Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new light system. Currently running a cygolite dualcross on the bars and want a helmet and possibly new bar light. COnsidering a bunch of different lights and basically trying to decide what will suit my xc needs best.

So, please, tell me how you like your lights!

Thanks

·
can't get here by wishin
182 Posts
very nice

i have an amoeba flood light that i mount to my helmet...i'm too cheap to run two lights... this works for me... the amoeba has proven itself reliable and a good buy as well...

·
Leot Kowns
8 Posts
Its not cheap but, I just bought some exposure lights and I think they are pretty awesome. I bought the joystick which is the one on your helmet and the Maxx-d for the handlebars. There was a package deal with the importers a little while ago for like 530 bucks with shipping. Expensive I know but check them out, the no wires is pretty cool, makes a little more versitle for other outdoor activities. The mounts are pretty trick too.
Here's the link to their website: http://estore.websitepros.com/1939518/-strse-Exposure-Lights/Categories.bok

Check out the light review mtbr did, that was helpful. I just spent the last month researching about every light i could find and ended up with the Exposure lights. I have not had them very long but so far so good. Plus the LED's are lifetime warranty and while your light is under repair you get a loaner light till yours is fixed. I don't know, thought that was nice. Hope this helps!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,544 Posts
I'm happy with my Amoeba. I've been riding off-road at night since about 1988. During the past 20 years I've owned quite a few lights. Prior to getting an Amoeba about a year ago, I owned two NiteRider HIDs. The HID's output was awesome, but they were relatively heavy and I hated having a tether from my helmet to my hydration pack.

The Amoeba doesn't put out quite as much light as the HID but it kicks out enough to make me happy. And it cost close to half what just one of my NiteRider HID systems cost. I love how light the Amoeba is -- the system sits atop my helmet and I can't even tell it's up there. Best of all, I can take my helmet OR my pack off without a cord jerking the other around.

I recommend the Amoeba.

--Sparty

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
I bought a Seoul SSC P4 flood version of the Amoeba, and use it with my Light & Motion ARC HID. The Amoeba is on the bars, and does a great job flooding the 20-30 feet immediately in front of my bike. The Amoeba alone would not be adequate for fast singletrack riding, but in combo with my HID, I have all the light I need.

I hope to replace my HID with another LED for my helmet, and the R2 Amoeba is my likely choice, based on my experience with Scar, and how tiny and light the Amoeba set up is. As Sparticus said, the ability to have your light and battery attached to your helmet without feeling like an anchor is liberating.

Albee, another DOD rider, has 2 Amoebas, replacing a double HID set up. He prefers the quality of the Amoeba light to his HIDs although they may not be quite as bright.

I've had my Amoeba for over a year, and only had one minor problem with the battery in the beginning. Scar sent me a replacement battery immediately, while I sent him my old one back for repair. If Scar says he's not going anywhere, I trust him to give me better customer service than any company out there.

Hey, if you are in Meford, just come up to Eugene and check out some Amoebas for yourself.
There are always at least 3 or 4 Amoebas in action at our Wed night rides.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Folks, thanks for all the input. I've gone with an Amoeba. I will let you know how I like when it comes and I get a few rides on it.

I'd love to come up and ride with the DOD sometime. I'm in Utah right now, though, so it'll have to wait.

Happy New Year!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.