Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XT crankset that I want to get colored external cups. I was going to buy Enduro Fork Seals bb press and bearings and then press them into the cups. I want a red set of cups, but don't want to buy an expensive Hope or Chris King bb just to get the color choices. Any other options?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great for the red cups, but I also want to get some in blue. His only come in red as far as I can tell. Is there anyone else out there selling colored bottom brackets that aren't ridiculously expensive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
kmcdonou said:
That's great for the red cups, but I also want to get some in blue. His only come in red as far as I can tell. Is there anyone else out there selling colored bottom brackets that aren't ridiculously expensive?
Yeah same here I'm hoping he does blue also so I'm just going to wait too see if that happens I might even pop a email his way to ask. I will let you know the answer when I get a reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that. If the Chris King does last 5 years then it is the best deal. I am just skeptical that the bearings will indeed last that long. Plus I have to buy the grease injector, which I suspect is an extra $40. With the Enduro press I only have to buy bearings, which are only $15.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
kmcdonou said:
If the Chris King does last 5 years then it is the best deal. I am just skeptical that the bearings will indeed last that long.
Yeah me too, although I've bought already bought a set.. fingers crossed. You don't need the tool to re-grease, the manual explains how to do it by the more usual method of removing the seals, flushing and repacking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I saw him too. This bottom bracket would be perfect, however, on his site he states he won't ship to the U.S. His Ebay listing excludes the U.S. as well. I sent him a message asking about shipping to the U.S., but he didn't respond. I'll try again as he sent me a message about having these bottom brackets in my shopping cart, but not completing the payment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
This post made me chuckle... back in the early 90's we all went mad for purple anodised parts - although personally, I avoided this strange trend.

It would seem to me that a coloured bottom bracket shell would hardly show on a bike - I'd like to see pics of it installed - will it really be the icing on the cake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
markw1970 said:
This post made me chuckle... back in the early 90's we all went mad for purple anodised parts - although personally, I avoided this strange trend.

It would seem to me that a coloured bottom bracket shell would hardly show on a bike - I'd like to see pics of it installed - will it really be the icing on the cake?
Colored bottom bracket shells are totally unnecessary. No argument from me. That said, I will would like one to add some color to my bike. Purely aesthetic, nothing more.
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
kmcdonou said:
I thought about that. If the Chris King does last 5 years then it is the best deal. I am just skeptical that the bearings will indeed last that long. Plus I have to buy the grease injector, which I suspect is an extra $40. With the Enduro press I only have to buy bearings, which are only $15.
who said they last 5 years? all I could find on their website was that they needed to be serviced every 6mos to a year, manual says strip & regrease every 3 to 6 mos.

wondering also if that grease injector would work on others bearings??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dan0 said:
what was wrong with the hopes?
Well, that's a tough call. They are $70. I want a red one and a blue one. That's $140 plus $20 shipping for a total of $160.

The King bb is $129 from Universal Cycles. Two of them with shipping plus a 15% discount (as I would order a couple more things to get this discount) is $220. However, I probably would buy the grease injector which is sold as a kit with the bb tool at $100. Thus, the total is $320.

If the Hope's wear out like other bb (maybe you get somewhat longer life) I will need to replace the bearings and thus need to buy the Enduro bearing press at $120. With the press the total would be $280. Bearing replacement will be cheap, though, at only $15 a bb.

It's really a tough call. It's almost a wash either way. The unknown factor is the quality of the Hope bearings/seals. I can't find what their warranty is and since they've been out just a short time, no reports on durability in wetter conditions (I live in the U.P. of Michigan and I go through a lot of mud). The thing with the King bb is you get a 5 year warranty. That is a long time.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top