Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting either a 69er or 29er for my next bike. My only concern with a 29er is that they seem a bit big and bulky. Does it just take a little getting used to or are they not as nimble as 26ers? How do 29ers compare with things like taking tight turns, riding skinnies, etc?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If in the year 2008 you have to ask, it's perhaps not for you.

;-)

I for long thought I didn't like skinny supermodels. In a weak moment I gave one a go, and it wasn't all bad.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I for long thought I didn't like skinny supermodels. In a weak moment I gave one a go, and it wasn't all bad.
I think this requires some sort of proof :skep:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cloxxki said:
If in the year 2008 you have to ask, it's perhaps not for you.

;-)

Maybe I should have pointed out that I just got into mountain biking 6 months ago. I sucked starting out but can now hold my own with most of the riders I see on the trails. I'd like to demo a 29er on some trails but the LBS's around me only let you test the bikes on the streets. IMO, it's kind of tough getting a good feel for a bike just riding on the street.

·
himom!
684 Posts
bank5 said:
Maybe I should have pointed out that I just got into mountain biking 6 months ago. I sucked starting out but can now hold my own with most of the riders I see on the trails. I'd like to demo a 29er on some trails but the LBS's around me only let you test the bikes on the streets. IMO, it's kind of tough getting a good feel for a bike just riding on the street.
Is there a local bike forum? You might be able to borrow a 29er, if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Non-condescending answer:

I've ridden mountain bikes since 1990. 29ers for the past 2 years.

29ers corner better by far, descend chunky terrain better, climb same chunky terrain better, and hold more speed in most any situation.

They are slightly harder to get up to speed out of corners or on techy climbs when one has to "attack" a section, but not by much.

So overall, yes, by a lot.

·
No Clue Crew
7,670 Posts
Trying a local's bike is the best answer. Why do you want a 29er?

I rode an On*One Inbred 29er solely for two years. I just built a FS 26er recently and am having a blast on it. For me on the rocky, techy trails that we have here, I'm much, much faster on the 26er.

Having both is great.
d

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've only done 2 races on my Superfly and after racing 26s for the last 20 years, I would say 29ers corner MUCH better. Its as if you cant make them slide out. I mean riding up towards the front of a Pro/Elite race we are railing corners so hard that I'd often get front tire slide on my 26, but never on my Superfly. I also climb fast on a 29er. Yes acceleration is a bit slower, but to over come this, dont slow down :laugh:

·
Singletrack Snob
263 Posts
it depends

bank5 said:
I'm thinking about getting either a 69er or 29er for my next bike. My only concern with a 29er is that they seem a bit big and bulky. Does it just take a little getting used to or are they not as nimble as 26ers? How do 29ers compare with things like taking tight turns, riding skinnies, etc?
It depends on which one you get. Some 26ers are bulky too. A lot of it has to do with the weight of the wheels - so look for some lighter wheels.

You do have to learn a little bit how to ride the 29er, it's different, but its good. Sweeping turns are great, downhills are great, anywhere you can carry your momentum is great. Super tight switchbacks are a little more work, but you can get through it.

Personally, I am faster on my 29er because it is more stable over the rough stuff, I don't have to think as much about picking the perfect line.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I picked up my first 29inch bike 3 weeks ago, a GF X-Caliber hardtail. I have been out on it 13 times. It only took 2 rides to get completely used to it and to push it and me to my limits. So don't be afraid of it, if anything you will crash less due to its ability to roll over stuff better. The 29 inch tires smash rocks like a monster truck and you can climb rocky hills like a tractor! There is nothing not to like about it. That says alot comming from a full sus 26er after ten years. I really do not miss a rear shock except full really fast rocky down hills, the back end will jump around. However, this is due only to it being a hard tail and has nothing to do with the wheel size. Bottom line: I will never buy another 26 inch bike again. I am a true convert. Give it a try:D

·
Registered
662 Posts
My Monocog Flight handles much better than the 26er I had before (a Pipedream Serius - but I think that frame has some geometry issues...). Here in Colorado Springs we've got some pretty tight switchbacks and the 29er rolls them much nicer and at higher speeds than the Pipedream ever did. I've never met anyone who didn't like a 29er after getting one.

S

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
When I 69'd my bike, I went from being left for dead by most of my mates on descents to riding behind them wondering why they are riding so slow, especially if rocks and roots are in the mix.

69er is perfect for me, MOST of the time, on a rocky ride recently I did feel the rear wheel struggling to get over stuff the 29" front didn't really care about, but skint so needs must and all that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have been riding my 29er (raleigh xxix, rigid ss) for a few months now. For me, there are a couple tight switchbacks I barely made on my 26 (geared ibis mojo) that I don't always make on the 29er. So, for me, a little less able to make the tight switchbacks. That said, others remarked that the tight switchbacks don't bother them, so it could just be me.

I did feel that I couldn't accelerate as well, especially during a technical climb. Then, I got a much lighter wheelset, and most of that is now gone. And the positive things far outweigh the small negatives. If Ibis makes a 29er Mojo, I'll sell my 26er immediately and buy it. But, I still love the mojo for the rough stuff, the rigid ss 29er for everything else.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
See above, esp Juan and SuperG's posts.

I'll add that as a relative newbie, I think the 29er will help you progress faster in your technical abilities, without exacting as much revenge as a 26er. Especially if you happen to be over 5'10". WAY tougher to go over the bars.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Followed a lad on some steep switchbacks, with dry sandly ground last week, I'd not ridden this bit before, he was on a 26er me a 69er he was struggling on the turns traction wise infact all the 26ers where ( which rules out tyre choice ) and I was braking purely to stop myself from crashing into him, dropping back then catching him up again, even shouted at him, OFF THE BRAKES!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.