Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to replace the entire drive train on my C'dale but I need some recommendations for an 8 speed cassette. The only ones I have been able to find are SRAM's with terrible reviews.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Depends on what....

you consider decent. If you are talking LX/971 or above, nope. Nobody is making anything of that level anymore in 8 speed. If you look around you can occasionally find an older model Shimano XT cassette in 8 speed that somebody found a pile of laying in a warehouse somewhere. But they're getting rare. The higher end stuff, LX, XT, XTR for shimano and 890, 880, 870 for SRAM, aren't being produced anymore. So supplies are drying up. The best SRAM produces are the 830 and 850, and for Shimano it's the Alivio and below. Those are the only 8 speed cassettes that are currently being produced by either company that would offer "reliable" availability.

There are a couple on online retailers that "say" they have them in stock.

Performance Bike

http://www.performancebike.com/shop...7&subcategory_ID=&CFID=15636&CFTOKEN=40718906

REI

http://www.rei.com/product/639493

And if you Google "Shimano XT 8 speed cassette" you may find others as well. But they won't be cheap. They're selling for between $60 and $70 new. You might find something on Ebay or Craiglist as well.

Just a word of advice though. If you intend to keep running 8 speed, pick up more than one! Good 8 speed components are getting hard to find.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Squash said:
you consider decent. If you are talking LX/971 or above, nope. Nobody is making anything of that level anymore in 8 speed. If you look around you can occasionally find an older model Shimano XT cassette in 8 speed that somebody found a pile of laying in a warehouse somewhere. But they're getting rare. The higher end stuff, LX, XT, XTR for shimano and 890, 880, 870 for SRAM, aren't being produced anymore. So supplies are drying up. The best SRAM produces are the 830 and 850, and for Shimano it's the Alivio and below. Those are the only 8 speed cassettes that are currently being produced by either company that would offer "reliable" availability.

There are a couple on online retailers that "say" they have them in stock.

Performance Bike

http://www.performancebike.com/shop...7&subcategory_ID=&CFID=15636&CFTOKEN=40718906

REI

http://www.rei.com/product/639493

And if you Google "Shimano XT 8 speed cassette" you may find others as well. But they won't be cheap. They're selling for between $60 and $70 new. You might find something on Ebay or Craiglist as well.

Just a word of advice though. If you intend to keep running 8 speed, pick up more than one! Good 8 speed components are getting hard to find.

Good Dirt
Thanks, that was a good bit of info :thumbsup:. So out of what's being produced and readily available (830, 850 and Alivio), what do you think is the best?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
djp2k8 said:
Tree Fort Bikes and Beyond Bikes both have XT 8-speed cassettes for about $50.
Is that a good price for an XT? I'm not really up on my component costs as this is my first time replacing anything. I was thinking about putting an XT chainring up front so I'm guessing that it will bee good compatibility, not to mention my derailleurs ar XT's.

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Newer/higher SRAMs work fine

SRAM has come out with the 850(?) line that are priced well and work fine, as far as I can tell. I wrench on friends' bike, put one on a Giant Cadex roadie and another on an older Stumpy. No complaints. Ebay's also a source for Shimano, but I'd be wary of buying a used cassette on Ebay- you may be getting someone else's paper weight.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
If I'm running a hub that has a Titanium or Steel freehub - I'll go with the SRAM 850. It is as light as the Shimano XT, and the shifting has been pretty good on my bike.

If I've got a aluminum freehub body - gotta shop around to find an XT or XTR. They still can be found, but it isn't always easy. If you can find one for $45 you're doiing great. (Performance sales and coupons do work pretty well...), otherwise I've seen 'em for $55-$60 for an XT-8. Most of what's out there is 11-30, near impossible finding an 11-28. If I could I'd trade even for those.

I've stockpiled a few, and the packrat in me is always looking for other ones. I'd love to hit the powerball and open up 'Retro Designs' that puts back into production stuff like this - 8 speed shifters and cassettes, and some of the nifty old weird parts too... but I digress...

JmZ

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sno_rocker said:
Thanks, that was a good bit of info :thumbsup:. So out of what's being produced and readily available (830, 850 and Alivio), what do you think is the best?
I have been using current SRAM 8-sp cassettes with no issues

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I should pick up some SRAM attack shifters while they're still in production as well...I think I'm going to go for the 850. If I do I'll let you guys know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.