Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what is the exact wieght of a stock large prophet 1000, stock large rush 1000, stock large gemini 1000, stock large scaple 1000. i wonder why cannondale never posts this information...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
No one does.

david8613 said:
i was wondering what is the exact wieght of a stock large prophet 1000, stock large rush 1000, stock large gemini 1000, stock large scaple 1000. i wonder why cannondale never posts this information...
Very few post the claimed weights of the bikes, as there is too many variables involved.

I know that my 2003 Gemini 1000 weighed 36lb stock. That model has been discontinued.

·
Registered
29 Posts
prophet 1000 and rush 1000 weight

I was in a shop last week and watched someone put a large prophet 1000 on the scale (31 pounds) and then a large rush 1000 (29 pounds) with stock pedals. Interestingly my own large '06 prophet 600 also weighs about 31 pounds.

·
Registered
223 Posts
david8613 said:
I beleive a large scalpel 1000 is somewhere between 27 and 28 lbs

·
Registered
689 Posts
they don't post the weight because it can vary quite a bit and then people would be on here saying well they said the bike should weigh 26.5 and mine weighs 28. And what you wouldn't hear is the guy that got one that weighs 25. When I was at the shop a couple of days ago they were weighing a 05 Prophet 1000 med, 06 Rush 400 and a 06 Giant Trance 3 18"(doesn't come with pedals). They all were between 30 and just under 31 pounds in stock form with reflectors and every thing else that comes out of the box

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
applegreenheckler said:
they don't post the weight because it can vary quite a bit and then people would be on here saying well they said the bike should weigh 26.5 and mine weighs 28. And what you wouldn't hear is the guy that got one that weighs 25. When I was at the shop a couple of days ago they were weighing a 05 Prophet 1000 med, 06 Rush 400 and a 06 Giant Trance 3 18"(doesn't come with pedals). They all were between 30 and just under 31 pounds in stock form with reflectors and every thing else that comes out of the box
If there was a 1.5lb variance, I'd say the quality control of bike and /or selected components is way off and I would steer clear!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Weigh a bike on 3 different scales and you will get 3 different weights.

The other thing that happens with published weights is that Cannondale may weigh the bike honestly but we know that Brand X could fudge there numbers slightly to get an advantage. Who out there would steer clear of a bike just because the competition had a claimed weight that was lower? It is all about the ride. The on scale weight of a Rush may not be a lot different from a Prophet but went you are riding it you feel lighter and faster.

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
wv_rider said:
Weigh a bike on 3 different scales and you will get 3 different weights.

The other thing that happens with published weights is that Cannondale may weigh the bike honestly but we know that Brand X could fudge there numbers slightly to get an advantage. Who out there would steer clear of a bike just because the competition had a claimed weight that was lower? It is all about the ride. The on scale weight of a Rush may not be a lot different from a Prophet but went you are riding it you feel lighter and faster.
You may note that I didn't argue the case against withholding publication of the weight by the OEM.

I stated that your argument regarding the variance in weight would point to a more serious problem.

Of course every mass market scale set is going to vary. However I work in the aeropspace industry, and I can tell you for sure there are scales widely available that could measure the weight of a bike with a perfectly acceptable level of accuracy.

Meaning for a OEM to produce an accurate representation of their products weight is completely possible. That Customr X, or Critic Y is going to way said product on a bathroom scale, or at best fishing scale and claim another weight is a different story.

Don't you agree?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My previous bike was a Gary Fisher and even tho ppl say they don't publish stock weights for their bikes anywhere (probably meaning website and advertising), they actually do give you the weight in the user's manual once you've purchased the bike (it was a 2002 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc, reads 30lbs on the manual under specs).

I did weigh my Cannondale F800 with 3 different bathroom scales and apparently two of them gave the same reading while one shows 0.5 pounds more. I've upgraded a lot of stuff on it so it isn't stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts