Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like most places, my local trails are commonly populated with hikers. Even when I announce myself "COMING UP BEHIND YOU!!" it seems that they are not aware of me. The other day on a very wide open section of trail there was a group of 8 people hiking and walking a couple of dogs off leash, I announced myself and nobody could hear me over their banter. I basically had to come to a crawl and get right up behind them and yell. They were all so surprised.

I was going to order the timber bell, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I found the Spur cycle Bell. https://www.spurcycle.com/products/better-bicycle-bell

This looks like a quality product, and it seems (hopefully) rather noticeable on an otherwise quiet trail. I should have it in a few days and look forward to trying it out.

Who else here uses a bell when they ride? What has your experience been?

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
yup. lots of blind corners where I ride and hikers. it's more crowded due to the pandemic, too. I can't complain because the outdoors are for everyone to share. I have a Cateye bell that can be mounted just about anywhere, sounds great, and is easy to actuate. I have it mounted under my handlebar where my right shifter would be if I had one. I can easily flick it with my thumb and use it constantly.

I have a Timberbell and I find it to be a bit annoying to turn off and on all the time. It will drive you nuts if you leave it activated all the time, and you probably have to take a hand off a grip to deactivate it.

The bell does NOT work with fools who are hiking and running with headphones in turned up full blast. you have to SHOUT at those people to get their attention. I've had to follow people at close range for over 30 seconds to get their attention when this happens. I make a game out of it: how long can I ride just behind a pedestrian's heels, ringing my bell the whole time, before they become aware of me? these folks get really defensive when you politely ask them to turn their music down so they can hear you.

·
Kick Start My Heart
584 Posts
Around these parts (Colorado Springs ~ Southern Colorado) we use the Timber bell and it has been great! I am speaking from the collected comments from the local MTB Facebook group. Yeah, you have to hit a lever once in a while for on/off, but man!, the thing is like magic around here. Most of the time hikers are on the side of the trail when you get there, and actually Thank You for having a bell. You can't hate that.
Maybe it's just the local vibe, but the Timber Bell is the bomb around here.
It does nothing for Asshats with headphones or just generally A-Holes, but that's a different issue in a different thread.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk on the deck in my underpants, because I am off this week.

·
Registered
15,987 Posts
I once rode up behind three old ladies who were hiking and all talking at the same time, oblivious to the fact that I was right behind them. Since I had time that day, I decided to see how long it would take for them to clue in. I pedaled behind them for probably half a mile before one of them noticed there was someone immediately behind them.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
I prefer to slowly creep up on people and surprise them with my presence to make a point about how unaware they are of their surroundings. Plus, I paid extra for my hubs so I don't need a bell.

·
beater
5,924 Posts
Timely question. I’ve started to think about getting us a pair, and started looking last night. My GF has I9 hubs so I usually let her lead when we ride popular trails, but when I’m riding solo on those trails, it might be a good idea.

The Timberbell sounds like the best option for riding in grizzly country.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the idea of the timber bell. Primarily the fact that you don't have to actively ring it. It just jingles on its own. I didn't order one because I didn't want to have to wait very long for a bell.

Maybe in the future I will try to get my hands on the timber bell.

I also had never considered the fact that some aftermarket hubs can also work in your favor to let people know you are coming. One more upside to getting a new set of wheels...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use a Timberbell. I've lost track of how many times hikers have thanked me, and as someone else mentioned, they are usually off to the side of the trail by the time I arrive (I still don't blow past them though).

Also, I most often ride where there are lots of bears (grizzlies included). This gives them a chance of hearing me in advance. I've had numerous close encounters with bears, but not since installing the Timberbell.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,004 Posts
Yes... Spurcycle bells rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,987 Posts
I have both a Coghlans bell and a Timberbell. The Timberbell is definitely louder. I find it too obnoxious to ride with it in open mode for an entire ride actually. The Coghlans is easier to tolerate and is loud enough to alert other riders who I'm approaching but I don't know if it's loud enough for animals to hear. Maybe it is but I don't have any expertise in that subject. People have said that my Coghlans bell made them think that someone's dog was approaching.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I used a small cowbell for years but it drove my friends nuts. Now, I have a timberbell and love it. I use it mostly when there are people on the trails and people really appreciate it. I also use it in the wild because I've had pants sliming encounters with a bear and a lion I surprised on the trail. It is a bit noisy, but I'm used to it now. It beats a beatdown by a big black bear!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,174 Posts
I have a spurcycle bell on each bike i commonly ride, so...4 bells right now.

yes I use it, it's friggin LOUD and I can clang it far from people and most will know I am coming and have tons of time to decide how they will cut me off later LOL

but yes it is a game changer. I used to bark 'HUP' from a long distance...no longer need to

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a spurcycle bell on each bike i commonly ride, so...4 bells right now.

yes I use it, it's friggin LOUD and I can clang it far from people and most will know I am coming and have tons of time to decide how they will cut me off later LOL

but yes it is a game changer. I used to bark 'HUP' from a long distance...no longer need to
Awesome to hear. I am genuinely eager to ride with this and see how people react to it. I'm also considering ways to have it ring as I am riding. Possibly soldering a small ball bearing to a spring so it can bounce off of the bell?

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Lately I've taken to clearing my throat, coughing and hacking loudly. Seems to work pretty well.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts