Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have recently ditched my faithful 7D after 10 years and purchased and EOS R. Camera is lighter, smaller by a smidge. Once you attach the 28-70 RF lens it is a beast. The 70-200 is a little lighter but my not be the focal length you want. It takes great pictures and the detail the RF lens’s captures is amazing but the RF lens are pricey.

No one mentioned it but why not rent a 28-300 lens and try it? Covers a bunch of the focal lengths of a few lenses. Downfall is f stop changes at longer focal lengths and pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Loud tyres save lives
537 Posts
Just because you can go big doesn't mean you have to, be like Galen Rowel. If you need more detail there's always medium format, which stunts FX. It's about the picture... who makes big prints anymore anyhow?
It's curious I see this assumption all the time that the only reason to go for a larger format sensor is to print large, while this can be an advantage of larger format sensors there are many other advantages which are what people do buy FF sensors for particularly dynamic range and high iso. Medium format does offer better detail and dynamic range but still relatively niche and sensor development and general practicality lag behind FF, you won't find anything in medium format (or currently APS-C) which can match the likes of the stacked sensor in the A9 or the insane iso 102,400 in the S series.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It's curious I see this assumption all the time that the only reason to go for a larger format sensor is to print large, while this can be an advantage of larger format sensors there are many other advantages which are what people do buy FF sensors for particularly dynamic range and high iso. Medium format does offer better detail and dynamic range but still relatively niche and sensor development and general practicality lag behind FF, you won't find anything in medium format (or currently APS-C) which can match the likes of the stacked sensor in the A9 or the insane iso 102,400 in the S series.
The IQ advantages of a FF sensor are more apparent under close observation, and often (not always), FF has more megapixels, making it more ideal for larger display anyway. Usually close observation is "pixel peeping", but also happens when printing large, and usually most apparent when you were shooting in poor light (high ISO noise usually shows up the most in deep shadows).

My purpose for going to FF was for low light, and depth of field. I tend to shoot mostly candid portraits (going to family reunions and just walking around getting photos of kids/siblings/etc), and the family reunions official photos. Both of which benefit from those traits.

Beautiful photos Mike :).

I've just barely started printing stuff as I finally have a house, and we can use the stockpile of old photos we took to start decorating. I usually just wait and print when I see that mpix has a good 25-50% off sale.

This is my biggest print at the moment. I have a 20x30" of this waiting on me to make a frame. Shot with a 16MP, 10 year old D7000. Viewed up close, its not quite as crisp as I'd like, but no one other than me (or maybe a DPReview pixel peeper) will ever really notice/care.

Wonderland.jpg

·
Registered
728 Posts
That's my only problem with the Z series, the flange distance kinda negates the smaller possible lens size, so you end up with pretty darn large primes, even though it's mirrorless. They're twice the size of comparable Sony FE.
This is a good thing!
The larger opening lets in more light!

Nikon says
¨wider than any full-frame mount available (as of 8/23/18).
NIKKOR Z lenses are able to deliver improved low-light performance and edge-to-edge detail in both stills and video¨
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-a...innovation/nikon-z-series-z-mount-system.html

This is a good thing.

If I order a 240 hub from componets de it costs a lot less than it does at the lbs. $426 vs 200.84€. A Tubus Airy rack is $260 vs 116.81€ direct from Germany.
Are Leica cameras the same_? Anybody know a German camera vendor to find out? If a $7,000 camera cost 3,500€ in Gremany, you have enough money left over to Visit Berlin.

Ask your self a question. When was the last time I made a print? How big are the prints I make? If you made a couple of 4 x 6 prints last year. You do not need a full frame camera. A 1 inch sensor prints nice clear photos at 6 x 8 inches, but at 12 x 16 inches a person might notice a slight decline in quality. For large prints you need a large sensor.

Someone might care about the quality of a print?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I recently sold my m4/3 (Olympus OM-D E-M1) setup to buy a used D750. The E-M1 was probably good for biking, but I wasn't about to go carrying around a pricey camera and lens like that while i'm out biking. It was a pretty light setup for the pictures it could produce, but in the end it wasn't that small and the pictures weren't that much better than what I can get out of my cell phone (Pixel 3), and I sure didn't need the extra weight in my backpack. And nevermind what would happen to it in a crash...

I really hated the low light performance of the m4/3 as well, which isn't going to be as much of a problem with a mirrorless. Watching my camera hunt for focus repeatedly while trying to get a picture of my daughter on Santa's lap made me unreasonably angry.

The D750 is a bigger camera with many of my lenses, but actually still respectably small with some others. For example my Nikon 50mm 1.8g (~$150) makes the entire camera hardly any bigger than my E-M1, and I can always crop to make up for some of the zoom it's missing.

Anyways, you guys keep buying mirroless and I'll just keep snapping up these cheap used FF lenses. I'm having fun.

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
This is a good thing!
The larger opening lets in more light!

Nikon says
¨wider than any full-frame mount available (as of 8/23/18).
NIKKOR Z lenses are able to deliver improved low-light performance and edge-to-edge detail in both stills and video¨
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-a...innovation/nikon-z-series-z-mount-system.html

This is a good thing.

If I order a 240 hub from componets de it costs a lot less than it does at the lbs. $426 vs 200.84€. A Tubus Airy rack is $260 vs 116.81€ direct from Germany.
Are Leica cameras the same_? Anybody know a German camera vendor to find out? If a $7,000 camera cost 3,500€ in Gremany, you have enough money left over to Visit Berlin.

Ask your self a question. When was the last time I made a print? How big are the prints I make? If you made a couple of 4 x 6 prints last year. You do not need a full frame camera. A 1 inch sensor prints nice clear photos at 6 x 8 inches, but at 12 x 16 inches a person might notice a slight decline in quality. For large prints you need a large sensor.

Someone might care about the quality of a print?
Lol... so only FX shooters care about the quality of a print? That's the realm of gear geeks who can't make it on their images, usually. Lots more to quality prints than pixel or dot count.

·
This place needs an enema
15,566 Posts
You have an enviable amount of wall space, nicely done.

Is this your gear room?

It's the front half of my shop. Ostensibly the "sales floor" or retail area, but because most of my business is online I've never had a use for that ~400 sq feet. Sat empty and unfinished for years before I had the 'aha!' moment to finish it out as such.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lol... so only FX shooters care about the quality of a print? That's the realm of gear geeks who can't make it on their images, usually. Lots more to quality prints than pixel or dot count.
Actually, I was thinking Magdalena's grandmother might care about the quality of the print. When she finally gets it 49 weeks after I took it. And no, there is no print shop with a machine made this century within a 100 miles of her house.

I was told that the white straw caused the camera to over compensate and make her face to dark.

Yep, since I did not know that, I have to buy a better camera with a bigger sensor to hide my mistakes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m just here for the gear-sturbation party.

I’m just excited for mirrorless 300mm/400mm F2.8 lenses to come out so I can buy F2.8 lenses for cheap.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had to find an old card with a photo of stars.
Because I gave up on the idea of star photos with a 1 inch sensor.

iso 1600 and 30 seconds. hard to tell the difference between stars and noise.

If you want better night photos you might have to pay for a better camera.
Did he say to dream on
or
dream until your dreams come true?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHCt8H9f_S8&list=RDsHCt8H9f_S8&start_radio=1&t=0

The fiddle player don't stop playing after dark. You might stop taking his picture after dark depending on which camera you have though.

OP asked is it worth it?
The answer is,
how much do like photography?

·
Registered
689 Posts
To answer your question Chris, my typical commissioned prints are between 18-42" longest edge. Last year the largest print I produced was 90" long edge. I print probably 30-60 a year depending.

I've never once had someone question the camera that created the image, which I think underscores the difference between pixel-peepers and real, on the wall prints. That, and learning various photo software is probably worth 10x any gear acquisition!

