Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or should I just stay alum?
I had a carbon on my FS 26" but would not notice the benefits otehr than the weight.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you want a post to flex go with Titanium. Of course there will be some flex in any material, but Titanium is probably the best suited for that. FWIW, I have a carbon/aluminum Bonty post, which has some flex to it, which is kind of scary feeling but has held up fine for a few years now.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It depends on the post. My HT 29er takes a 30.9 post, but I'm using a Specialized SWorks Pave road post in 27.2 and a USE shim to make it fit. HUGE difference in that post and a typical 30.9 aluminum post.

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
mudge said:
It depends on the post. My HT 29er takes a 30.9 post, but I'm using a Specialized SWorks Pave road post in 27.2 and a USE shim to make it fit. HUGE difference in that post and a typical 30.9 aluminum post.
Careful with that Pave on trails. I had one on my bike for a while, ignoring the "road use only" sticker, until one day it snapped on a pretty tame trail. There isn't a lot of structural material where the Zertz inserts are. Granted it took a couple years to break but riding miles out without sitting sucked.

·
some know me as mongo
690 Posts
i would say yes on this one. I like to run carbon post on my bikes for both the weight and the vibration reduction.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
MrXC said:
Careful with that Pave on trails. I had one on my bike for a while, ignoring the "road use only" sticker, until one day it snapped on a pretty tame trail. There isn't a lot of structural material where the Zertz inserts are. Granted it took a couple years to break but riding miles out without sitting sucked.
Good point, but hopefully the newer ones are better built than the ones from years past. FWIW, I'm thinking of putting the stock post back on because sometimes it feels like the carbon post flexes too much, almost feels like a seatstay is broken or something.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
One thing I will suggest, whether you decide to go with a carbon post or a ti post, if you're going to buy an expensive post, buy it in 27.2. Why? So that no matter what frame you switch to in the future, you can still use it by just getting the right sized shim. USE makes shims in all sizes so that you can run a 27.2 post in whatever frame you have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mudge said:
One thing I will suggest, whether you decide to go with a carbon post or a ti post, if you're going to buy an expensive post, buy it in 27.2. Why? So that no matter what frame you switch to in the future, you can still use it by just getting the right sized shim. USE makes shims in all sizes that all you to run a 27.2 post in whatever frame you have.
:thumbsup: My Raleigh 29er is already 27.2.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have both carbon and TI...

Raceface Next carbon on my Soma Juice and a Moots layback TI on my Ted Wojcik. The carbon seems to dampen while the TI
Seems to flex more . The Moots is definitely more comfortable to me. Its all so subjective though. There are guys riding alu ht's
with alu posts and they have no comfort issues. I could never do that, every alu ht I have ever ridden feels brutal to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
edouble said:
Raceface Next carbon on my Soma Juice and a Moots layback TI on my Ted Wojcik. The carbon seems to dampen while the TI
Seems to flex more . The Moots is definitely more comfortable to me. Its all so subjective though. There are guys riding alu ht's
with alu posts and they have no comfort issues. I could never do that, every alu ht I have ever ridden feels brutal to me.
I agree. Ti flexs more than absorbs.

Ya there is no way I could go Alum and Alum post anymore. A larger size tire in the back with les air would help.

That's why I went STEEL.

STEEL is REAL

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
sir_crackien said:
i would say yes on this one. I like to run carbon post on my bikes for both the weight and the vibration reduction.
But isn't this point rather moot? Since when things start to get bumpy I just get out of the saddle and let the body and suspension (if applicable) do the work. I would imagine no matter the post you would get rather saddle sore sitting all the time.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
alu does suck but initially I felt like a sucker....

tostudent said:
I agree. Ti flexs more than absorbs.

Ya there is no way I could go Alum and Alum post anymore. A larger size tire in the back with les air would help.

That's why I went STEEL.

STEEL is REAL
For paying so much for a seatpost. However the Moots really does add a measure of comfort I had previously not experienced.
Steel or ti frame, carbon or ti bars and post and high volume (Geax) tires on a 29er platform is my idea of singletrack nirvana.
I also have a Koobi PRS saddle which adds to the buttery smooth ride.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
this interesting topic.
I've ridden both alloy, steel and carbon seatpost and can't tell the differences in term of feel, my beeeehind and spinal cord must be made of kevlar?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
It depends on how much post is out and the angle it's at, the slacker the better basically, my 27.2 post cheap £15 Halfords has loads of noticeable flex the 250mm's out helps though.

My new steel On One 456 frame DOES NOT Flex at all, it's a Rigid as a Alu frame, there is nothing honestly no chance not ever, the tyre gives 30mm+ easy, the frame 0.0000mm's, but it's got a 27.2 post, a slack ish angle on that and loads out, 40mm's more than my Alu frame had ( size 16" rather than 18" same top tube length ) which does slightly aid the comfort while seated.

I want a Ti post, but realistically I'll never spend £100+ on a seat post on what is my hack / training / lockup outside the gym rigid bike.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
If it's not Ti, 27.2mm and with a fair amount of post exposed, you're really not going to get much incremental "comfort" out of any post in and of itself unless you run a Thudbuster or similar. Carbon fiber is mostly about low weight and stiffness, not compliance.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Dunno, my cheap also Halfords Carbon post likely flexed more in another frame, with less post out so it depends on the post which just becomes a mine field.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Soupboy said:
If it's not Ti, 27.2mm and with a fair amount of post exposed, you're really not going to get much incremental "comfort" out of any post in and of itself unless you run a Thudbuster or similar. Carbon fiber is mostly about low weight and stiffness, not compliance.
Well I need to run a 400mm post and I am leggy with a good amount of post exposed.

I disagree about carbon. Yes stiffer but IMO great absorbing quality. I owned a carbon frame and it by far was the best riding vibration and absorbriom wise that I have personally ridden. Hardtail only.

·
3,707 Posts
Mr Pink57 said:
But isn't this point rather moot? Since when things start to get bumpy I just get out of the saddle and let the body and suspension (if applicable) do the work. I would imagine no matter the post you would get rather saddle sore sitting all the time.
Agree this 100%. I'm on a Thomson with no complaints. But I'm out of the saddle quite a bit anyway (SS).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts