Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously how are DJ's bad unless your a xc rider? I Know some dudes who ride em and say nuthin but good stuff about them.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
i got an 04 DJ2

its a great for for what its named for. dirt jumping, and drops not xc or DH at all. it just locks up and sucks super ass but for urban it cant bee beat

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
SamL3227 said:
its a great for for what its named for. dirt jumping, and drops not xc or DH at all. it just locks up and sucks super ass but for urban it cant bee beat
yup....

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
if u tune it right... u could ride xc and DH with it...

just run high pressure for xc and super low for DH

·
Registered
557 Posts
kidvish said:
Seriously how are DJ's bad unless your a xc rider? I Know some dudes who ride em and say nuthin but good stuff about them.
The main thing with the 03 DJs is that people would buy them because they were inexpensive, still fairly light, and had 5in.... But they weren't set up for what they wanted to use them for...

Brian

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
The problem isn't the pressure, it's the fact that the simple ported damper in the DJ lineup doesn't react well when absorbing high speed/high frequency impacts...

But they called them DJ forks for a reason, and it's not because they trailride well!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
binary visions said:
The problem isn't the pressure, it's the fact that the simple ported damper in the DJ lineup doesn't react well when absorbing high speed/high frequency impacts...

But they called them DJ forks for a reason, and it's not because they trailride well!
its funny how they used marketing to justify the technology....or lack thereof...

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
zedro said:
its funny how they used marketing to justify the technology....or lack thereof...
Well, considering the suspension that is usually desired for dirt jumping, the simple ported damper is a very good solution. I agree that the marketing is amusing, but in this particular instance it actually pays off...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
i owned a 2003 dj2 and all i can say is SSV damping is only good for single hits...the fork was way to stubbern to ride on rockgardens/DH/trails, and i only found the fork good for dirt jumping/urban. even in marzocchis aplication guide, the fork is reccomended only for dirtjumping and was built only to do that well, which it did. im sure im repeating people here, but there should be no argument over these forks...they only do what they were designed for...dirtjumping...if you need a better damped marzocchi SC, opt for a z1...i found myself a monster... :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
downhillzeypher said:
Oh god... think ski resort then think braking bumps.... I donno why the hell specialized spec'ed the 04 bh comp with that fork, but they did and now I've gotta live with it 'til prolly next year.
Yeah i know my dj3 sucked so bad at northstar, but won't have to live with that for too long since i'm gonna get a super t soon.

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
it works fine for me... i havent had the packing up issue till i messed around with it a bit... it did pack up a lot when it was brand new though...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
finchy said:
it works fine for me... i havent had the packing up issue till i messed around with it a bit... it did pack up a lot when it was brand new though...
hell, i thought my JrT was fine, but once your spoiled with a real fork, it becomes very obvious how crappy they really are.

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
Not to be hatin'

I have whined enough about my DJ2 and it's not that it's a bad fork, is just that Specialized and Haro both put them on freeride bikes because they help meet a price point. I think that is a mistake.

And on real DH and nasty rock gardens and even natural drops (where the run in isn't smooth) the DJ 2 really sucks. If you don't think so, you just aren't riding hard enough :D. It is really a nice little number: but only for urban and DJ, that is what it is meant for.

I have heard that Marzocchi is trying to work with manufacturers to make sure bikes get spec'd right next year. I have heard of things like not using long travel XC forks as entry level free ride forks, etc. I hope, for others sake, that it carries over to the DJ forks. I just gave up on it and bought a Z-150 and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Marz needs to work on durability a bit, my mid 40's friend i ride with occasionally just broke another set of forks, he snapped the arch on the EXR which was a bit shocking for an older guy who was 100% XC last year, he upgraded his bike and forks to DJ3's figured he'd be set for sure but once again the arch broke on the DJ's the biggest air these forks have seen was problably a 7-8 foot drop
the forks are pretty decent for the money, but if i'm not mistaken even if you get a fancier version of a marz the internals are different but the arch's are pretty much the same ? that is why some HT people opt for a triple clamp in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
AKRida said:
Marz needs to work on durability a bit, my mid 40's friend i ride with occasionally just broke another set of forks, he snapped the arch on the EXR which was a bit shocking for an older guy who was 100% XC last year, he upgraded his bike and forks to DJ3's figured he'd be set for sure but once again the arch broke on the DJ's the biggest air these forks have seen was problably a 7-8 foot drop
the forks are pretty decent for the money, but if i'm not mistaken even if you get a fancier version of a marz the internals are different but the arch's are pretty much the same ? that is why some HT people opt for a triple clamp in my opinion.
gimmee a break. The EXC is an entry-level fork, like an RS Jett. And a 7-8' drop is ALOT for a fork to take. They wont last long with that type of riding. Its like off-road trucks; they dont last very long off-road, you will eventually start breaking stuff in extream use situations.

·
Registered
827 Posts
hey, brian peterson or zedro or anyone else: can you upgrade the DJ internals to HSCV? i just cracked the crown on my '03 dj2 and have a new one on the way (was told it should be here monday! props to zoke for fast turn around). is there a conversion kit like there is for the Jr. T?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Okay, one more to the long line of pontification and personal experiences.

I rode a 2003 DJ2 for about a year. Yes, it did pack up. No, it doesn't compare to the ride of a Z1 FR or other properly dampened fork.

However it can be tuned to a certain extent with oil viscosity and oil level:
- When running it on a huck/urban ht I ran the fork with the recomended 7.5wt oil @ recommended level. To this day I think it is the best urban and drop fork I have ridden. With the 20mm dropouts it was very stiff.
- When I ran it on my all around bike for about 6 months I tried a variety of oils and heights to attempt to make the fork a bit more high speed/trail friendly. In the end I ran 2.5wt oil in one leg and 5wt in the other @ lower than recommended level. I ran the 5wt side damper fully open and the 2.5wt side adjusted for desired rebound speed. The fork retained it's big hit capability, but did work better on the trails. I even took a second in a dh race I used it for.

Bottom line, good drop/big hit fork but not a good trail fork without some tuning (even then it isn't really a great trail fork)

Oh, regarding swapping out to hscv: Not worth the expense unless you have access to the parts on barter or bro deal. I looked into this since the fork is basically a Z1 with crappy damping. Even at wholesale it would have been over $200 to get the z1 parts to do the swap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts