Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as above, is there a reason the moots 29" is speced with what looks like a 0degree stem>?

Is it because the large wheels make it hard to steer?

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
saga said:
as above, is there a reason the moots 29" is speced with what looks like a 0degree stem>?

Is it because the large wheels make it hard to steer?
The front end is taller than a 26" wheeled bike so in order to get the bars down to desired height a lot of us need to run a flat or inverted stem. It has nothing to do with steering difficulty (and 29ers are not difficult to steer).

·
Registered
138 Posts
like the above post says, its just about extra added height of the wheels. I have a moots mooto x and run it with a zero degree stem and flat bars and just one 2.5mm headset spacer. For my 20" bike it is basically a straight line or just a slight drop from my saddle to my bars which is good for me. If you are thinking of getting one it is a sweet ride worth the money.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I invert my stems to get my bars down to where I like 'em on my 29ers--all personal preference...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to get the hardtail moots-x not the softtail one pictured on the website. I already have a custom 105mm 0degree stem so I'm loving the welds just on the stem alone! How tall are you? My meduim 5.5 intense has a 23" toptube. I'm 5.11" btw. I'll phone moots up but would like to hear your views on the moots x and any photos if poss. I have a spesh enduro03 and the intense, would the moots 29er be a good bit different to my trail bikes? I want a ti hardtail bike that has speed on tap basically. Ta

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
saga said:
would the moots 29er be a good bit different to my trail bikes?
Not having ridden any of the bikes you listed, I'd guess that the Moots would ride a lot differently just due to being a hardtail 29er.

·
Registered
138 Posts
im 6'2" and ride a 20". I sold a specialized epic sworks, and my custom 26" steel hardtail after getting this bike because I didnt ride either of them. I went with the ybb mostly after reading mike curiaks comparison of both the hardtail and ybb. I do not regret it. I have a picture of it posted on the moots website. It now sports a moots seatpost as well.

moots mooto x ybb

I waited about 6 weeks for it but that was during the beginning of the summer. So it may not be as long now. Dave or John at moots are great guys and should be able to help you with any questions.

As soon as I built it I took it on a roadtrip through colorado and utah and I was more than happy with it. I of course had to go by the moots factory and check the place out and take the tour. Make sure if you get a reba that you don't get the external lockout or whatever it is called because it will hit the downtube.

·
Registered
114 Posts
gk02 said:
Make sure if you get a reba that you don't get the external lockout or whatever it is called because it will hit the downtube.
It's called external floodgate knob, the lockout isn't the problem. I have the 20" Mooto-X with a Reba fork with poploc and external floodgate. With a CK headset it's only the floodgate knob that touches the downtube. With the Reba SL (wich has internal floodgate adjustment) you won't have a problem. Be sure however to check it if you decide on a smaller frame than gk02 an I have since angles and tubediameters will be different.

The downtube-crown conflict has been discussed a lot before, do a search if you want to learn more...

Oh yeah, I run a 120 mm 5 degree inverted stem and am considering to go 10 or even 15 degrees to get it lower. It's all about personal preference I guess...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts