Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
West Chester, PA
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own 4 wheels built with mavic 717s and they all have a slight hop at the seam. Anybody on here have any tips to true it out or is it something I should just ignore more ?

thanks!

·
West Chester, PA
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All 4 wheels have a small flat spot right where the seam is.... as in slightly out of true. Not talking about the area on the sidewalls where they grind the weld down.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mine are not flat at the seam, they were absolutely true when I got them. I have pounded the hell out of them so that they aren't true now but the errors still aren't at the seams.

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
This is called the Mavic Seam Hope. Not uncommon, don't worry about it. I have built 100's of Mavic's had some of their models have this worst than others, but it has no real effect on the wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flat spot in heigth

Yes, I have built about ten wheels with X717's (Disc & Ceramics). Nearly all of them have a flat spot on the outer diameter. I think that Mavic sands the rims a bit at that point after the welding is done (and before the anodising).

On some occasions I even have to apply a bit lower spoke tension at the four spokes around the weld to make the wheel completely true (apart from the flat-sanded spot which is around an inch wide).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts