Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like alot of stuff is made by the same few companies out of taiwan.

after a meh experience with TRP rotors (they work fine, just not top-shelf), would like to get something made from premium steel in a high-end foundry.

does this exist outside of Shimano?

Braking?

Galfer?

Magura?

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Don't know anything specific to this but I'll bet you can zero in on the top sellers and the top rated by actual users. I use that method of querie a lot for many purchase considerations.

Jenson USA and other sources sell these type of parts. If you see a rotor rated 5 stars by 8 people and one rated 4.5 by 335 people, then you kind of have to read between the lines but many times you get a feel for what's out there with simple research like that.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
would like to get something made from premium steel in a high-end foundry.
What exactly would meet your criteria here? What brakes are you using? It's not like the rotor manufacturers are giving you the street address of the facility that produced the rotors.

You also have to pay attention to whether a particular rotor is a different thickness, or whether a particular brake caliper requires thicker rotors. Some, but not all, are different. For example, I'm using the Hayes Dominion brakes, and these use a thicker rotor (supposedly better heat management that way), so just tossing a Shimano rotor in there wouldn't exactly get me the results I wanted.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopes with their white-labeled std. galfer pads. Their rotors also done by brakco. Shimano rotors only fit well under shimano calipers and generally use an aluminum center.

Most if not all rotors are 1.8mm besides magura at 2.0 and hope v4 at 3mm i think.

Looks like galfer uses a high-carbon steel. Going that route. Would like more consistency less noise and maybe a bit more friction.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think i answered my own question. the 203 TRP i ordered was horribly out of true and i couldn't make it work. The Galfer was nice quality, but just felt inconsistent - not enough material on the brake surface i think.

BUT these Swiss Stop Catalyst rotors...WOW. nice chamfered edges, super true out of the box, and really nice looking braking surface. really impressed initially.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep. the galfers are super nice. i just like the swissstop rotor design better.

with the galfers it seemed like they were awesome when warmed up, but on the first big pull on a long descent the friction just wasn't there. could have been pads or something else, but that was my experience. galfer red resin pads that come stock with hope brakes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Clarks vented floating rotors - got a pair of 180mm for about US$80 from my LBS, steel with a dimpled aluminum strip (probably supposed to function as a heatsink, I suppose).

1.9 mm thick and was true out of the box, works well with my 4-pot XTR (metal pads).

Please zoom in if you want to see more detail.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I think i answered my own question. the 203 TRP i ordered was horribly out of true and i couldn't make it work. The Galfer was nice quality, but just felt inconsistent - not enough material on the brake surface i think.

BUT these Swiss Stop Catalyst rotors...WOW. nice chamfered edges, super true out of the box, and really nice looking braking surface. really impressed initially.
Their website is really good at saying a lot yet nothing at all. After all this scientificcy testing I can't figure out how they're supposed to be better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.