Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hear what the impressions are after the replacement. Is the upgrade worth it ?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I haven't ridden the Smuggler, but have owned a Patrol and Sentinel. For reference, the Sentinel felt big, while the Sentinel surprisingly just felt great and was one of my favorite bikes. They both pedaled/climbed really well for their travel and capability. And downhill they were fantastic and the rear end provided great traction.

I have a V2 Offering now and moved from a V1. V1 felt a bit short with a 150 fork. My V2 has a 160 fork and I honestly think this might be the best trail bike I've ridden. The DELTA suspension is unique and just eats up bumps for the first part of it's travel and then ramps smoothly for large hits, so it's a bit more poppy than the Horst link on Transitions. It's super easy to just dip further into the travel and just hop over small obstacles in the trail. Transitions do a great job of maintaining traction, but are not as easy to just whip around and hop over things. With the V2 I think you are getting a bike with more travel that is very nimble and able to take big hits as well or better than any other 140 bike. And, if your trails are more mellow, it's still a very fun bike although a Following could be just as good if you are looking for an Evil.

I think the one thing that might cause a hiccup could be sizing. V2 with a 160 fork falls right between sizes on the Smuggler. You would need to figure out whether you wanted a slightly larger or smaller bike. IMO, Transition makes great bikes and I really like them, but the Evil is a little more focused on fun and agility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much mrallen for the detailed explanation. I owned the 2016 patrol before the smuggler and found the smuggler much more agile and fun. The geometry of the SBG and the 29-inch wheels compensate for the head angle in downhills and climbing is much better. I have heard so many good things about Evil delta link system can't wait to try it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't ridden the Smuggler, but have owned a Patrol and Sentinel. For reference, the Sentinel felt big, while the Sentinel surprisingly just felt great and was one of my favorite bikes. They both pedaled/climbed really well for their travel and capability. And downhill they were fantastic and the rear end provided great traction.

I have a V2 Offering now and moved from a V1. V1 felt a bit short with a 150 fork. My V2 has a 160 fork and I honestly think this might be the best trail bike I've ridden.
Nice write-up. Quick side question:

I've got a v2 with a 150 fox 36. Works great for most of my riding. Thinking about bumping the travel up to 160 to have for steeper, rougher trails.

Consensus seems to be that adding 10mm out front doesn't cost much in terms of feel, playfulness, and efficiency.

Has matched you experience (granted going from v1 to v2)?

thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice write-up. Quick side question:

I've got a v2 with a 150 fox 36. Works great for most of my riding. Thinking about bumping the travel up to 160 to have for steeper, rougher trails.

Consensus seems to be that adding 10mm out front doesn't cost much in terms of feel, playfulness, and efficiency.

Has matched you experience (granted going from v1 to v2)?

thanks
V1 with a 150 is kind of the same setup as the V2 with 160 since the V1 was designed for a 140 fork as the base. For me going from a V1 to a V2 feels really similar. My V2 is very agile and playful. The steeper STA on the V2 keeps you in a better pedaling position so it's very efficient.

You might notice a slight loss in steering quickness, but it won't be significant. Half a degree is noticeable, but not tremendously. Worst case you can swap it back in about 30 minutes. Personally, I think the bike was meant for a 160 fork.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might notice a slight loss in steering quickness, but it won't be significant. Half a degree is noticeable, but not tremendously. Worst case you can swap it back in about 30 minutes. Personally, I think the bike was meant for a 160 fork.
Thanks. I'll try it out. I can always swap it out to match what I need for any particular trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts