Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1% of road riding I do (to get to the dirt) has been harrowing at times because of some rather aggressive drivers. 8 years sounds good to me!

This from SF Gate:

A former Los Angeles doctor is being sentenced for running down two bicyclists in a road rage assault. Prosecutors want Christopher Thompson ordered to prison for eight years at his sentencing Friday morning. They say he argued with the cyclists July 4, 2008, before slamming on his brakes in front of them. One cyclist who went through the car window suffered broken teeth, cuts and had to have his nose reattached. The court has been deluged with letters from cyclists saying a harsh sentence would send a strong message to hostile motorists

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Brav-O to this great news since this is a landmark case. Roadies should have GoPro videos mounted and running all the time. It is the evidence they need when a situation at Nakatomi Plaza occurs.

fc

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had a guy at work yesterday tell me how he got in an argument with a couple "***** bike riders" after he used the bike lane on his motorcycle to cut past cars at a stop light. He said they rode up to him at the light and told him how illegal it was. He flipped them off and said some stuff about their spandex. I told him if he ever did that to me, I would be t-bagging his forehead in the middle of the intersection.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Maybe someone could expand some details here for me, but if the cyclists were BEHIND the car, wouldn't they be considered at fault because they were following too close?

I could see if the driver cut them off abrubtly, or the driver was on the shoulder or other area not for cars.

I do think the driver should get some punishment for malicious intent here.

·
MTB skillz = NADA
724 Posts
Having lived in several states, I can say that California Drivers and California Roads are terrible. As a new mtb'r, I am not going to ride any major roads to get to the trails. I live less than 3 miles from the Creekside Terrace Trail Head at Fort Ord, but I will drive my bike there and not risk the idiots on the road.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
francois said:
Brav-O to this great news since this is a landmark case. Roadies should have GoPro videos mounted and running all the time. It is the evidence they need when a situation at Nakatomi Plaza occurs.

fc
McClane, is that you?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
OK, that makes sense now on how things happened. It just baffles me why someone would do this intentially. I mean, you have to know you could possilbly kill someone doing this. So, 8 yrs seems reasonable to me for a punishment.

datenschwanz said:
the driver sped past the cyclists on a steep down hill road only to swerve back into the lane immediately slamming on his ABS brakes directly in front of them.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
ziscwg said:
OK, that makes sense now on how things happened. It just baffles me why someone would do this intentially. I mean, you have to know you could possilbly kill someone doing this. So, 8 yrs seems reasonable to me for a punishment.
It happens ALLLLLL the time. Here in the bay area, it is quite rare but we have identified and reported a few vehicles on the peninsula hills that buzz, attack, shoot bbs, harass cyclists.

Around the country, it can be a whole lot worse. My friend from Tenessee, Hollis finally stopped road riding because he got tired of things thrown at him. I said, "like what?" He said, oh garbage, cigarrettes, soda, and the capper.... a full 2-liter bottle of coke.

That's why this case is important. Respecting cyclists rights to the road is a process and we are in its infancy. I think Holland is near maturity.

If you're a cyclist, whether you ride on the road or not, you should fight for cyclists rights on the road. Likewise, whether you ride trail or not, you should fight for cyclists rights on the trail.

fc

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Part of the problem is lawmakers' understanding of cycling.

If you haven't been on a bike in decades, you might think it is a children's activity done on the sidewalk.

If lawmakers understand that cyclists ride the same roads as cars do, then more legal protection is required to prevent this kind of incident.

If someone hits a cyclist intentionally and gets 5 years in the slam (minimum), and you put this in the Driving Test, then drivers will respond.

·
MTB skillz = NADA
724 Posts
beaverbiker said:
Um, I think it's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk. They expect you to ride in the street and don't care if you die.
Yeh, sidewalks are reserved for pedestrians and dogs on 30 ft. leashes that want to crap in my yard, and try to use their extended leash as a trip wire on my car.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Here's something interesting:

If you cross the street on a pedestrian crossing or lane, then you are expected to walk your bike. You are expected to act like a pedestrian. If you cross a street or intersection on a car lane or a bike lane, then you are expected to act like a car and obey all traffic laws.

I just wanted to point that out because it's not that obvious. It actually makes sense but making people aware of that law is difficult.

I learned about this because a cyclist rode across the street on a pedestrian lane and got hit by a car. The officer at the scene said it was the cyclists fault and it held up. The key here is you can't be crossing the street riding your bike at 20mph in a pedestrian lane and expect cars to yield to you.

fc

·
heaven help me
2,889 Posts
the fact that he was a doctor and had the money for a good lawyer, a 5 year sentence is a victory for cyclist's. i feel the judge did the right thing and made a loud statement in support for us that ride the roads. i guess that poswot really showed them a lesson.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
francois said:
Here's something interesting:

If you cross the street on a pedestrian crossing or lane, then you are expected to walk your bike. You are expected to act like a pedestrian. If you cross a street or intersection on a car lane or a bike lane, then you are expected to act like a car and obey all traffic laws.

I just wanted to point that out because it's not that obvious. It actually makes sense but making people aware of that law is difficult.

I learned about this because a cyclist rode across the street on a pedestrian lane and got hit by a car. The officer at the scene said it was the cyclists fault and it held up. The key here is you can't be crossing the street riding your bike at 20mph in a pedestrian lane and expect cars to yield to you.

fc
This is one of the flipsides to being in a bike friendly community - traffic enforcement.

Most places I've lived, riding a bike means you don't own a car, and those places you can ride anywhere, run stop signs and red lights, etc. Don't expect any bike lanes or justice if you get hit, though...

I am curious though, about riding in a crosswalk at 20mph. Did the rider think cars were going to yield? I don't think that even when I'm walking in a crosswalk.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
francois said:
Roadies should have GoPro videos mounted and running all the time. It is the evidence they need when a situation at Nakatomi Plaza occurs.

fc
From A Ski Forum I visit about the same subject:

I ride a bike year round and I never break the rules. I can't afford to blow 'em off. That's because I see cars and trucks break them all the time and put me in danger. They don't stop for lights or stop signs, they don't signal lane switches or turns, they drive down the middle of the road and its not uncommon to see them failing to pay attention. Its been so bad I ride with a helmet cam now.

I've been hit twice in two years and the helmet cam showed I was operating correctly however the truck and automobile drivers were in the wrong. Its been so entertaining to pop the SD card in the cops computer in their rig and watch to see what actually happened. After watching and seeing them behave poorly and lie. boy do they chill out and start begging for mercy.

the best was the driver who flipped out and screamed at me everything in the book, he also described how he was going to lock me in jail for my offense until the sun didn't shine anymore. I kept repeating I had a digital video running and he might rethink what he was doing and saying. I can't believe how mellow he became when we were watching it with the cop.

I personally don't understand why folks can't get along but hey I can only control my behavior. oh well I might have a new story on my commute in the morning.

·
formerly Gobike69
346 Posts
I hope

that this guy makes new friends in the joint. Long hot showers with Bubba and his buddies is what he deserves. I've been hit three times (2 sideswipes, 1 rear ender), had cigarettes, bottles, cans and a milk shake thrown at me, been threatened and had a couple of physical altercations (2 - 0 :thumbsup: ) and I am glad that finally someone is taking this kind of crap seriously. Sorry for the rant. I feel better now

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Glad he is getting the book.

OTOH, the cyclists around here don't exactly make it easy for drivers. Too many times riding the Spectrum or the Noon ride, I get reminded of why cars hate cyclists...

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.