Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Dude, you have to wear gloves. I wear Mechanix that rock. There could be branches you have to push out of your way, your hands will wear blisters on long rides, and if you ever....when you bite it, they will save both sides of your hands.

Unless you are just riding on simple trails for 30 minutes or less, get some.

Is there a reason not to might be the better question.

All is IMHO.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Gloves are a neccesity item. I agree with the above posters if you dont wear them now you will after your first good crash. The walk or ride back to your car after a hard crash can seem like an eternity when you are trying to carry or ride your bike with raw and bleeding hands.

Bottom line 25 or 30 bucks saves allot of pain down the trail.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I would never ride without gloves. I have crashed onto rocks before and torn up the palm of my gloves without a scratch to my hands. I also prefer the feeling of most grips with gloves on, especially when you add sweat to the equation.

They also protect your hands from sunburn in the summer and frostbite in the winter

·
Registered
356 Posts
I wear alpinestar summer motocross gloves, basically because my mate gave them to me so they were free and they are probably exactly the same as mtb gloves, my hands dont sweat in them even on hot day, so they must be very breathable... I think you have to wear gloves when riding, if you come off, they will stop a nasty cut to your hand, particuarly your palm, probably first point of contact with gravel or rocks..

something like this, https://www.madgear.com.au/images/alpinestar-gloves.jpg

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I wear gloves. The padding is comfy on the grips, helps with sweaty hands, and I like the protection during a crash. There's actually some nerves fairly close to the skin on the palms of your hands near your wrists that you would not want damaged. More a roadie problem with roadside glass, but I don't want to take chances of paralyzed hands.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
not wearing gloves is asking for trouble. its amazing how much protection they can provide. torn up palms seriously sucks, ALWAYS wear gloves or you will live to regret it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
gloves come 2nd to helmet as things you must/should wear when you ride. i wear full fingered gloves to prevent bush whack, blisters and a bunch of other crap. i use gloves to work on my bike, trail side or in my garage. not only to keep them clean but it protects you hand from pointy and stuff that could smash your fingers.

i took my friend riding this weekend and he didnt bring gloves. went down on the rocks. lets just say now that he wishes he bought a pair while we were at the LBS picking up his rental.

·
Registered
146 Posts
bwheelin said:
Is there any disadvantage to wearing the gloves with 1/2 the fingers cut off compared to the full glove?
Yes, your sweat can cause your fingers to slip off the brake levers creating a very dangerous situation. I use full finger. ;)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
matt1976 said:
Yes, your sweat can cause your fingers to slip off the brake levers creating a very dangerous situation. I use full finger. ;)
im a big sweaty guy and ride frequently when its 100 degrees. thats never even been remotely an issue what so ever. dont eat fried chicken before riding and you'll be fine :lol:

full fingered gloves protect your hands when you crash. half fingered gloves are much cooler in summer, but only really protect your palms.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
bwheelin said:
I'm definitely buying a pair my next trip the LBS.
:thumbsup: great idea... i was staring at the gloves while he was picking up his rental too. wondered if i should tell him to buy a pair or not. a nice shiny new bicycle caught my eye instead. shouldve insisted on him buying some :madman:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.