Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Yeah, bottoming too hard too often could damage your frame, shock, fork, or all 3.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Mtbaddict720 said:
I seem to be bottoming out alot, nothing has happend to my bike and I can take the hit but am i eventually going to break my fork/shock???
so what is it.....shock (on the bike for the rear wheel) or fork (the thing attached to the front of the bike for the front wheel)

bottoming out a lot....what does that mean.....once or twice a run....hpow hard oare the hits

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fork is botttoming out. shock i dont know if it is not moe than 1 time on a run just on the drops maybe 10 ft. seems to small for it to be bottoming out but again i dont mind if it does and i like it soft for the bumps so im just wondering if it will break

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Mtbaddict720 said:
fork is botttoming out. shock i dont know if it is not moe than 1 time on a run just on the drops maybe 10 ft. seems to small for it to be bottoming out but again i dont mind if it does and i like it soft for the bumps so im just wondering if it will break
what kind of fork???

Heavy spring/add some oil

shock go up 50 pounds in the spring

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
you should not be botteming out your suspension off 10' drops, unless its to flat. and yes you will cause damage to your fork/shock/frame if you continue to do it.

provided you have your suspension set-up right, you shouldnt be using more than half your travel off 10-15' drops...

·
DIRTYAMERICAN
334 Posts
BJ- said:
you should not be botteming out your suspension off 10' drops, unless its to flat. and yes you will cause damage to your fork/shock/frame if you continue to do it.

provided you have your suspension set-up right, you shouldnt be using more than half your travel off 10-15' drops...
On 10-15 footers you should be using most or ALL the travel. If you buy a long travel bike and never bottom out then you aren't using all the travel you paid for.

If you dial your suspension in so it's so stiff just to not bottom out then you'll be tuning out the small bump sensitivity. It'll feel like you're riding rigid going down the trail all just so you won't bottom out.

If you are bottoming out most of the time, even on small hits and/or it's obviously hurting the frame/fork then YES it is bad to bottom out.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,810 Posts
ebfreerider510 said:
it isn't really uncommon to bottom out a few times on a tech DH run...but if it is happening pretty frequently, then stiffer springs are calling your name.
Not really. You should be using ALL travel a few times on a tech DH run, but you shouldn't feel it "bottom out" against the end of travel. If you are doing this, you're damaging the shock/fork. Using "all" the travel is bottoming out, but you shouldn't really be able to percieve it, and if it's hard enough that you can, it's a pretty good sign that you don't have your progressiveness adjusted enough, or your spring rate is too weak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.