Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
So the AXS derailleur and Shimano cassette play well together. I was unsure if the spacing was different on the casserole. How did you set chain length? By SRAM or Shimano specs?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I am curious as well. I’m about to do this setup myself and need to know how to best set the chain length.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My original setup was all XTR 12spd, so I used shimano chain length specs for my Shimano chain and then later swapped in the AXS derailleur, shifter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, i think the axs derailleur offers a little better shifting and a lot more bling to the bike over the straight xtr setup. I havent tried a sram chain with my setup but dont think there is much to gain in that direction.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Finally got this installed. AXS shifter, derailleur, Shimano cassette, chain, Absolute Black Hyperglide+ chainring. Works well. For chain length I set up per SRAM instructions but it was slightly too long for some reason. Went back to Shimano instructions and removed 2 links and it's perfect.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally got this installed. AXS shifter, derailleur, Shimano cassette, chain, Absolute Black Hyperglide+ chainring. Works well. For chain length I set up per SRAM instructions but it was slightly too long for some reason. Went back to Shimano instructions and removed 2 links and it's perfect.
This is the exact setup I was considering. Thanks for the chainlength tip!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
This is the exact setup I was considering. Thanks for the chainlength tip!
Logic said to set the chain up by the derailleur brand since I figured that would be the most sensitive part. It worked fine unless in the smallest cassette ring and then it skipped because the chain was too too long. It looked droopy. So I followed the directions in the link below and all is fine. Maybe try the SRAM directions first then the Shimano if needed.

https://dansbikeblog.com/article/how-calculate-correct-chain-length-shimano-12-speed-drivetrain

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Logic said to set the chain up by the derailleur brand since I figured that would be the most sensitive part. It worked fine unless in the smallest cassette ring and then it skipped because the chain was too too long. It looked droopy. So I followed the directions in the link below and all is fine. Maybe try the SRAM directions first then the Shimano if needed.

How to calculate correct chain length on a Shimano 12 Speed drivetrain

Exactly what happened to me and what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So the AXS derailleur and Shimano cassette play well together. I was unsure if the spacing was different on the casserole. How did you set chain length? By SRAM or Shimano specs?

Always set the chain length and chain gap/ B-gap as per derailleur manufacturer instructions. We've used the Sramano mix for racing and yes, Shimano shifter and derailleur with Eagle cassette and chain works fine, you can even replace just the shifter with Shimano if you're after their 2 gear upshift.
More here -

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Always set the chain length and chain gap/ B-gap as per derailleur manufacturer instructions. We've used the Sramano mix for racing and yes, Shimano shifter and derailleur with Eagle cassette and chain works fine, you can even replace just the shifter with Shimano if you're after their 2 gear upshift.
More here -
That may have worked using sram cassette but for some reason doesn’t work in Shimano. They chain becomes too long. I used Shimano chain length with AXS derailleur, Shimano XTR cassette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've done this and also followed the Shimano chain length guides. I am curious about the best way to set the bgap.

I thought of using the SRAM tool to do this but considering the last jump on SRAM cassettes is so much bigger than Shimano I thought that might be too big a gap. At the same time, setting the bgap too tight resulted in chain slack when in 10t.

Anyone worked this out?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts