Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my ass handed to me last Friday.

I had to be in Danville Friday afternoon so I decided to go early and try some of the local riding. Well I got a late start and I didn't get to Danville until 11:00. I debated eating lunch but I really didn't want to eat then ride. Plus I had a couple of cliff bars and a bag of sharkies, so I figured I was good to go (first mistake).
I stopped at a local Bike shop (Pegasus Bicycle Works on Railroad Ave) to pick up a trail map and some trail recommendations. Since I live in Santa Rosa I usually ride Anadel. A 15 to 25 mile ride is no problem so I was asking for something around 15-20. The bike shop employee (sorry, I can't remember the twisted little monkey's name) says that in order to get that many miles I should park on Remington and take the trail head from there (second mistake, never take trail advice from a kid in his 20s who works in a bike shop.... probably does this ride every day before breakfast). He casually tells me that it's about 1.8 miles of climbing at around 12% just to get to the actual trails. He says not to worry about it that I should be fine. The trail is a ridge trail so once I get up there it's all just rolling hills. What he called rollers are actually a never ending series of super steep descents (one of these, I believe it was on Del Amigo, which he did warn me about, was probably near 20% rolling through 8 inches of powder) and super steep climbs up the other side. Don't get me wrong this guy was super helpful and went out of his way to walk over to the railroad museum and get me a map. With out his help I probably would have gotten lost and would still up there.........crying.......in the fetal position.
After 2 hours of driving, my warm up consisted of unloading my bike than riding up onto the curb and across the sidewalk. Now up the 2 mile @ 12% climb to the trail head. An hour and half in, I ran out of water. Two hours in I finished my second/last cliff bar. A half hour after that I bonked. Don't even get me started on what my lungs felt like inhaling all that smoke from the California wild fires.
I've been riding off and on since '89. I have never bonked this hard. My whole body was just shutting down. I think it was the perfect storm: 1) not eating enough before the ride; 2) not carrying enough food with me in an unknown environment; 3) not carrying enough water (in my defense I carried exactly how much I need for a 20 mile ride in Anadel); 4) Getting out of my vehicle after a two hour drive, not warming up, literally crossing the sidewalk and starting a 2 mile ascent on a 12% grade and 5) doing all of this on a hot, smoky day when anyone with common sense is sitting at home watching toons.

Of course now it's Monday and I can't wait to go back.

So, back to my original question. Does anyone have GPS information for Las Trampas?
I started at Remington went right on Las Trampas Ridge, right on Calaveras Ridge, right on Del Amigo, left on Virgil Williams, Right on Madrone, left on Las Trampas Ridge back to Calaveras Ridge than down to Remington. For a grand total of 14.03 miles in about five hours ( 3 hours of actual riding with another 2 hours of map consulting, phone calls to let people know I was running a little late, suffering in the shade, etc.).
I am looking for total elevation gain and the average/max grade climbing from Remington and that lovely little descent on Del Amigo. Also what is the starting elevation at Remington, I am guessing around 400 ft. I know the highest point is about 1800 ft since the Las Trampas peak is at 1827 and you are only about 20 ft bellow it when you ride by.

Thanks

My warm up ride (from where I am standing to the fence)

Danville/San Ramon w/some monastary in the center

I made it to the trail head, I can start mountain biking now!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have it

I have GPS data for the standard Las Trampas ride in Garmin's proprietary format. Send me your e-mail address in a private message and I'll send you the file. I hope you have a Garmin, but even if you don't, there may be conversion software out there that will allow you to convert the file to an open-source format.

This is one of my favorite East Bay Regional Park District rides. You get a great workout and there are excellent views. The most significant drag is the unnecessary and possibly even dangerous descent of the absurdly overgrade Del Amigo Trail, forced on you because the EBRPD won't open the Las Trampas Ridge Trail singletrack portion to mountain biking, even though it would be safer and offer a real loop in that park. The EBRPD board member for Las Trampas and the supervisor of that park are, to put it politely, frosty toward mountain biking.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have only ridden Las Trampas once. It was from Lime Ridge to Shell Ridge thru Danville on the road then up Camille Rd to a trailhead. It was STEEP:eek: . I tried to stand in my middle ring to get up what seemed to be 20% grade and broke my chain:eekster: That ride was the impetis to me buying a "real mountain bike" vs. my 1990 Rockhopper with 1" future shock up front. So I both loath that ride because of the bad trip and love that ride for making me upgrade equipment and thus falling in love with mountain biking. I would love to see a good loop ride up there that wasn't just a rollercoaster ride straight up then straight down. Good luck with your search:thumbsup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan'ger,
Very informative. That graph detail is just crazy, it really shows how steep some of those sections are. I would still like to see the information for Remington though. I imagine it would not have been so soul crushing under more favorable conditions i.e. proper nutrition and an adequate warm up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have it
Thanks imtnbke,
Unfortuneately I do not have a GPS device. I am PMing you my email address anyway. Hopefully I will find a way to interprate the data.
The views were definately fantastic even under the smoky conditions. I am planning to go back on a clear day so that I can really enjoy them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have only ridden Las Trampas once. It was from Lime Ridge to Shell Ridge thru Danville on the road then up Camille Rd to a trailhead. It was STEEP . I tried to stand in my middle ring to get up what seemed to be 20% grade and broke my chain That ride was the impetis to me buying a "real mountain bike" vs. my 1990 Rockhopper with 1" future shock up front.
It would have been brutal on a hard tail!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.