Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I use a timber bell as well....It’s an amazing tool for preventing any trail conflict. I typically ride very fast and always slow for people, but with the bell they are trail side and smiling thanking me before I get there.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Came here to say this. I’ve been thanked dozens of times for my Timberbell. Most hikers are happy to step aside for a moment. I still slow way down.

Before I had a Timberbell I used to scare people unintentionally all the time. They were never in danger, but they didn’t know that.

·
Trail Ninja
6,168 Posts
This is the distance that the Awareness Bell seems to be audible from.

I've had an Electra Ringer, a Timber Bell, and Spurcycle bell. The Awareness Bell is the most effective one. Works like a Timber Bell, but is actually durable. Costs no more than the Spurcycle.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,185 Posts
With a GoPro that could be 100’ or 30’. I’m just going to start hanging my own “closed trail” signs up at the trailhead two hours before I head out. That should take care of any pesky hiker / bell concerns.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
With a GoPro that could be 100’ or 30’. I’m just going to start hanging my own “closed trail” signs up at the trailhead two hours before I head out. That should take care of any pesky hiker / bell concerns.
I have strongly considering making a sign that says “Warning, large grizzly sighted in the area” to put up just before starting my rides.

·
monster member
1,032 Posts
I'm not comfortable enough in my manliness to actually ride a bike with a freakin' bell on it. Can't make me.

I let my annoyed freehub tick loudly to let hikers to get the F out of the way, then when they turn around surprised, I feign innocence like "Hi, thanks! Sorry I scared ya!".

·
38,185 Posts
I'm not comfortable enough in my manliness to actually ride a bike with a freakin' bell on it. Can't make me.

I let my annoyed freehub tick loudly to let hikers to get the F out of the way, then when they turn around surprised, I feign innocence like "Hi, thanks! Sorry I scared ya!".
Very similar to my dilemma for years. I swear I’m going to get a bell though, really!

I’ve got the back spin skill down with loud hubs to keep most encounters at bay. Not completely fool proof, yes “fool” proof in terms of hikers that are clueless. Even with the loudest bell I fear some of these selfish people wouldn’t here me anyway. Then there’s those pesky ear bud types, don’t get me started on those.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Loud hubs & yahoos are enough to warn fellow trail users that I'm rollin

Sent from my ASUS_I003DD using Tapatalk

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,398 Posts
Hadn't thought of this. We have several trails where we park a shuttle vehicle at the bottom and drive to the top. Just enough time where putting the sign up will seriously limit hikers by the time we get to the bottom. "Caution Hardesty trail closed due to tree trimming and treadwork"... I like it.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
No.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
KNOG OI sucks balls, dudes

I had 4, used them 2 months on the mup and trails
replaced them all with Spurcycle.

No one can hear the freaking thing, and the hammer is fiddly useless crap !

a) Knog ain't loud
b) Knog plastic hammer sucks
c) Knog plastic hammer spring will bend on you and become useless
d) Knog ain't loud, see (a) above
e) Knog, the bell no one can hear.
f) Knog looks the business, but fails the interview

PM me an address I will mail my last Knog OI to someone here for realz, just to get rid of the damn thing...that one there on my fatbike...GAHBAGE! (sweet looks though can't deny that)

View attachment 1923742
Yeah, those are not durable at all.
The “ringer” springs are what gave out on mine—had 2of them—and no way to really bend them back in shape. Incredibly lame design, IMO.
What I don’t understand is why you would want to foist such a miserable pos on any fellow mtb’r? o_O:p J/k
I use the Spur, now.
I have noticed that other trail users seem to appreciate the bell over a yell. Less startling to them, I think.

·
Registered
341 Posts
post up pics of it installed and also your own review

for me...OI not my bell...

[I wish it was better, 'cuz looks frickn great]
Trial dings were a success. I'm planning on mounting it tonight and giving it a proper trail run with her tomorrow.

Thanks again.

·
38,185 Posts
I have yet to get a bell but plan on it soon with the trails getting more and more crowded every year. I was on a ride yesterday and was spinning a long gradual grade. Preoccupied day dreaming when all of a sudden a guy riding behind me blurts out loudly an inaudible something. Startled the sh*t out of me. Normally I know when someone is behind me. This guy snuck up like a stealth bomber. That experience alone gave me an insight into what some hikers must experience from some bikers. I pulled over and let him pass and apologized.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
13 Posts
I have bells on all my bikes. The trails I ride often have hikers, and I get an actual thank-you at least a couple of times a day for ringing the bell on approach. On the win-win side of things, it usually means they're out of the way by the time I get there.

·
Registered
254 Posts

A couple friends ripped me for my Knog oi bell as not being very manly. I proceeded to beat them up the mountain by 5 mins and rang it a few times when they finally caught up.

·
Banned
227 Posts
A couple friends ripped me for my Knog oi bell as not being very manly. I proceeded to beat them up the mountain by 5 mins and rang it a few times when they finally caught up.
It wasn’t the bell, it’s those skinny tires and Lycra shorts you wear.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts