Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the real question is, what makes the new 12 speed Shimano HYPERGLIDE+ shift under load possible? Is it the cassette, derailleur, chainring, chain or shifter?

If I were to use SRAM AXS shifter and derailleur with a 12 speed XT cassette, would that buy me "shifting under load"?

This is for a 1x12 dropbar application, which I don't believe Shimano has an answer for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chain and cassette. The spacing is a hair different to SRAM but it should work fine as many have found already. The Hyperglide+ is impressive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chain and cassette. The spacing is a hair different to SRAM but it should work fine as many have found already. The Hyperglide+ is impressive.
Thank you, I'm excited to try this out!!!

Any experience with this shifting well with non-boost spacing?

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
SRAM shifts fine under load too. The shifting occurs under the cassette where chain tension is independent of pedaling force. The big tension occurs at the top of the cassette. What happens is the chain is angled between cogs as it comes around the top. High pedaling force puts a lot of tension on the chain and stresses the chain and cog teeth at that point on Shimano or Sram cassettes. As long as pedaling force isn't too high, the chain and cog teeth will survive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty much anyone reviewing Shimano 12 speed has commented on how amazing shifting under load is. My experience with both Sram and Shimano 11 speed has been ok, but I avoid changing gears when hammering. I will soon have a Shimano 12 speed system so I’ll be able to compare. I’m just assuming the koolaid is real.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
SRAM shifts fine under load too. The shifting occurs under the cassette where chain tension is independent of pedaling force. The big tension occurs at the top of the cassette. What happens is the chain is angled between cogs as it comes around the top. High pedaling force puts a lot of tension on the chain and stresses the chain and cog teeth at that point on Shimano or Sram cassettes. As long as pedaling force isn't too high, the chain and cog teeth will survive.
It's all part of the shift, and this is where the difference is between Hyperglide+ and previous drivetrains. HG+ makes this transition smoother so there is less stress on the chain and the cog teeth, and less shock felt by the rider.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Chain and cassette, with more of it being cassette with a chain matched to it. The machine work on cheap cassettes and good cassettes is pretty evidence. You look at the eagle cassette compared to a sunrace, and you see a lot more work put into the name brand cassette with ramps and teeth offset and overall design.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for confirming. The XT cassette is cheap (in price) compared to the XX1 Eagle! I’m looking forward to 1x12 dropbar bike next year!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am running XX1 Eagle AXS with Shim 12spd XTR Cassette/Chain and Eagle powerlink. Very happy with the performance and can confirm it shifts noticeably better than with Sram cassette.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I am running XX1 Eagle AXS with Shim 12spd XTR Cassette/Chain and Eagle powerlink. Very happy with the performance and can confirm it shifts noticeably better than with Sram cassette.
I wish you could test the shifting on an Eagle cassette because many of us don't have microspline.
Are you running a Shimano HG+ compatible front chainring or is that why you are utilizing an Eagle master link?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am using EEwings and at the time there were no HG+ chainrings so that is why I am running the eagle link. I have gotten to play with all the 12 speed options, my favorite is the AXS/Shimano combo, followed by the Shimano mechanical 12spd and then AXS Eagle. I think the AXS Eagle on Eagle cassette shifts just fine, I just think the Shimano 12spd is a marked improvement personally. Any of the systems are going to get you up and down the hill but if you have the luxury of being picky that is my .02.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I am using EEwings and at the time there were no HG+ chainrings so that is why I am running the eagle link. I have gotten to play with all the 12 speed options, my favorite is the AXS/Shimano combo, followed by the Shimano mechanical 12spd and then AXS Eagle. I think the AXS Eagle on Eagle cassette shifts just fine, I just think the Shimano 12spd is a marked improvement personally. Any of the systems are going to get you up and down the hill but if you have the luxury of being picky that is my .02.
Our set ups are similar. However can you offer any input on the HG+ chain with the Eagle cassette in terms of shifting compared to the Eagle chain?
I find AXS shifting on an Eagle chain identical to mechanical Eagle, so a good bit crunchy under load.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our set ups are similar. However can you offer any input on the HG+ chain with the Eagle cassette in terms of shifting compared to the Eagle chain?
I find AXS shifting on an Eagle chain identical to mechanical Eagle, so a good bit crunchy under load.
Thanks for your input.

I haven't tried the HG+ chain on Eagle cassette personally, but I would suspect it won't change the sound much. We had a SRAM tech in our shop the other day and I asked about the difference in sound with SRAM vs Shimano and it is an intentional feature on SRAM's part that is likely here to stay. Lots of people (not me) like the positive verification of the shift. Which I am chalking up to the differences in cassettes as opposed to chains.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes, in our experience, when we upgraded the shifter, chain and derailleur to Shimano, it worked better, but when we got around to upgrading the Eagle cassette, there was a further significant improvement (admittedly from a worn SRAM cassette to a new SLX one).

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I haven't tried the HG+ chain on Eagle cassette personally, but I would suspect it won't change the sound much. the shift. Which I am chalking up to the differences in cassettes as opposed to chains.
You really want to keep the eagle chain its their best part, matched with the eagle cassette.

Funny my eagle cassette and chain, with shimano derailleur and shifter, does shift a hair better then my all eagle bike

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Anyone yet AXS shifter, derailleur, cassette with Shimano chainring and chain? Or with a Shimano cassette too?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Still prefer the AXS shifter and derailleur with Shimano chainring, chain, and cassette?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Still prefer the AXS shifter and derailleur with Shimano chainring, chain, and cassette?

I do prefer the combo. Its admittedly a marginal gain over the individual groups, but feels to me the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I do prefer the combo. Its admittedly a marginal gain over the individual groups, but feels to me the best of both worlds.
So the AXS derailleur and Shimano cassette play well together. I was unsure if the spacing was different on the casserole. How did you set chain length? By SRAM or Shimano specs?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts