Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Specialized Rida
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am on my second separated shoulder (catagory 4), and finally deciding on a body/shoulder protector.

I took a look at all the brands out there and figured the moto style protectors seem to be the best for all around body and shoulder protection. It makes sense becuase its light weight and if a motorcycle rider can take a hard impact with these on then I figured it would be best for mountain biking.

For me it seems that the level of protection using the other type of body suits seems to be very mininimal, but I can't say for sure since I have never worn one in a serious crash.

What do you guys think?
 

Attachments

·
Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
skate said:
Well I am on my second separated shoulder (catagory 4), and finally deciding on a body/shoulder protector.

I took a look at all the brands out there and figured the moto style protectors seem to be the best for all around body and shoulder protection. It makes sense becuase its light weight and if a motorcycle rider can take a hard impact with these on then I figured it would be best for mountain biking.

For me it seems that the level of protection using the other type of body suits seems to be very mininimal, but I can't say for sure since I have never worn one in a serious crash.

What do you guys think?
Since I broke my collar bone in 4 places once, I dont want to go thru that again. It's a great Chest Protector, and has been very solid for me. The Chest protector Has been great for me. Enjoy! :D
 

·
Specialized Rida
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobsterCraw said:
Those are for MX. you won't have much luck with those on mountain bikes. Its been tried before.
Why wouldn't it work?
I already have the arm and elbow pads. So all I would need is the chest, back, and shoulder protection. Which looks like this would cover.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts

·
Specialized Rida
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this is what I meant. If you look at the picture that area I have pointed out is just plain cloth. This feature is common among most suits like rockgardn,sixsixone,fox, etc.

My concern with this region is that fact that your should could still be pushed in,back, up, or foward in a crash due to the fact that its is a strechable cloth. To me it seems that only protection that you get from that shoulder pad is from not getting to scratched or banged up. At the same time it still seems possible to tear all your tendons up if the should were to be moved to far in any direction.

Now the other hardshell protector seems to be better because the hard portion of it is raised while the padding is still below it, so it would absorb the hit first instead of the shoulder absorbing the hit.

Like I mentioned before I have never worn either one so I could be wrong when it comes to protection. I am also aware that every pad is not 100% full proof, but if one could offer more protection than that other then I would go with that one.
 

Attachments

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
MX vs. pressure suit.

This debate comes up often. If you use an MX style body armor, you have to make sure it is designed to absorb impact to a decent degree. All MX style armor is not created equal. Some are no more than plastic panels attached to one another. The good ones actually have resilient foam pads at key points on the inside of the plastic panels. These actually absorb a lot of the impact upon contact. A couple of pics here shows those pads that I refer to.

I use an Answer Apex armor set with Fox elbow guards attached to the shoulder cuffs. These work very well, are cooler than pressure suits, are quite light. I think some of the quality high dollar pressure suits offer more overall protection, but when it's hot or you're doing a lot of pedaling, you can wear this very comfortably. Those foam pads actually hold the ventilated panels off your body and also suspend your Camelback just off your body for better ventilation. Pressure suits are great for shuttled runs or really cool weather, but quality MX style armor can be worn just about anytime without a heat stroke.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,726 Posts
I use pretty much the same gear for the motorbike and the Pushbike well exept for the boots and the helmet....


The Dainese Exo-squeleton is super comfy, specially when is really hot and you are suffering......


super flexible and un-intrusive, you can ride all day with it and forget you are wearing it..


The basic Prinsiple,,,,
If is sufficient protection for the Motorcycle, is more than sufficient for the Bicycle
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Where the heck is that motorcycle race occuring?...and what kind of race? It looks a little like the enduro racing conditions we have in the U.S. sometime, but those are gigantic dual purpose bikes that would be horrible to try to ride in that mud. My KLR650 looks like a 125MX bike compared to that beastly BMW...LOL! Neat pics.
 

·
I like air!
Joined
·
915 Posts
Well Skate, I feel your pain. I'm still dealing with a category 3 separated shoulder from the summer. I'm assuming you need surgery with a 4 because I'm going to have to have surgery to correct mine. I'm in the same boat looking for shoulder protection and from what I understand the 2 major ways to separate your shoulder are: 1 to extend your arm out in a fall which in turn transfers the energy to your shoulder or by: 2 landing directly on your shoulder.

Neither suit will do much to protect you from the first scenario. But the MX one like you have pictured offers no shoulder protection for either scenario. If you fell directly on your shoulder using one of those the suit would just shift out of the way because its loose. As a matter of a fact I can't see much in using one of those at all for DH/FR except for a little back protection and even then it doesn't protect the most vulnerable part of your back because its too short.

Suits like Dianese, 661 and Fox would work a little better because the whole suit is form fitting and would offer more protection from over extending areas like the shoulder plus the plastic has padding to help absorb the impact. But if you really want some serious shoulder protection this is the best option I have found to date is the Dianese Wave . It has a lot more shoulder protection then any other suit I have seen. I'm not using one yet because I'm going to get one some time over this winter .
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,009 Posts
TNC said:
Where the heck is that motorcycle race occuring?...and what kind of race? It looks a little like the enduro racing conditions we have in the U.S. sometime, but those are gigantic dual purpose bikes that would be horrible to try to ride in that mud. My KLR650 looks like a 125MX bike compared to that beastly BMW...LOL! Neat pics.
yeah love the mud bath...it is good for the skin
 

·
e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
im getting the 2006 661,,,, uhhh its red idk what its called

but i broke my colarbone in 2 and i def dont want to do that again, so im going to get that

i dont think any pressure suit will help you not break your collar bone in many ways

i broke mine because of the range of motion in my shoulder moving frontwards so much that it just snapped because of pressure, no pressure suit is going to prevent your mobility of your shoulder,

but with times when you break your collarbone because of impact ( tree) then thats a diff story

it depends how you fall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
I use a Thor Defender after breaking a collarbone into 3 pieces. I had the same issue with the pressure suits - none of them would have stopped the break I got (direct blow to the collarbone). It is padded like the Fox suit above and floats above the shoulder to absorb more impact. It is surprisingly easy to wear and not all that hot. I keep thinking it will feel way bulkier than it actually does when its on.

EDIT- my mistake, its a Thor Force protector
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,726 Posts
TNC said:
Where the heck is that motorcycle race occuring?...and what kind of race? It looks a little like the enduro racing conditions we have in the U.S. sometime, but those are gigantic dual purpose bikes that would be horrible to try to ride in that mud. My KLR650 looks like a 125MX bike compared to that beastly BMW...LOL! Neat pics.
Clear Creek in california (near Holister)
I was kind of "Teaching" a class in motorcycle handling and off road skills..

the Big bike is exelent for credivility, because NO Body is going to complain their bike is to heavy or clumssy and they can not do a certain exercise., since My Golem is pretty much as difficult to handle as you can find,, specially In the Mud beleive me

I did race that same bike at the Elsinore Grand prix race two years ago,, pretty much the most stupid thing i ever try



Actually I crash pretty bad on that race and crack 3 ribbs (thanks for the chest protector if not will be much worst i'm sure) and also crack my pelvis when i hit the ground on a Unproteced part of the pants..
i also hit my elbow super hard, but i did not even get a scratch exept the load when into my collar bone and for sure was brusse and hurting for a long long time..

for sure this protectiors are not perfect (they will be to heavy and intrusive) but for sure the safety gear helps a lot..
 

·
Specialized Rida
Joined
·
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
milhouse said:
Well Skate, I feel your pain. I'm still dealing with a category 3 separated shoulder from the summer. I'm assuming you need surgery with a 4 because I'm going to have to have surgery to correct mine. I'm in the same boat looking for shoulder protection and from what I understand the 2 major ways to separate your shoulder are: 1 to extend your arm out in a fall which in turn transfers the energy to your shoulder or by: 2 landing directly on your shoulder.

Neither suit will do much to protect you from the first scenario. But the MX one like you have pictured offers no shoulder protection for either scenario. If you fell directly on your shoulder using one of those the suit would just shift out of the way because its loose. As a matter of a fact I can't see much in using one of those at all for DH/FR except for a little back protection and even then it doesn't protect the most vulnerable part of your back because its too short.

Suits like Dianese, 661 and Fox would work a little better because the whole suit is form fitting and would offer more protection from over extending areas like the shoulder plus the plastic has padding to help absorb the impact. But if you really want some serious shoulder protection this is the best option I have found to date is the Dianese Wave . It has a lot more shoulder protection then any other suit I have seen. I'm not using one yet because I'm going to get one some time over this winter .
I love that Dianese Safety jacket. The only place I saw that had it was go ride.
For 399 that is one expensive suit.

Well I guess I still have time to buy since I won't be riding anytime soon. I am still in the process of being in and out the doctors office trying to determing whether or not I need surgury. I guess I could go for the non surgery route, but there would be some con's to it.
More than likely I will just do the surgery so that I can get everything as close to normal as possible.
but it's just killing me thinking how long I am going to have to be without riding. :mad:

Thanks for all you posts and keep all the good information comming. I think I have learned quiet bit between the two. As of right now I will keep eye balling that dianese unless there is something better.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top