Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to narrow down a solid hardtail for under a grand, been to plenty of shops and tried plenty of hardtails under that price range. The only one I couldn't find is the 08' Giant XTC 1, judging by the specs and geo I'm sure it would be a good fit but nothing can substitute for actually riding one especially on trails. Does anyone own one of these or have experience with one. I've had two Specialzed and have contemplated getting another one but I"m not too impressed with their current line up and heard that Giant has been making some nice bikes lately. Any input both negative and positive is welcomed.

Giant XTC 1 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1265/29357/

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Giant has some really sweet bikes and has been doing a great job for a long time, really like those Stroker Ryde's in that price range. :thumbsup:

Your right down the road a few from me, GnarCal E-Bay area. Have you checked out the Ibex Trophy Comp. I know you said you like to test ride before purchase. The Trophy is speced with full X7, very nice fork and BB7 disc brakes. All this for $799 plus $35 shipping. :cornut:

https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Naw, I'm not into bikes that you have to order without testing them and not having the support of my Lbs regardless of how good a bike may seem on paper or spec is something that wouldn't make sense for me. I wouldn't buy a bike through mail order especially from a bike company that doesn't have their stuff together. I see your posts quite often especially when someone is looking for a new bike if you're not affiliated with that bike company you do an awful lot of advertising. I'm sticking with bike that has a reputable foundation.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
djembe975 said:
Naw, I'm not into bikes that you have to order without testing them and not having the support of my Lbs regardless of how good a bike may seem on paper or spec is something that wouldn't make sense for me. I wouldn't buy a bike through mail order especially from a bike company that doesn't have their stuff together. I see your posts quite often especially when someone is looking for a new bike if you're not affiliated with that bike company you do an awful lot of advertising. I'm sticking with bike that has a reputable foundation.
Nope dont work for them & the bike you ride is the best one, brand name does not make a bike. So on that note I'll say Giant again they are awesome. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I do own Haro, Norco, Versus, Motive & Ibex bikes. :devil:

Enjoy life pull the cattle prod out the rear. :D

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Back to Giant and Specialized. I think the Giant XTC-1 is essentially a rebadged Giant Rainier which was discontinued- its nothing like the old XTC. Between Specialized and Giant the two bikes will fit differently. I think Specialized Large is 19.5 and Giant is 20.5 for example so probably one bike will fit better. Giant might offer more bike for the buck and a decent discount however I think a lot of riders would go for the Specialzed bike. The Specialized bike has a lot more Shimano stuff and the Giant is Sram oriented. Thats a big difference for a lot of riders. It really comes down to which bike fits best, which shop you want to do business with and maybe Sram vs Shimano.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.