Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at 4"min travel frames and can't afford something like Ibis' new mojo carbon but would still like to build at 25 #s or less. thanks for any infor.
o-c

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
ol-crank said:
I am looking at 4"min travel frames and can't afford something like Ibis' new mojo carbon but would still like to build at 25 #s or less. thanks for any infor.
o-c
It can be done. With the next parts swap I'll have a El Feugo that will be disc braked (with the heavy Avid mechanicals) and under 25 pounds. I figure the frame is about 6 pounds give or take. You'll have to watch individual parts pics, but it can be done.

Should be able to build a Ventana El Salty, a Turner 5 spot, a Yeti 575 or a bunch of others to 25 pounds. It won't be cheap, and you might not want to take it down A-Line at Whistler, but it can be done for a good XC/Agressive XC build.

Good luck,

JmZ

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
ol-crank said:
o-c
I bought a Kona King Kikapu from my LBS last year. Frame and Fox fork were about 1200, and had him build it with parts I got from him and from stuff I scoured the net for. Probably paid around 3200 total when it was all done. Depending on tires, it weights 23 lbs even and is completely race worthy.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how would a minute 3 fork work on the king kikapu and

do you know the ht angle on the kikapu as it is not on the Kona site? I was leaning toward the trance because it has a 71 degree angle when most have a 69 to 70. I was thinking that the minute 3 stretches out to 130 mm travel and it might chopper the bike a bit but any steeper fork angle would be better.
thanks for your input,
bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.