Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I still have a bell on my 26" steel hardtail that I use mostly on the rare times I ride a rail trail. About all it does is get people to line up for the ice cream truck.

"Rider back" works much, much, better. "Rider up" for blind corners. A loud "hoot" when riding downhill and the knowledge that anyone I meet who is climbing has the right of way and its my responsibility to give way to them. All that works much better then a bell.

A big "thank you" if hikers give way but the willingness to know everyone has the right of way over a bike.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
"Rider back" works much, much, better. "Rider up" for blind corners. A loud "hoot" when riding downhill and the knowledge that anyone I meet who is climbing has the right of way and its my responsibility to give way to them. All that works much better then a bell.
Yelling is best.
Voice actuation is so easy.
Like, "Honey, bring me a beer".
I haven't tried a bell for that yet.....hmmmm.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,205 Posts
^ but the sustain of spurcycle !

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow... we need customer titanium lithium super bells now? My bike came with one in the box. Looks like it cost about $2 to make. I put it on. Can confirm it "dings" 10/10

·
since 4/10/2009
31,463 Posts
I like the look of the Knog Oi, but prefer the sound of the spur cycle bell
I have a couple of the Knog Oi bells. I like how they have the channels for housing on drop bar bikes. But the sound is wimpy.

I have a Spurcycle bell and I love the sound. I don't often need it on mtb trails because ratcheting my I9 hubs works well most of the time, and then I actually talk to hikers I pass. It's uncommon enough that it's no trouble. The bell gets a workout on greenway paths, though.

I've encountered a couple of people with Timber bells, because some of the trails I ride have a good number of bear encounters. I've had quite a few, but they've always been distant enough that I haven't had any trouble. I haven't felt like the Timber bell would give me enough extra signaling compared to what I already have to warrant the purchase.

·
Practice Gratitude
148 Posts
"Homage" Rock Bros.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/a-tale-of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

"A tale of two bells: Spurcycle vs. the counterfeiters"

"Spurcycle launched its bicycle bell in August 2013 as so many companies do these days: via the crowdfunding web site, Kickstarter. When the campaign ended, the company had 8000 orders on hand — 16 times what was originally forecast — all thanks to the bell’s distinctive design, small-batch artisan construction, and one hell of a loud ding. Unfortunately, someone in China decided they wanted a piece of the action, too, and there’s nothing Spurcycle can do about it."

~ James Huang

Spurcycle vs Rock Bros pics:

~ Pictures by James Huang

Best regards,
Jason

Attachments

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,205 Posts
right and the rockbros and other clones sound like crap

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I know the spur cycle bell is kind of pricey, but I always prefer to support USA made products over cheap imports. It may be $50, but it’s only $50.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know the spur cycle bell is kind of pricey, but I always prefer to support USA made products over cheap imports. It may be $50, but it’s only $50.
I take a similar attitude, but as an Aussie. "Support Local where possible" is a mindset that I consider... even if a product is made in China or wherever, there's virtue in choosing local innovators. When I bought my floor pump, I went for something a little more expensive (Jetblack Big Fella), because it's an Australian business - and the upside was also that there are replacement parts available.

Same with bells. I'm looking to upgrade from my crappy 'stock' bell, to the Knog Oi, because they are an Australian business, and... well.. I like the low profile look, even though I know it's not he loudest on the market.

Purchasing decisions might also be considered when it comes to counterfeiting. That Spurcycle clone for example.... they have obviously put a lot of R & D, engineering and marketing dollars into a premium product, only to have the design stolen by some uncrupulous profiteer who's done NOTHING in the development of the product. Price be damned, screw these dishonest bastards and their unethical business practices. The youtube channel 'Seth's Bikes Hacks' has a video about the Fooker pedals, a knock off of the super-popular Chesters. It's such a shameless rip off that they even maintained the 'RF' logo. His stance was 'why support a dodgy maufacturer who is profiting off the designs of a legitimate business who actively supports the cycling industry'.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bells are lame and obsolete.

Ever since this video was first posted I always think of it now when manually ringing my el cheap-o thumb bell. The thumb bell "ding" just seems so... lame by comparison. I can't get this solution out of my head and I think I need some of that in my life. I have a feeling my wife won't be as amused by it when she discovers I've "upgraded" her bike as well. Her stern words of disapproval will be quickly drowned out by the harmony these two will make in beautiful stereo on the trails and (as an added bonus) around town.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ever since this video was first posted I always think of it now when manually ringing my el cheap-o thumb bell. The thumb bell "ding" just seems so... lame by comparison. I
I'm reconsidering my purchase of a 'honk honk' style clown horn I was going to buy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Knog Oi bell
I’ve had two of those, broke one in a crash and the other while loading bike into truck.
The part that rings the bell is a little piece of plastic attached to a tiny coil spring. If you catch that ringer on anything, it can easily twist the spring so the ringer is out of alignment with the bell. I tried everything I could to bend it back and it is just so small and fragile, nothing worked.
The Spur is a much more robust design,
and is louder too.
I do see that Knog makes a heavier duty version their design.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I like the chicken idea. I think a lot of people would get a laugh, or fright out of it. If I was out hiking I would probably wonder what the hell was coming toward me!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/a-tale-of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

"A tale of two bells: Spurcycle vs. the counterfeiters"

"Spurcycle launched its bicycle bell in August 2013 as so many companies do these days: via the crowdfunding web site, Kickstarter. When the campaign ended, the company had 8000 orders on hand — 16 times what was originally forecast — all thanks to the bell’s distinctive design, small-batch artisan construction, and one hell of a loud ding. Unfortunately, someone in China decided they wanted a piece of the action, too, and there’s nothing Spurcycle can do about it."

~ James Huang

Spurcycle vs Rock Bros pics:

~ Pictures by James Huang

Best regards,
Jason
Technically, the Rockbros bell isn't a counterfeit. Counterfeits have the same branding as the original and thus is very hard to distinguish between them. It's a copy, knock-off, or whatever word you find suitable, but not a counterfeit.

No patent on the overpriced bell, so BFD as far as I'm concerned.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,205 Posts
well they look similar but one is absolute dog s**t and the other has a nice ring with loooooooong sustain. one does the job you want, the other is just cheese

·
Trail Ninja
6,168 Posts
Looks similar to me. From the article and reviews, it says the striker lever material is the weak point on the copy. Does the sustain even matter to traffic ahead of you?

Reminds me of my experience with the Oi. The MTB version is not loud enough to be used even on the road. The 31.8 version is a different story. I guess the $50 deluxe version of the Oi also might be louder, upgrading the flimsy striker to one that was stiffer.

If I'm getting another bell, it's going to be that cowbell sounding D-shaped Awareness Bell. Main issue with the Electra bell is that it doesn't come high enough from the bar to clear other clamps. Done with these cheap options. One of my old ride buddies has a battery powered bell that I believe he mounts on the back of his bike that he made himself, that rings in a simple jingle pattern.

41 - 60 of 154 Posts