Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
I have a bell on every bike. I have a Knog on a roadbike- it sucks and is too weak to be heard half the time. Most have Spurcycle bells which are the best and loudest. One MTB has the Timber bell which is okay- mid level sound. I don't like the fact that I can't ring it when on smoother trails going uphill or flat since it needs a bit of rough terrain to ring. It is nice on the DH though. Overall, the Spurcycle is my favorite.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,184 Posts
<snip>Does the sustain even matter to traffic ahead of you?

<snip>
yes it sure does. sometimes people don't really believe they heard a bell, or look off to the side wondering if they heard a ding or not. the sustain will re-confirm yes you heard a bell and it's behind you and coming.

9 of 10 times one ding is good. 1 of 10 times I need to hit it thrice or so

I see the reactions and yes the sustain adds to the overall positive effect of making people aware of what is coming and what direction, and apparent speed too...absolutely

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
How about an electric horn? There's too many people wearing headphones taking up the whole trail that can't hear a bell. Any recommendations here?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,184 Posts
How about an electric horn? There's too many people wearing headphones taking up the whole trail that can't hear a bell. Any recommendations here?
a loud yelp or bark (I yell HUP, at the ground, from a loong ways off [100 feet or more] if I am gonna do it, does the trick and you don't seem to be yelling at anyone...hup announces 'i'm here' effectively)

or the little bell.

anything more than a tiny bell or my lungs is useless to drag around imho.

since covid and the numbnuts who don't use masks...I've been doing tons of road on the MTB to get to the 'rare trails' where there is near zero chance to run into anyone else...so don't even need to use the bell much at all nowadays.

·
Registered
15,990 Posts
I got a small cowbell as part of some race schwag that makes an audible-but-not-irritating sound. I wouldn't mind that sound if it weren't for the fact that I'd have a cowbell flapping around on my bike.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nope. I just yell out "bike" Does the trick, costs and weighs nothing. If it's broken, I'm not riding anyway

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Do you use a bell when riding?

No.

All of our local trails are loop/stacked loop, and they typically have walkers/hikers going the opposite direction of riders. So locally, bells aren't really needed. On other trails, my Hope hubs seem to make enough noise in most cases. Beyond that, my voice works just fine. I've never had, or wanted, a bell. I've spent too much over the years to unclutter my cockpit. :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Installed vs Used

Well one thing is for sure, to be legal a bell needs to be installed. But I could use the cable of the brake/derailleur to make sound or whistle but all the police know is BELL, and other places HELMET, and SIDEWALK and traffic code, not 751 watts vs 3kw or pedal assist

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
My Spur Cycle bell showed up this week. I have it mounted. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Timber bell is awesome. Turn it on for the DH leave it off when climbing. If I come up on hikers when climbing I just turn it back on.

·
livin' the dream......
1,925 Posts
I have a Timber Bell that I use as needed. I like the loud hub to send a message too + here in AZ, people think its a rattlesnake behind them, that gets them to move too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just like most places, my local trails are commonly populated with hikers. Even when I announce myself "COMING UP BEHIND YOU!!" it seems that they are not aware of me. The other day on a very wide open section of trail there was a group of 8 people hiking and walking a couple of dogs off leash, I announced myself and nobody could hear me over their banter. I basically had to come to a crawl and get right up behind them and yell. They were all so surprised.

I was going to order the timber bell, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I found the Spur cycle Bell. Spurcycle Original Bell

This looks like a quality product, and it seems (hopefully) rather noticeable on an otherwise quiet trail. I should have it in a few days and look forward to trying it out.

Who else here uses a bell when they ride? What has your experience been?
I don't have one, but if I did I would get the "Knog Oi" Bell in the brass color.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,989 Posts
I don't have one, but if I did I would get the "Knog Oi" Bell in the brass color.
That’s the one I would use as well. And have thought about using a bell for 20 years and have known of that bell for 4 years.

I really need a bell. Scheels is but 15 minutes from me as well. Sigh

I need a bell.

·
Registered
77 Posts
20 years ago I found it almost dangerous to move my thumb and think about dinging a bell hauling ass with a death grip on multi use trails with blind corners. A couple years ago I bought one of those magnetic bells but it wasnt very loud. So no, currently I use no bell. Just yell "strava" - jk thats a played out joke and I dont use strava :)

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,184 Posts
KNOG OI sucks balls, dudes

I had 4, used them 2 months on the mup and trails
replaced them all with Spurcycle.

No one can hear the freaking thing, and the hammer is fiddly useless crap !

a) Knog ain't loud
b) Knog plastic hammer sucks
c) Knog plastic hammer spring will bend on you and become useless
d) Knog ain't loud, see (a) above
e) Knog, the bell no one can hear.
f) Knog looks the business, but fails the interview

PM me an address I will mail my last Knog OI to someone here for realz, just to get rid of the damn thing...that one there on my fatbike...GAHBAGE! (sweet looks though can't deny that)

·
Trail Ninja
6,167 Posts
I use an awareness bell. I've received comments that people could hear me long before they even see me. 15 bike-length range, I estimate... compared to an annoying Profile Hub that has maybe a 3 bike-length range max.

Even though people hear me from far away, and yield to me politely, I still slow down and make it appear that I am a "gentle" type with care.

I picked the oval one, since it's less grating/attention-grabbing. More like a chime than a cow bell.

61 - 80 of 154 Posts