Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yep!! Raced my Durance twice last year. Did the "short" version of the Chupacabras race in Juarez, Mexico. It was advertised as a 50 km but was in fact a 42 miler. I'd done the "long' race; the 100km 4 other times on hardtail and FS.
I bought my Durance to ride/race it. Is it a "Real XC Racer"? (Whatever THAT may mean??). If a XC racer is less than 23 some pounds, then it is NOT a XC racer. Is it a mtnbike? YES!!! A darn good one with great suspension (especially for an over 60 oldguy with 2 bad discs, and 3 hip replacements).
I guess I am REAL OLD SCHOOL!! Meaning i come from the race mentality of "Run What You Brung" in motorcycle racing in the 70's. You took whatever bike you had to race. If it was an enduro bike you took the lights off, and raced it and had a heck-uva good time!! I had a 175cc Kawasaki enduro (it was all I could afford). Was it a "racer" nope/ not even! Heck around here there even wasn't a class for 175 cc bikes. Anyone with a 175 bike had to race against the 250cc bikes. But i went and raced "whut I brung' and alwayts had a heck-uva-good-time!!
To me a "racer' is a person who signs up for a mtnbike race and they are lined up at the starting line. Period. What they ride means nothing, "racer' is the person not the ride. If it were the ride, then who would qualify, only those with the high-zoot carbonfiber $$$$$$$ bikes only need apply???? Or only the really "good" racers; the ones that win?? if those were the rules then there would be only a few "racers'.
That's why my favorite race is the Chupacabras 100KM race in Juarez, Mexico. Over 2,200 starters with EVERY kind of bike and rider ever is lined up at the start line. Both men and women. The out-of-shape, overweight; the skinny, the old, the very young, the "first time racers"; the "I'm only ridding to the hard part" rider; I'm ridding with my buddies rider; the "it sounds like it could be fun"; the "I've never ridden that far before" rider; Olympic and National champion racers; etc. etc.
And you see every kind of bike ever there too!!! The $$$$$ high zoot carbon fiber everything; the downhill bike; the 15 year old or older mtnbike; the Murrey, the Wal-Mart; the Pacific dual suspension; the "this is not my bike, it's borrowed"; the $400; the $3,000 etc bikes; To sum it up you see an ocean of mtnbikers lined up at a startline to .......ride their bikes and......HAVE FUN!!!!
Isn't that what mtnbiking is all about???
Just my very cheap. biased $0.02 opinion from a very old, very slow, "racer" who still has fun ridding/racing his mtnbike!!
Setup your Matic for you, sign up for any race and........have fun!!!!
I wish you well and fun and injury free racing/ridding!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ironman1518, very well put. Don't think about racing, just go and do it, and enjoy the atmospere of everyone there is there to ride thier bike. I'm lucky to have a more "race" oriented Maverick, but I would not consider it a light weight by anymeans. The best part is that it's not the bike that is slowing me down! It's just so darn fun to ride, that if I need to go faster, a light "race" bike won't do it, bigger quads will!! Enjoy the ride and come to Colorado for a race or 2. (mscrace.com)

·
Registered
583 Posts
regulator3212 said:
... was wondering if any of you race your Mavericks?
i can't say i "race" or "compete", but do take part in one or two marathons, enduro type events and a 24h event in a 4-man team in finale ligure (italy).

the marathons are more to sharpen me up for big alpine tours and enduro escapades, the 24h in finale is just a fine event on real mtb worthy trails.

ragetty

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who races their Maverick?

Sounds good, I might rephrase the question and ask Who races their Maverick? Great photos. I got back into biking a year ago when I purchase my Matic. I sold my litespeed to purchase this bike. I tried a lot of full-suspension before I purchased the Maverick. I have no regrets. I even purchased a motolite and resold it because I found that I opted for the Maverick everytime.What a great product. Thanks Maverick.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I raced on mine last year. A 12 hour solo race, 24 hour team race and various enduros. I do think they are more suited to the long distance work where their pedalling effeciency and comfort will help.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Racing my Maverick

Thanks for the kind words Ethan. For ME:) it IS about having FUN!!. One of my favorite questions I am asked is: "What's the best bike?" I repond:"The one you ride!!" I think we all know folks with $$$$$ bikes hanging in the garage. To me that is "useless", unlike the person ridding whatever they can afford, and using it all the time.
As far as I'm concerned, I agree with Ethan, bigger quads would be by far better than less weight on the bike!! In fact for me, it be better less weight around my middle than less weight on my bike. LOL LOL!!:D
Yeah a lighter bike can be easier to ride, especially to push/carry in tough hike-a-bike sections, but how much faster am I gonna finish a race cause my bike is one or two punds lighter?? (and my wallet $$$$$$ lighter as well):rolleyes:
Back in '71 Joel Robert was a World Motocross Champion. The rumor was that he was soo good he cought beat everyone even if he was ridding a Vespa!!!:eek: To me it IS the rider more so than the bike.
Just ride and have fun!!:D

·
Bike Vigilante
29 Posts
ST, XC, and 100milers

I've raced my ML7 in short track, XC, and endurance races. It's 25lb when set up for racing, and 28lb when set up for trail riding. Mainly it's just a wheel/tire change. The rear suspension is incredibly efficient. The DUC32 took some work to sprint well at the short track races, but it does alright. For XC and endurance races, the Maverick is just about perfect.

I used to have a short travel FS XC race rig that was a little lighter. I got the ML7 when I thought I wasn't going to race anymore but about two weeks after I got it I was racing again. The ML7 was a much more efficient climber on gravel roads and on steep rough stuff than the race bike I had before. And there was no comparison on the descending.

I'll be racing it again this year in short track and endurance races. Maybe a little XC also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First Race

Got my Durance 5 months ago. My first full sus.
Had its first race beginning of Jan 09 - Sport class 16mi XC with plenty of downhill. Placed first and looking forward to trying out again sometime.
People say riding a hard tail will improve your lines/skills but I have gained more in the last 5 months than the last 5 years riding this bike. It rocks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
This guy does, and regularly whupps everyone else's posterior while at it.

I recall that Pat, the rider in the photo, says that he prefers the Maverick over his Cove hardtail, even in the tight technical races. The bike certainly has greater traction on the technical ascents than a hardtail. Just keep supplying the power, and it will scoot up the trail.

·
Registered
613 Posts
sxotty said:
It looks like a tropical rainforest.
Ding ding. You know your forests well ;-)

It's in Malaysia. Truth be told, the particular photos were not taken during a race, but a race is regularly held in the area. Pat is an expatriate Canadian who regularly wins his age group race on his Durance.

One more Maverick related jungebiking pic:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.