Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a new crankset tonight & wondering if anyone makes an adapter that would allow me to use the 22T chainring as a rear cog.

Anyone know of such a beast?

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
Yep - Check with Gene at Spicercycles.com he can hook you up with the GCA (Granny Cog Adapter). They come in 2 sizes 58mm and 74mm I believe. I'm using mine until my Boone cogs arrive.

Yes I know the axle is long in this pic - it was the throw my new bike together and see what it looks like.... I've also switched to all black spacers now....lol - because it made me faster...lol

FF

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got really into the idea a while back, but then began to think about it more.
When looking at both the cost of buying into the c-ring adapter system, and the $/mile of the c-ring, it turns out that in both the short and the long run, it's more expensive to use thin chainrings instead of nice thick toothed SS specific cogs.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Depends!

That all depends on where you get the chainrings from. In the short term it is definately more expensive, as you have to shell out the $55.00 for the adapter. 20 and 22 tooth steel chainrings are easily found for like $5.00 these days, so after a while, you would end up saving money. It also makes it much easier and cheaper to change your gearing (as long as you only want to use 20, 22, or 24 teeth). It does seem a little more complicated than it needs to be, with more parts to potentially fail (aluminum chainring bolts!) It is also probably heavier than a simple cog, especially an aluminum one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.