Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a hardtail freeride MTB and was wondering if there was a bike that can handle 8-10 foot drops, jumps, and still is fast enough for some cc riding and is 1000 dollars or under. I know the old haro escape 8.3s could but are there any bikes out there now for that pirce that can handle that type of riding.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Perhaps a Kona Stinky?

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
corelaxplayer said:
I'm in the market for a hardtail freeride MTB and was wondering if there was a bike that can handle 8-10 foot drops, jumps, and still is fast enough for some cc riding and is 1000 dollars or under. I know the old haro escape 8.3s could but are there any bikes out there now for that pirce that can handle that type of riding.
This could handle it:

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Vagrant.cfm

·
Registered
172 Posts
Take a look at the different manufacturers websites, there are plenty of bikes out there that fit your description. You might have to buy used, or closeout, to get it under a grand. The vagrant or the new, steel Transition AM would fit, but will run you a little more.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
if you can find an evil imperial, go for that. you can use 80mm up to 300mm if you really wanted to

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Look for used. I just picked up an 05 Norco Shore, very well spec'ed for around $850. There are deals out there, just have to find them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to buy new if possible but i'll check out some new bikes. What about the Kona five-0? I've been reading some good things about it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Imperial is out with a low budget like that. New frame would be 3/4 of his budget.... if he can even find one. Used would be half the value... if he can even find one.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
wyrm said:
Imperial is out with a low budget like that. New frame would be 3/4 of his budget.... if he can even find one. Used would be half the value... if he can even find one.
i got a frame for $350 canadian shipped. built it up for not much more than $1100 canadian which is within his budget in USD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
saturnine said:
i got a frame for $350 canadian shipped. built it up for not much more than $1100 canadian which is within his budget in USD

The problem with this is i don't have much experience in building MTBs, sure i can build a BMX bike from the ground up but that's much simpler as far as i know.

Any info on the Kona five-0 and hoss?

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
corelaxplayer said:
The problem with this is i don't have much experience in building MTBs, sure i can build a BMX bike from the ground up but that's much simpler as far as i know.

Any info on the Kona five-0 and hoss?
bmx is pretty similar. just different headsets and bottom brackets - and sometimes not even.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
saturnine said:
bmx is pretty similar. just different headsets and bottom brackets - and sometimes not even.
Agreed, if you can build a BMX bike you should be good to build a MTB. Hydraulic brakes, shifters, and cables would be the only difficulty but we could talk you through that.

The 5-0 is a good AM hardtail, the Hoss is a Clyde trail bike or an average rider DJ bike.

Honestly if I were you I'd check out the classifieds over at www.pinkbike.com

case in point, this Banshee Morphine is listed for $800 CAD (thats approx. $700 USD).

Thats a helluva lot of bike for the money. (it's not mine either, no spamming here ;) )

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
Banshee Morphine, Yakuza Bakuto/Chimpira, Transition Vagrant...
Also search here Fr hardtail, there were good threads about it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts