Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
In the rear with the gear
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or are they just a good road bike company on the MTB bandwagon because there is a market there (heard they tried to go into the MX market once and that failed)?

I bring this up because I have been considering a C'dale (their enventual market entry to the 29'er club) and I happened by an LBS (who doesn't sell C'dale) that I go to frequently and the owner said that first and foremost, C'dale is a road bike company that thinks they make good mountain bikes. So, does he have a point or is he just trying to steer me away from a C'dale and purchase a new bike from him?

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
My handle is being stolen!!!

Wow... almost 10 years later and my handle is being stolen.

Cannondale is like all of the big companies. Road, mtn etc. It's all up to what you want, what fits you, what warranty you want etc.

But, they are a good company like Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Bit of a clue here "doesn't sell C'dale"

He's trying to steer you onto something he does sell. C'dale mtbs are just fine, not necessarily better than others, but his statement is just BS

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Your LBS is blowing smoke because they don't sell Cannondales. They're no johnny come lately to the MTB market. Using the LBS reasoning then Specialized or Trek or Giant or many others are also just road bike manufacturers who think they make good mountain bikes. Cannondale has some unique ideas which you may or may not like. Decide for yourself after doing your own research and testing.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Green Giant said:
Wow... almost 10 years later and my handle is being stolen.

Cannondale is like all of the big companies. Road, mtn etc. It's all up to what you want, what fits you, what warranty you want etc.

But, they are a good company like Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc.
I needed a new handle and I figured since I ride a Giant and its Green what would be more fitting. Only that handle was taken, so was "green giant" and I think "GreenGiant" so I just tacked on the AC, because after all its an AC. Sorry if I impinged upon your dignity.

So, I think you guys are correct. Clearly the guy wants me to buy from him and only him. Doesn't sound like a very honest bizman. Oh well, his loss.

·
Dr. Bike
205 Posts
Not sure how long they've been making mtn bikes but i've been into the sport for about 13 years, they made great bikes then and still do. Their MX offerings were a little ahead of their time and I think the major problems were with fuel injection and electrical systems.
If you're looking for a XC full suspension bike, the Rush is really nice.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
david101372 said:
If you're looking for a XC full suspension bike, the Rush is really nice.
I am thinking about getting their 29'er but I am hearing conflicting stories about when it will be out, first 2007 and now 2008. Unfortunately, their 29'er entry is only a HT.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
GGAC,
You probably know from the other forums that I'm riding a Gemini and Spilly is on a Prophet. I don't know what the guy at your lbs is trying to tell you, but they have been and continue to be great bikes as far as I'm concerned. People will argue single pivot vs other suspension designs for the next 20 years I'm guessing, but as long as your not a pedal masher, you really won't notice a whole lot of difference with todays smart shocks. And they are just butter when you point them down the hills.

People also love to hate the lefty, but it's a light fork and I've seen in do some crazy stuff riding with the owner of my lbs who modified his Prophet into a 40lb freeride machine complete with a 24 rear wheel, but kept the original lefty. Spilly loves hers.

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
9.8m/s/s said:
GGAC,
You probably know from the other forums that I'm riding a Gemini and Spilly is on a Prophet. I don't know what the guy at your lbs is trying to tell you, but they have been and continue to be great bikes as far as I'm concerned. People will argue single pivot vs other suspension designs for the next 20 years I'm guessing, but as long as your not a pedal masher, you really won't notice a whole lot of difference with todays smart shocks. And they are just butter when you point them down the hills.

People also love to hate the lefty, but it's a light fork and I've seen in do some crazy stuff riding with the owner of my lbs who modified his Prophet into a 40lb freeride machine complete with a 24 rear wheel, but kept the original lefty. Spilly loves hers.
I think what the guy at the LBS is trying to tell me is that he want's me to buy a bike from him and not somebody else, and his approach seems counter productive. That is why when we was trying to push an 06 Kona Coiler with a 21 inch frame on me last year and not buy the 19" 05 floor model he had (no clue why he wouldn't close the deal - maybe he had too much into it already or was saving it for someone, he never told me why he wouldn't sell it to me), I felt he was literally pushing it on me and so I went somewhere else.

So, when I was in his shop the otherday, I wanted to get his opinion on 29'ers from Kona and I asked him what he thought about C'dale and hence the reason for this post.

All in all, I think the dude is full of hot air and I probably will stop going there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Indeed they did attempt to break into the MX & ATV business with a fuel injected 400 4-stroke. Their innovative designs were never accepted by the industry and they ended up folding shortly thereafter. Their remaining inventory was bought up by American manufacturer ATK where it can still be purchased today under the ATK label.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Cdale has been making mtn bikes way before Kona. Cdale was one of the very first companies to make mtn bikes in the 1980's. They even had a cool beast of the east model with a 24" rear wheel. My friend had a cannondale back in the day that had a lifetime garantee on the frame and parts. If anything broke on the bike cannondale would fix it. Before suspension became popular, I had a cannondale with an aluminum "pepperoni" fork. Cannondale helped popularize aluminum as a frame material. Back then only cannondale and klien were doing all thier bike from welded aluminum. Now just about every bike you see on the trail is welded aluminum. Cannondale has always been a big force in mtn bikes.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Green Giant AC said:
Or are they just a good road bike company on the MTB bandwagon because there is a market there (heard they tried to go into the MX market once and that failed)?

I bring this up because I have been considering a C'dale (their enventual market entry to the 29'er club) and I happened by an LBS (who doesn't sell C'dale) that I go to frequently and the owner said that first and foremost, C'dale is a road bike company that thinks they make good mountain bikes. So, does he have a point or is he just trying to steer me away from a C'dale and purchase a new bike from him?
They have been making mt bikes since ~1985, if you consider that jumping on the MTB bandwagon. No company is going to build a bike there is not a market for.

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Well in a statement that has no real merit

my F1000SL 2003 is a awesome bike I know is a hardtail, I went for the best performance,weight and components for my hard earned money which also went along with my abilities. Now 3 people(racers) that have riding my bike, one of as a backup for a race, all went and bought cannondales two of them went hardtail and one a scapel.
They all commented on how great the fork worked, and also that even tho it looked weird it really worked good.

All this guys had(have) quality bikes, Garys, Treks and so on, so I think it says a lot for the bike. My next up grade is going to be the magura CCS cartridge:thumbsup:

Just do your homework, everyone has a bias the reason is not important but is there. You as a consumer must filter thru all the crap and make the best decision you can, considering return on your invesment and so on.

have fun and ride:)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Of Course they Do..But Doesn't everyone

Of course cannondale makes plenty of really great bikes-all disciplines and styles. But then again, so does ALL of the big bike companies-trek, Giant, Specialized, GF, K2, Jamis, KHS, Marin,-Heck even lesser players like Raleigh are making some great bikes these days.

For anyone to knock the all the bikes of any of these companies is just plain assinine. Some bikes are better than others, some will suit different riders better-but witthin the product line of any of these individual companies is a product that will srve the needs and make happy just about any buyer/rider.

You like Cannondale-buy one-it'll be great--prefer Giant's color-buy one of them it'll be great, got a thing for Wisconsin-get a Trek-it'll be great, the letters FSR sound sexy-they are! buy a specialized it'll be great! you get the point, no? Now go buy something-time's a wasting!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just got a different bike after 7 years of riding a F1000. I didn't really need another one, but I thought I would try something different. I think it's still the best mtb bike I've ever had.

·
Registered
512 Posts
cdales have been around, and they came up with some of the neatest designs -- oversized aluminum tubing, delta V and super V frames, headtube suspension (adjustments can be made at the stem, instead of down at the fork), lefty suspension... etc. etc.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
My last bike was a Cannondale Jekyll and I was very happy with it. Very well made and gave no problems. It was a 2002 frame and could not be fitted with the then new Pro-pedal shocks from Fox. I ended up looking for something that would bob less. I ended up buying an Intense 5point5. The Intenses have a rear suspension system called virtual pivot point (VPP) which is used under licence from Santa Cruz. The harder you pedal on climbs the less the back bobs.

As you mentioned you were in the market for a 29 inch bike I thought I'd mention that Intense has just released a 29 inch Spider. You can check it out here.:cool:

Ronnie.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
IMO... Eh..

I think their bikes are okay, nothing to write home about. But then again, I've never owned one. I did take a Jeckyl out for a 5 mile real-live-trail test ride.

IMO, C'dales tend to be kinda slow, stable heavy feeling, but that's just me. I've also heard (and I don't know how good this info is) that they do cruddy cottege cheese welding, then grind them out to make them smooth, often overheating the joints, and this is why they tend to crack easily. I have personally heard about a rash of swingarms cracking on Jeckyls. Then again, they have a lifetime warranty as long as you arent' doing anything really stupid, they'll replace the cracked parts.

They also rely on single pivot suspension designs, which can be argued is outdated technology, but then again, horst links are being phased out by several mfg's.

I am interested in checking out a Rush or some of the newer frames. I'm always open to having my mind changed.

That Lefty fork they make is pretty amazing, tho... and not in a 'gee whiz, look ma, one side is missing!' kinda way. Aosty managed to rig a Lefty for his Niner bike with 29" front wheel. I rode it, and it felt bottomless buttery smooth. They have some really advanced technology going on in there. Square shaft on roller bearings? You gotta be kidding me. The downside is that it is like a watch inside there when you go to service it.

But don't listen to me, go ride as many bikes as you can find, and decide what is best for you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.