Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I recently acquired a carbon bike and now I'm on the market for a torque wrench.

I live in Argentina, and unfortunately, tool availability is somewhat scarce. I found a good deal on a Shimano's PRO Torque Wrench and I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with it. I'm far from a professional mechanic, I just want to be safe when adjusting bolts during bike maintenance.

It seems that this kind of torque wrench needs to be calibrated every now and then, I am unsure how often that would be and how hard is the process (or even if I can do that myself). It is my understanding that the beam or deflection type does not need to be calibrated. I found a Lezyne one with this mechanism, that costs half of the PRO one (200 bucks for the PRO, 100 for the Lezyne one... yes, that expensive. C'est la vie).

Any experience on any one of those? Any general recommendations? As much I would like to receive brand and models recommendations, it probably wouldn't help since overall availability over here is really bad.

Many thanks for reading this far!

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,852 Posts
Don't you guys have hardware stores over there? A torque wrench doesn't need to have a bike brand on it as long as it has the proper range (you may want a couple - one lower like these and one higher for stuff that requires more force).

That Lezyne only goes to 10 Nm. The PRO only goes to 15 Nm. They're good for smaller bolts. No idea on quality of either, but both brands are generally well regarded.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked a few hardware stores, but the ones I found were generic Chinese that went from 5 nM upwards. I don't really trust them, especially when I have a few bolts that are in the 4~5 nM range. Thanks though!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Shimano pro, it’s a fine tool. The Lezyne flex I do not have, but I’ve used other brands of that style, also fine. The Shimano style won’t need calibration often if ever, unless you drop it, misuse it, or store it without unwinding the tq setting. In any case, as mentioned above, Google can show you how to recalibrate for free with some known weights.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Shimano pro, it's a fine tool. The Lezyne flex I do not have, but I've used other brands of that style, also fine. The Shimano style won't need calibration often if ever, unless you drop it, misuse it, or store it without unwinding the tq setting. In any case, as mentioned above, Google can show you how to recalibrate for free with some known weights.
Thanks, that helps a lot. I don't think I will need to use it more than a few times a month, if even that much. Once I have my cockpit setup, I usually check if anything is loose before my rides and that's about it. I don't disassemble my bikes often, so I guess I should be good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Any general recommendations?
Don't overthink it. It's a bike, not an aircraft. ?

Speaking of aircraft, out of curiosity I had an aircraft owner/builder/mechanic friend test my 4 year old $30 (US) Bike Hand branded torque wrench from Amazon. It was as accurate as his ridiculously expensive aviation quality tool down to 2 Nm, even after being used for over 4 years. Maybe you can get one of those in Argentina. Mine has been used on many bikes, carbon and aluminum, with no issues.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
This is the model I have. It looks to be a little smaller (shorter) than the one you referenced. And just for clarification, it was $30 four years ago...

View attachment 1948260
for bike duty I have this same type, just a different brand name. works great, very accurate for a cheap wrench, repeatable torque, decent bits....enough range for most fasteners on bike except crank and BB shells

for other stuff I have a huge electronic one, mostly for lug nuts on aluminum car wheels

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.