Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Just got a Timber Bell for a trip to Idaho (bear country) and I like the gentle tinkling it makes on smoother climbs. It is a little loud in full rattle while descending, but I get used to it.

I’ve been using it more now that I’m back home for hikers and mountain lions. Although I’m not sure if it scares deer and elk off the trail or just startles them to bolt onto the trails. Just about nailed a poor little fawn the other day while using it on a trail I ride often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Single Track Mind
768 Posts
I always use a bell and like the Spur. It doesn't take up much room and has a clear sound that carries pretty well. Most people thank me for using a bell and give ample room to pass. That still doesn't mean that the cattle will always hear you above their banter, but you can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I just yell "corner" at blind spots. People weren't hearing the bell and voices carry really well. I tried Timber Bell and hikers did like it, but it was too obnoxious after a while.

I do love it when I pull over for someone and then they ring their bells!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Another vote for the Timber Bell, picked it up after a run in with a mama bear last year.
It can get annoying but I like that it can easily be switched off.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,205 Posts
Knog Oi bell
weak bell. I had four of these for 6 months, and switched to spurcycle. Night and day.

the Knog bell is art though...but w-e-a-k and doesn't get attention until you are right up on someones arse...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I prefer to slowly creep up on people and surprise them with my presence to make a point about how unaware they are of their surroundings. Plus, I paid extra for my hubs so I don't need a bell.
that's how I roll too.

our trails aren't usually busy at all ... so it's entertaining.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
I don't use a bell but Hope hubs have always worked. People can hear it pretty far off

·
Trail Ninja
6,168 Posts
I have a bell but it's common that no one seems to hear/react to it unless I'm like 2 bike lengths away. On semi-rare occasion, people do hear it and thank me for using a bell, but they looked like experienced hikers. The casual hikers are like, "oh!!! <shocked expression from spotting me being so close behind> it sounded like someone dropped some change behind me!"

I had the Spurcycle, but switched to an Electra because of its distinct brrringgg-brrriiiing sound.

·
Registered
616 Posts
we really need more dedicated mtb parks / trails in this country ....**** hikers =p

I should probably get a bell..... generally I let one of my buddies with a bell on their bike lead the way.... my hubs are loud as hell.... people seem to hear my bike coming anyways... I generally just loudly announce my presence as needed... if the hubs don't do the job.

last ride my buddy had his bell going and some girl on a pretty steep single track jogging with ear buds didn't hear the bell, even as his bike was nearly upon her.... we ended up startling the heck out of her.... who f*ck jogs on mix use single track with ear buds... gah....

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,123 Posts
we really need more dedicated mtb parks / trails in this country ....**** hikers =p

I should probably get a bell..... generally I let one of my buddies with a bell on their bike lead the way.... my hubs are loud as hell.... people seem to hear my bike coming anyways... I generally just loudly announce my presence as needed... if the hubs don't do the job.

last ride my buddy had his bell going and some girl on a pretty steep single track jogging with ear buds didn't hear the bell, even as his bike was nearly upon her.... we ended up startling the heck out of her.... who f*ck jogs on mix use single track with ear buds... gah....
Her and quite a few others like her.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another vote for the Timber Bell, picked it up after a run in with a mama bear last year.
It can get annoying but I like that it can easily be switched off.
Another vote for timberbell. Mainly turn it on for descending, hikers basically hear me coming and step off the trail. Have gotten so used to it that it doesn’t feel right when descending and I for got to turn it on...

·
Trail Ninja
6,168 Posts
I remember using the Timberbell. My ride buddies thought it just made a racket if I flicked it on for descents. It certainly worked though! They let me pass and gave me some room.

I remember ending up intruding into some family's epic descent (on a trail called SART) with an old guy acting as rear guard. He let me by and I caught up to some pretty fast and skilled boys pretty far ahead of him. The kids were like dumbfounded that there would be anyone coming up behind them, and just stopped in their tracks staring when I was a few bike lengths away. Pretty sure they could hear me, but I think they were trying to outrun me. xD

It broke on me. The ringer fell out. I considered getting a higher quality replacement: https://awarenessbell.com/shop/

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have both a Coghlans bell and a Timberbell. The Timberbell is definitely louder. I find it too obnoxious to ride with it in open mode for an entire ride actually. The Coghlans is easier to tolerate and is loud enough to alert other riders who I'm approaching but I don't know if it's loud enough for animals to hear. Maybe it is but I don't have any expertise in that subject. People have said that my Coghlans bell made them think that someone's dog was approaching.
My Coghlans has been relegated to the back of the workbench since I got a Timberbell. The Coghlans moved around too much and it was never 100% "off" due to it just being a magnet. The Timberbell clamps on, doesn't move and when it's silent, it's silent. I used an Incredibell for years but with the Timber, just flip it on and ride.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's the law in my state to have a bike bell. I have been using it 'sometimes' since getting my bike, but often I think I can just find a line and zoom past people. In saying that, I've scared the crap out of two people in the past week screaming up from behind them, so I should give a little warning ding more often.

21 - 40 of 154 Posts