Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
For climbing I use a cheap little "gling gling" bell on the handlebar. Some prefer the constant "bear" bell but I find them annoying. For downhills, my SRAM PG-1230 cassette makes enough noise to warn anyone. <ggg>
If your cassette is making ANY noise, you've got a problem.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
While I do use a Timberbell on popular trails, my favorite way of avoiding hikers is to ride trails that are impossible to walk. 😉🤘

·
CEO Product Failure
1,640 Posts
I use Knog OI luxe bells. Hikers really, truly appreciate it. Mtb'ers not so much...they either ignore the bell or cannot hear it because they're wearing head phones / ear pods. So for mtb'ers, yelling at the rider is the only option.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,174 Posts
seems knog solved the issue with first round OI...which was crappy hammer

however they've already lost me. spurcycle still louder when needed and has that sweet 'Nigel Tufnel approved' sussssssssstain

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,955 Posts
I’m still working out the logistics on best place to mount it but so far on the last three trial runs with it duct taped to the handlebars it’s done the job.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Allow me to preface this with a note, I ride fast and go hard most of the time. 90+ percent of my rides are on bench-cut single track in the mountains, in other words, lots of switchbacks and blind corners. I always slow down when I encounter people and often stop or allow them to pass by, but since I am moving along a good clip, I can only imagine it can be somewhat frightening for trail walkers.

So, after years of not wanting to use a bell I put one on each of the bikes. Last year was the pivoting point. With so many more people outside, many of them less experienced in outdoor recreation of any type, some interactions were somewhat less positive. This year with the bell, I ding it, they hear it, all is well. None of the strange faces, evil eyes, or other "attitudes." Plus, when coming into a blind corner or switchback, I ding the bell to alert anyone who might not otherwise hear me coming. Its all good with the bell. I should have done this years ago! Haha! Pride is such a foolish thing!

·
dirtbag
1,527 Posts
I was riding my Warbird the other day and reached for my bell and it wasn't there. Forgot to remount after swapping bars and tape recently. I kinda felt nekkid without a bell. I had to resort to yelling, "get outta my way!"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't encounter too many people on my rides, but I do encounter lots of deer and a black bear, now and then. I use a bell when coming around a corner or before heading down a steep drop, to warn any animal I'm coming. The deer are especially unpredictable and will often wait to the last second, then jump right out in front. Not fun when you are running full out down a tight, twisty drop and find a deer standing in the trail. Have had too many close calls. Ringing the bell usually get's them moving quicker and away from the noise. All my bikes have bells, even my road bikes. Deer are a real hazard, up here.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts