Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put a 160mm rotor onto a Talas 180. Directly mounting the rotor to the fork, the rotor doesn't reach the caliper by at least 1/2" (see picture). A 200mm rotor fits directly mounted to the fork wihtout an adapter (see picture). Is this fork made for ONLY a 200mm rotor? Will a 160mm rotor fit somehow, am I missing something? This is for an XC/AM bike, so I prefer a 160mm rotor if possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
agabriel said:
160mm rotor seems a bit small for a fork with a 180mm of travel...
^^^I was. afraid this would happen.Can we just stick to the original question of fit?

I wasn't aware the Talas 180 wouldn't accept a 160mm rotor before buying it, and the manuals reference all of the rotor sizes. If nothing else, it's good to know before buying.

·
Registered
73 Posts
madridg said:
^^^I was. afraid this would happen.Can we just stick to the original question of fit?
160 is too small for that fork. Why don't you want to use a larger rotor, you already have a largest fork short of a dual crown DH fork so why not enjoy the power of larger rotors? Nice fork BTW :thumbsup:

·
Registered
406 Posts
http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/36_TALAS/180_R

According to their site, and your own expierence, that fork is made for a 8" (203mm) rotor.

I agree with everyone else though. Why would you want a 6" rotor on a bike with a fork like that? It cant be for weight savings. A few grams is worthless on a 5.4 pound fork. You've got a nice fork with lots of travel that can take some high speed hits. Enjoy it for what it is and ride it hard and keep a brake on it capable of stopping you at those speeds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dkbikes4life said:
http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/36_TALAS/180_R

According to their site, and your own expierence, that fork is made for a 8" (203mm) rotor.

I agree with everyone else though. Why would you want a 6" rotor on a bike with a fork like that? It cant be for weight savings. A few grams is worthless on a 5.4 pound fork. You've got a nice fork with lots of travel that can take some high speed hits. Enjoy it for what it is and ride it hard and keep a brake on it capable of stopping you at those speeds.
ahhh I see it, missed it, thanks!

I'm not against a 203 rotor, I just didn't know if I was missing something, or not catching something in the build. I don't have a 203 rotor, will need to buy one before I can finish the build, which is why I was hoping to build it up with my extra 160. The included paperwork didn't mention anything about the 203 rotor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.