Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 154 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,225 Posts
That’s the one I would use as well. And have thought about using a bell for 20 years and have known of that bell for 4 years.

I really need a bell. Scheels is but 15 minutes from me as well. Sigh

I need a bell.

By the way: Anybody that uses a cow bell [one that rings constantly] get off the trail. You’re ruining my tranquil ride as well as every other trail user within ear shot.

Get a bell that you can manually turn on and off as you see fit please.
if'n you want my Knog OI, you got it.
cost to you: zero bucks and whatever effort to open the box I send it in.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Don't have a bell, an never will have a bell.

1) Useless for the loud-music-earbud zombies who wouldn't hear anything short of a cruise ship horn.
2) Annoying to me.
3) If a corner is 'blind', then bell or not, im slowing down, so a bell changes nothing.
4) I-9 Hydra's for the rest.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Legally required here. Seriously.

The aliexpress knockoff the Knog Ai has a spring that actually lasts more than 50 rings. The 31.8 knockoff on my road bike is freaking loud, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in over a year.

·
Registered
342 Posts
PM me an address I will mail my last Knog OI to someone here for realz, just to get rid of the damn thing...that one there on my fatbike...GAHBAGE! (sweet looks though can't deny that)
Still available? "Ain't loud" sounds like just the thing for something for my little girl to fiddle with while we're shredding the gnar. And most traditional bells are a little hard for her to work with her little hands.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,202 Posts
KNOG OI sucks balls, dudes

I had 4, used them 2 months on the mup and trails
replaced them all with Spurcycle.

No one can hear the freaking thing, and the hammer is fiddly useless crap !

a) Knog ain't loud
b) Knog plastic hammer sucks
c) Knog plastic hammer spring will bend on you and become useless
d) Knog ain't loud, see (a) above
e) Knog, the bell no one can hear.
f) Knog looks the business, but fails the interview

PM me an address I will mail my last Knog OI to someone here for realz, just to get rid of the damn thing...that one there on my fatbike...GAHBAGE! (sweet looks though can't deny that)

View attachment 1923742
Tell us how you feel about it.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,202 Posts
Anybody using a cow bell [a bell that rings constantly] instead of manually ringing it when needed. Let me know what trails you ride and times so can avoid going at those times.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would rely on my hubs clicking to make other riders and hikers aware I was there but my home trails have a lot more hikers and they aren't directional so it's not enough. I have a similar bell to the one in OP, one flick and it's a loud ping. Mounted between my left brake switch and dropper trigger, looks slick and works very well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With all of the pand3mic induced families on our local trails, a bell is better than ever. People appreciate the heads up, especially if they haven't heard it before. Most also think it's courteous.

NJ requires an audible warning device on a bicycle, which has never been enforced AFAIK. I use a Spurcycle (nicer tone sustained)or an Incredibell (easier to ring.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ive been thinking of getting a bell. I usually just say"passing on your left" but more often than not people think I'm riding a tractor trailer and nearly dive off the path - I feel bad lol. Maybe its because I'm a rather large fella on a fat bike?🤔 (you would think they'd hear the tires!)🤣

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,684 Posts
Anybody using a cow bell [a bell that rings constantly] instead of manually ringing it when needed. Let me know what trails you ride and times so can avoid going at those times.
I flip my timber on when needed ;) It's most always off.

it's better than the people blasting their tunes out of Bluetooth speakers.

·
Registered
16,017 Posts
Have you guys ever had your Timber Bell turn on automatically? I've been dropping some rough descents that shake the on/off switch to the on position then suddenly the bell goes nuts. It's kind of funny.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,684 Posts
Have you guys ever had your Timber Bell turn on automatically? I've been dropping some rough descents that shake the on/off switch to the on position then suddenly the bell goes nuts. It's kind of funny.
Nope, I still have a hard time flipping the lever manually to be honest.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes.
Mines one of those jingly bear dinner bells I bought in Whistler with the magnetic muffling condom.
And I appreciate it when I'm doing trail work. I hear bells well before anything else.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I use a timber bell as well. It’s an amazing tool for preventing any trail conflict. People are extremely happy to hear the ice cream man coming.

Having i9s help too.

I typically ride very fast and always slow for people, but with the bell they are trail side and smiling thanking me before I get there.

A classic bell and an greeting such as pardon me, on your right doesn’t always work and many people despise having a spur bell dinged at them. They will often yell at you to “get a bell “ or something if they get surprised. “

I always talk to their dog and tell anyone I pass there is no need to catch their dog or move, thank them and wish them a good walk, no matter how fast I am going that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
beater
5,942 Posts
The number of hikers who thanked us for having bells last year was eye-opening. I turn the Timberbell off for climbs, but generally leave it on for descents or flatter trails in close to town. Hikers can hear me 2-3 switchbacks above them, or a chicane or 2 behind. Sooner than I might see them, in other words.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,225 Posts
post up pics of it installed and also your own review

for me...OI not my bell...

[I wish it was better, 'cuz looks frickn great]

81 - 100 of 154 Posts