Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they did the recall and gave people the parts to fix their hubs etc. but I just ordered a set of the geared disc brake wheels and all the AC stuff I have read on here has me a little spooked. I heard that they corrected the issues and things should be fine now, just wondering if anyone had some info on that. Thanks

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
bikeanddrum said:
I know they did the recall and gave people the parts to fix their hubs etc. but I just ordered a set of the geared disc brake wheels and all the AC stuff I have read on here has me a little spooked. I heard that they corrected the issues and things should be fine now, just wondering if anyone had some info on that. Thanks
Depends when they were made. Our road hubs had an issue as they were built before end June, but they only told us this a month ago :-(

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a set

I received a set of 29'er disc wheels in July.I've only got 3 rides on them,but so far they are fine.I weigh ~200 and do quite a few low gear grunt type climbs ans they have been perfect.

dan

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
i got my bike in august and Ninerbikes fixed the issue right before sending my wheels and since receiving it, perfect.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
IMO/Experiance

They say "they're fixed" every year. Some folks have had good results & some have not.
YMMV.

However, tomorrow I'm ordering a set from Niner Bikes, along with 2 forks, and a SIR9 to see for myself. I hope they're good as they combine alot of things - Value, Light Weight, and Look's. Durability is the last ?????

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
One thing you should be aware of is that American Classic will not sell you a replacement rim. They'll want you to send the hub back to them to be rebuilt. You could use a different rim, of course. However, if you need to replace one damaged rim and have a matching wheelset and you prefer building your own wheels and not waiting through shipping times and paying somebody to do something you could do perfectly well yourself... well, you're SOL.

I'll be riding a dented AC rim untill the new Salsa rims are available.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got a rear Am Classic hub stock on a Dos Niner. it was one of the recalled hubs. Fortunately, we have a local shop that sells a fair amount of Am Classic stuff, and they had the replacement part that fixes the problem. It is just a little drive plate that the spring engages to drive the pawls into the drive ring. The shop gave it to me, and 15 minutes, some allen wrenches, a cassette removal tool, and some grease fixed it. By the way, the problem is that the drive plate wouldn't reliably engage, so the cranks would rotate forward up to a 1/2 turn before driving the rear wheel. Not deadly, but very annoying.

My 2 cents on the hub so far since fix: works fine now, seems a little cheap, seals look lame. I don't expect it to last long, since we have a lot of wet weather here.

·
aka Taprider
836 Posts
no AM hasn't fixed the problem

they use the little spring pin to engage the cam plate
they warranteed my first one no problem and also gave me the new plate
but the new 2005 spec hub still broke only the third time I used it (it a race use wheel set)
it seems every time I race in the rain the AM spring pin craps out

AM were not going to warranty it the second time, but I piggy bagged my hub with my friends hub who did get a warranty number (his spring pin broke to)

when I got my hub back (at least this time it had a new freehub body) it still had the same spring pin as every years model before

the weak link has not been fixed for 2006

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
the seals are not very effective

in 3 months of no wet riding 5 of the 6 bearings were bad. they sent me the
new stainless bearings which they say will last longer, we'll see

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Will WTB also send out new bearings for the re-badged AC hubs? Mine were race-wheels too, hardly any moist, but they crapped out quick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts