Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an external bb Bontrager SS crankset from a Lemond Poprad (120mm rear spacing) that I was going to use on my Surly Crosscheck I just got. The crosscheck will be using a 135mm mountain hub, 10 speed ultegra cassette, 105 derailleur.

I was going to use it and then got weird, thinking it would mess up my chainline, but I don't know if that is even a concern with 1x10 as I haven't ever run anything like that before. Also would I need a 10 speed front chainring or is the stock one good? I'll also be using a Paul chain keeper up front.

I have since ordered up some Shimano 105 cranks to use, but am thinking of returning them to use the Bontragers.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
appleSSeed said:
I have an external bb Bontrager SS crankset from a Lemond Poprad (120mm rear spacing) that I was going to use on my Surly Crosscheck I just got. The crosscheck will be using a 135mm mountain hub, 10 speed ultegra cassette, 105 derailleur.

I was going to use it and then got weird, thinking it would mess up my chainline, but I don't know if that is even a concern with 1x10 as I haven't ever run anything like that before. Also would I need a 10 speed front chainring or is the stock one good? I'll also be using a Paul chain keeper up front.

I have since ordered up some Shimano 105 cranks to use, but am thinking of returning them to use the Bontragers.

I recommend that you do a bit of research on what chainline is (the definition) and how to measure it, and use that info to see how it applies to your setup options.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
appleSSeed said:

First off, the Poprad was 130mm, not 120mm. Second the chainline will remain exactly the same, it has nothing to do with the rear spacing. The current chainring will work fine.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
appleSSeed said:
Well the rear hub was 120mm actually and thanks for your response.
So you had a 120mm hub in a frame that is spaced 130mm...I think there would be a problem there unless someone bent the rear triangle. Very familiar with that frame, I worked on a ton of them up in Seattle. It is 130mm spaced.

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just measured and it is 130mm rear spacing on the frame. You were correct on that, my mistake. I got confused because I swapped wheelsets off of a Surly Steamroller and didn't notice any extreme differences when doing so. The wheelset off the Filmore fit the Steamroller and vice versa...no stretching or extra clamping of the axle bolts was required.

At any rate, I guess I'll keep the Bontrager crankset and return the 105 + Salsa ring + bolts and save myself some dinero. I really like the looks of the Bonty, and it matches my Surly frame.

Thanks again for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.