Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a high quality hardtail and have heard good things about steel frames. I"m looking at getting the 2007 Dragon Comp. Does anyone have experience with this bike? I've had three hardtails, two from Specialized and one from GT but they are aluminum therefore I cannot compare the ride. I'm going to be using it for light to moderate trails and singletrack and wanted to get input, whether it's positive or negative before I make my final decision. Unfortunately I cannot test ride it because the store has to order it so I will have to rely on the specs, geo and owner's experiences.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kramnnim said:
I have an '07 Dragon Team frame...love it, paint chips a bit too easily, though.

Jensen has some great prices on '07 Dragon Comps...
That's too bad the paint chips perhaps the comp has different paint but it's a mountain bike and will be suseptable to chips caused by rocks and debris. Maybe Lizard Skins should make some frame protectors :thumbsup: no biggie though just wait till the frame gets beat up enough and powder coat it. Although paint chipping isn't too good I'm more concerned about how the bike rides and the geometry. I've only had aluminum bikes so I have no idea how steel rides.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
First let me say I do not own a Dragon. But I have owned steel bikes. Steel bikes are not as stiff as aluminum bikes. You can feel this when you pedal. This offers additional shock absorbtion giving steel a nice smooth ride offroad.

As far as geometry, it is very similar to the Dakota I have. It is XC race oriented with a steep head tube angle. So it really shines in climbing and the steering response for tight singeltrack is great. If you are looking at doing a lot of steep downhills it may not be the best bike and you may want to look at something with a shallower head tube angle.

The Dragon is a sweet bike. I think it may be the only mass produced high quality steel bike around at this point.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight Ljsmith, I'm sure it would make a good climber but the loop where I ride has some downhills, none too steep but I'm sure it can handle it as the bike I ride now has a 71 degree head angle just like the Dragon and it does ok but I think the Jamis would feel a little more stable than the GT I ride because it has a longer wheelbase and top tube.

·
Geaux ride!
160 Posts
My Dragon Comp is on the way to replace my ancient Trek 820. Test riding one at the shop was a dream, it took me all of 5 minutes of riding to choose it over a similarly spec'd Dakota Comp. I definitely recommend getting one, even if you have to wait a week for it to arrive :(

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Don't worry about the paint. Yes, the Jamis paint has always been fragile, but guess what...it's a mountain bike.

FWIW I think 09 frames are the best looking Dragons in years! I hope there's a frame only Team like in 08.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get a Dragon Pro or Dragon team if you are going with a steel frame. As I recall they used better steel, at least when I bought my Dragon Pro that was the case. You can't really go wrong with a Jamis but that is just my suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.