Either way, hard to go wrong with any camera these days. IBIS and video quality, if you're a hybrid shooter, really narrows the list. If you need low-light, get fast glass, if you need zoom, get a better higher-iso camera to compliment the lower f-stop. It's all compromises.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
At the extremes of low light, sensor size, ISO perf (almost the same as sensor generation, as newer sensors are usually much better), and lens aperture really do make a huge difference.

If the OP is wanting to do Astrophotography, take candid portraits of musicians playing in jazz clubs, photos of actors in plays, or athletes playing night/interior sports, then a full frame sensor (or larger), and some nice fast primes are in order.

A full frame sensor camera with the same aperture lens, will have at stop advantage over a crop sensor, and a 2 stop advantage over a Micro 4/3 camera. That can make the difference between getting/not getting a shot in those conditions, and it is why most pros use them in those situations.

As light gets better (more available), and the speed of movement goes down the amount of gear it takes to get a good quality (non-noisy or motion blurred) photo goes down.

Most cameras (including phones) these days take pretty good photos in good light of non moving subjects.

Its the "in between" where its not amazing full sunlight, and "its almost black in here" where you get to decide how much you want to spend, and/or carry to get the quality of photos you're comfortable with.

In my experience so far, sharp photos worth printing have more to do with technique and setup than sensor size. Its just that larger sensors can help you capture shots you may not be able to get at acceptable quality levels with other gear.

To each their own of course though :).

·
Registered
728 Posts
In my experience so far, sharp photos worth printing have more to do with technique and setup than sensor size. Its just that larger sensors can help you capture shots you may not be able to get at acceptable quality levels with other gear.

To each their own of course though :).
Maybe I am trying to convince myself to buy something I really can not afford but want. Am I the only one who waits for a storm so I can set my camera on old phone box and stand in the rain holding an umbrella not over me, just over the camera?

Or the only one who walks up the creek instead of the trail?

Be careful what you wish for. When I said I wanted to take pictures of waterfalls, it rained, everyday for 10 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ltLp30KVs

S hit; while I was typing this,
"13 mins ago - President Trump said he would be suspending all travel from Europe for the next 30 days "
We might be getting more time in the forest with our cameras than we bargained for! If this keeps up.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Beautiful photos :).

I understand gear lust, and as I mentioned before, I did recently upgrade to a D750 (cheap full frame), so clearly I’m one to talk.

But, both of those shots are easily done with a tripod, and a sensor of pretty much any size. It’s when you’re taking photos of similarly dark areas but with trying to capture the moving bits without blurring that the light advantage of big sensors start to help out.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Beautiful photos :).

I understand gear lust,... .. ... D750 (cheap full frame), .
My rx100 v1 slowly faded away, as is my rx100 v5 doing now. V1 lasted 3 years. The manual focus went, the auto focus slowly declined. Then one morning the screen was just fuzz like a 1938 tv screen.

V5 has a much better autofocus than the v1. I hear that v7 is even better still. After 2 years, the pop up viewfinder has stopped working. The internal battery charger is fading. The non weather sealed Sony takes good pictures. But , may not be the best for a person that walks up creeks in the rainy season, or spends weeks cycling on gravel roads.

I am reading the mirrorless thread because, well, soon the want will fade to need. Those little pocket cameras are not robust.

My tunnel vision can only see the Nikon sales pitch of a robust weather sealed camera. They have a $1,000, $2,000, and $3,000 model to choose from. Naturally: I lust after the most expensive one.

Gear lust. I walked into Best Buy with enough money in my pocket to buy the A7--- 42 pixel $3,000 camera, non weather sealed. I chickened out and bought the rx100v instead. With the $2,000 I still had in my pocket I bought some tickets for Peru, Colombia, etc. Could have been a better choice.

As I read this I am also looking at some Vittoria Mezcal III G2.0 tires. And looking at Bikepacking Roots routes page.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Wo, oh, what I want to know, how does the song go.

What about the Nikon z8 with 61 mega pixels? should we be saving up for that one?

How does the song go?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiURXMrVrc

I typed that right Sixty one pixels just around the corner. Sounds better than a new bike.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts