Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wish they went Megatower or Yeti 130/50?

I see all these amazing reviews and I just wanna check to see if people are satisfied...

I test rode one yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I don’t regret it, but I’m still working on a solution to hand pressure and pain due probably to multiple factors. The steep seat tube angle favors your weight forward on hands compared to older geometry. I have about 500 miles on it and have had it since October.

If I find a solution, I will be very happy. If not, I will probably sell it and get something else. The bike handles so well, it’s hard to think about finding anything else that can compete in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't regret it, but I'm still working on a solution to hand pressure and pain due probably to multiple factors. The steep seat tube angle favors your weight forward on hands compared to older geometry. I have about 500 miles on it and have had it since October.

If I find a solution, I will be very happy. If not, I will probably sell it and get something else. The bike handles so well, it's hard to think about finding anything else that can compete in that area.

I'm looking at this for all day trail riding 3 - 4 hours punchy climbs - switchbacks - rocks - with not many crazy descents ...
Is this too much bike ?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I don't regret it, but I'm still working on a solution to hand pressure and pain due probably to multiple factors. The steep seat tube angle favors your weight forward on hands compared to older geometry. I have about 500 miles on it and have had it since October.

If I find a solution, I will be very happy. If not, I will probably sell it and get something else. The bike handles so well, it's hard to think about finding anything else that can compete in that area.

I switched my cockpit out (bars, stem and grips) and I'm in heaven. The Ibis bars were a weird bend. Stock grips were hard AF and I added a bit of rise in my stem. All minor tweaks but a massive improvement.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I'm looking at this for all day trail riding 3 - 4 hours punchy climbs - switchbacks - rocks - with not many crazy descents ...
Is this too much bike ?

Certainly doesn't sound like too much bike. It's a surprisingly agile climbing bike, and downhill bike descending capabilities. Not a combo that many others on the market can claim. The only awkward conditions are flat-ish trails, and only because these are the conditions that really make you notice your weight forward on the bars.

I have some ESI Extra chunky foam grips and a super short riser stem coming, and already a bunch of other changes such as 12 degree backsweep SQLab bars and cleats moved all the way back on my shoe. I feel like I'm getting closer.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

I see all these amazing reviews and I just wanna check to see if people are satisfied...

My SB150 demo left a lot to be desired. It liked to plow the snot out of DH, but lacked the "poppy" playfulness of the Ripmo and felt really long and wandering while climbing. Which I know long is a trend, but Ripmo seems like a better "all arounder" - SB150 more enduro racer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I switched my cockpit out (bars, stem and grips) and I'm in heaven. The Ibis bars were a weird bend. Stock grips were hard AF and I added a bit of rise in my stem. All minor tweaks but a massive improvement.

What bar and stem did you end up with?

·
Registered
932 Posts
What bar and stem did you end up with?
Swage 50mm stem with 5 degree rise, RF NextR bars with 20mm rise, 8 degrees of sweep and 5 degrees of rise and Ergon GE1 grips.

The combination of bar and stem rise took pressure of my hands and onto my saddle and these grips are simply perfect. Not big and goey. Not hard and thin. Great shape. Perfect durometer.

This bike was a huge update for me. I was riding a 2008 HT 29er previously. I demod a lot of bikes. Got the Ripley last April and haven't looked back. Riding is so fun again I can't stop.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Swage 50mm stem with 5 degree rise, RF NextR bars with 20mm rise, 8 degrees of sweep and 5 degrees of rise and Ergon GE1 grips.

The combination of bar and stem rise took pressure of my hands and onto my saddle and these grips are simply perfect. Not big and goey. Not hard and thin. Great shape. Perfect durometer.

This gave you more reach ? Wouldn't a 60 mm stem open the cockpit more ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is this too much bike ?

Having ridden both, the Ripley would be my choice for your described riding. Ripley definitely feels like a min-Ripmo, but lighter feeling. Throw a 140mm fork on the Ripley and it'll handle gnarly descents pretty well.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having ridden both, the Ripley would be my choice for your described riding. Ripley definitely feels like a min-Ripmo, but lighter feeling. Throw a 140mm fork on the Ripley and it'll handle gnarly descents pretty well.
Looking at this now - Ripley - 500 reach XL - great reviews - mtb awesome said it's a better xl than the ripmo tho it needs a better rear shock.
Now I'm really confused! Lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looking at this now - Ripley - 500 reach XL - great reviews - mtb awesome said it's a better xl than the ripmo tho it needs a better rear shock.
Now I'm really confused! Lol

Riding a brand new FOX DPS on the Ripley demo yesterday, it felt reeally good. I don't remember it feeling as nice when my V2 was new. I'm sure there's been some updates over the past 3 years. Nonetheless, I had my DPS redone by Avalanche and I don't think it feels better than the Cane Creek DB IL I mostly run now. I would recommend the CC or try the Manitou McCleod, which has piqued my interest. Maybe a DPX2 if they fit.......Either way, might be happy with the DPS until it gets "old".

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Certainly doesn't sound like too much bike. It's a surprisingly agile climbing bike, and downhill bike descending capabilities. Not a combo that many others on the market can claim. The only awkward conditions are flat-ish trails, and only because these are the conditions that really make you notice your weight forward on the bars.

I have some ESI Extra chunky foam grips and a super short riser stem coming, and already a bunch of other changes such as 12 degree backsweep SQLab bars and cleats moved all the way back on my shoe. I feel like I'm getting closer.

I've only had a handful of rides on my Ripmo, but yeah, I feel that too on flat-ish trails. And exacerbated by faster, rougher flatish trails. I found if I move my butt as far back on the seat as possible, it helps alleviate the hand pressure. Therefore I moved my seat back about 5mm on the seat post to see if that helps. My old man knees are pretty sensitive to changes like this, so this is an experiment for sure.

I ride an XL frame, 50mm stem (no rise), 780mm wide bar, 8* back, 4* up, 30mm rise. And 30mm spacer under stem. I'm 6'3" FYI...

I have a history of hand/wrist injuries from racing and crashing. I find when I'm in "rehab" stage, the Ergon winged grips like the GA3 really help me to get back riding while getting my strength back. That may help too.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Yes, definitely satisfied. Will keep for long time. I miss the dw link suspension of my old Turner 5Spot. And the Ibis quality and attention to detail is all-time!

Full disclosure: I never tried the SC or Yeti. Didn't need to.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts