Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have we topped of at 200, 215 mil downhill bikes or will we see longer travel bikes in the future

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dirtbikes have 300 to 310mm of travel and go way faster than mountain bikes. They use larger diameter forks/ internals and shock shafts to allow for more rigidity. Most OEMs are using 46 to 48mm forks. I think mountain bikes have found larger diameter forks and shocks have more advantages than a narrow long travel suspension component. I could see larger diameter suspension continue working down into the trail category. They are currently spec’ing 35 and 36 mm forks on trail bikes that were 32 to 34 a few years ago. I don’t know anything about downhill other than rental downhill bikes are awesome and you can beat them with no consequences (with insurance). But the enduros went up in size with Rockshox and Fox’s new offering so I would only imagine DH did the same.

it’s just crazy how good mid travel trail bikes are now with current suspension. I love my 130/120 FS bike with mid level Rockshox suspension on it. We’re in a good era!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,720 Posts
Downhill mountain bikes went to some pretty crazy amounts of travel back in the day, around 12" for both front and rear. It was not good or fast.

It went from 4, to 6 to 8 and then 9, 10, 11 and there were a couple "12 inchers" out there, as well as forks that had the same amount of travel. Then it tapered back to 8" or so.

Approximately 8" is the most you'll get out of a right-side-up DC fork, which is far stiffer torsionally than an inverted. Although inverted can go more, the lack of torsional stiffness causes the front end to be vague and wander, end result is it's not faster.

Really, the frontier is better damping. Most of our shock and fork damping is pretty shitty compared to automotive/off-road applications.

Reactions: Suns_PSD

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nah. Trend has been just making same travel more capable, lighter and faster. I trail rode around on an 8” travel Foes Fly with a dual crown almost 20 years ago. Now my V3 Wreckoning has slightly less travel, but more capable and way more manageable especially on climbs. And about 4lbs lighter.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,720 Posts
If they think people will buy it...they'll make it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 200mm Fox 40 single crown fork. o_O :rolleyes:😁
Well yeah, but that’s not longer travel because a 200mm 40 already exists. Its just dumb. And yes, 42.99mm stanchions are coming.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Well yeah, but that’s not longer travel because a 200mm 40 already exists. Its just dumb. And yes, 42.99mm stanchions are coming.
That's why I said single crown. Lighter than a DC...for the 'duro bikes that "climb like XC bikes".

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
5mm fork increments FTW!!

Really dial that steed in

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
80 Posts
E bikes are motorcycles pretending to be bicycles. Like motorcycles, they are not limited by being restricted to human power. That means they can be heavier, like a motorcycle, and still go fast. Since they can be heavier, they will become more like motorcycles, including the long travel that the motocross world has settled on. But real bicycles (human powered ones) will still need to balance weight with travel, so real bikes will have less travel than electric motor bikes in the future. Mark my words!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
E bikes are motorcycles pretending to be bicycles. Like motorcycles, they are not limited by being restricted to human power. That means they can be heavier, like a motorcycle, and still go fast. Since they can be heavier, they will become more like motorcycles, including the long travel that the motocross world has settled on. But real bicycles (human powered ones) will still need to balance weight with travel, so real bikes will have less travel than electric motor bikes in the future. Mark my words!
I wish there were 'unlike' buttons to pick for stupid comments like these.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,157 Posts
I think we need less balanced bikes. Something like 250mm front, 12mm rear ought to do it. Couple it with the mullet wheels for added performance.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I'm sure you will see longer travel bikes. I already see people riding 150/160mm bikes on trails I ride with 100mm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts