kit. These range from f/1.7-2.5. Not shown any of my f/1.4 lenses here. Which is important for capturing more light, to offset the smaller sensor size. They're all tiny, sharp, excellent quality & not super expensive. One thing to note, all later m4/3 cameras have image stabilization built into the body, which works with all lenses. Canon does not have any bodies with this feature. Hope this gives you something to think about.
Actually not true, soon. The announced new Canon mirrorless will have IBIS. I expect that to start trickling down to lower models.

But anyway, it comes down to what you intend to do with the camera. Of course astrophotography is not well suited for smaller format.
But for my travel and carry around I've been using m4/3 for a long time. I finally retired my GFX and replaced with Oly OM-D M5III. Its a fair amount bulkier than the GFX but nowhere close to my 70D. Its heads and shoulders better shooting with it compared to GFX, it now is a viable replacement for the 70D for most situations.
I'd been waiting for Panasonic to make a m4/s along the sizes of GF and good features with weather sealing, but it seems Panasonic is shifting focus to their full frame and neglecting m4/3.
Anyway, i'm happy with the OMD M5III as my carry around and pack in bag riding if my focus is for pics. If i'm riding and focus is on riding but taking pics as a side, then I use my 1" sensor Nikon AW1. IQ is not great, but OK, but the thing is a tank and I can abuse the heck out of it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Actually not true, soon. The announced new Canon mirrorless will have IBIS. I expect that to start trickling down to lower models.
Dude -how long do you think it’s reasonable to wait? I waited 6 years just for a 50mm equivalent lens, and gave up. Still another 2 years down the road, no IBIS, or even a decent 85mm equivalent. Canon treats anything other than full frame like the red headed step child. I should have realised that, after seeing the lack of progress with EF-S, but they tricked me when they released the EOSM & that lovely little 22 f/2 pancake. Which I still, have, along with the wonderful little 11-22, 40 pancake, an EF 28 f/2.8 IS, 18-55, 55-250 STM & a few other EF lenses. m4/3 just does it better.

·
always licking the glass
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Dude -how long do you think it’s reasonable to wait? I waited 6 years just for a 50mm equivalent lens, and gave up. Still another 2 years down the road, no IBIS, or even a decent 85mm equivalent. Canon treats anything other than full frame like the red headed step child. I should have realised that, after seeing the lack of progress with EF-S, but they tricked me when they released the EOSM & that lovely little 22 f/2 pancake. Which I still, have, along with the wonderful little 11-22, 40 pancake, an EF 28 f/2.8 IS, 18-55, 55-250 STM & a few other EF lenses. m4/3 just does it better.
Yeah this is why I’m looking at Nikon. I have a Canon 70D, and it’s not a full frame CCD, where my husband has a 5D mk2 or 3 (can’t remember).

Since I want something for travel and mountain biking, I’m hoping the tech has gotten to the point where I don’t have to cart around huge amounts of glass to get a photo anymore.

While the iPhone 11 takes decent pics, I’d prefer to have something else for some better riding pics I can carry with me.

·
always licking the glass
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

·
Registered
90 Posts
For which camera? The EOS R has a bunch of great lenses, just they are big bucks and nothing to cart around in a back pack for a ride in my opinion. A lot of canon lenses has IS. IBIS is gonna raise the price of the body a lot to where the average person is not going to want to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks! This looks perfect. I’m gonna look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would hold off a minute and wait for the Sony A7C to release. It'll be a small full frame camera from sony for $1800. It uses the A7III sensor: https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/21437339/sony-a7c-camera-announcement-specs-price-release-date

The A7C is geared for youtubers and Vloggers looking for the absolute best picture quality to carry around. Sony's E mount has the largest selection of lenses available for full frame mirrorless beucause they were out years before Nikon and Canon jumped into the market.

I switched out my Canon 6D years ago for a Sony A7II and absolutely love it. The newer sony's have much better focus systems and the dynamic range is even better. What's nice is with a metabones adapter, you can still use some of your old canon lenses. I wouldn't carry them around on a hike, but nice when shooting locally.

·
always licking the glass
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Looks like nikon has a Z5 out.
$1,399.95

Affordable full frame mirror less.
Most likely shares a lens with the Z8 when it hits the market.

hmmmm
Nikon Z5 | Entry-Level Full Frame Mirrorless Camera
Circling back as the OP.

I ordered a Z6 after playing with a friend’s Sony mirrorless. The Sony wasn’t my cup of tea, and I found a good deal on the older Z6 for about the price here of the Z5.

Originally looked at the Z50, but the reviews with the autofocus for action shots was suboptimal. So up to the Z5, which doesn’t have the autofocus issues, and is full CCD. Then compared the Z5 to the Z6, the Z6 shoots more frames per second than the Z5.

I get the body and initial lens this week. Hope to post some pics and experiences here. Thank you everyone!

81 - 97 of 97 Posts